The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Im not going to go trawling back through but I’m not sure that’s correct? There was someone on Facebook that completely misinterpreted what someone else had written and wrongly presumed there was a witness. That then seems to have been repeated in a few places (including here from memory). But I’m not sure there’s a confirmed witness.
Anyway, the person should be banned but let’s stop with the suggestion the fashanu song was being offensive etc (not aimed at you).

I was under the impression his agent has confirmed there was a witness? Was that not the case?

27 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I was under the impression his agent has confirmed there was a witness? Was that not the case?

His agent confirmed a witness came forward on one of the Facebook threads. Not that he should have do that for Rico to be believed but it is there in writing. 

54 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Im not going to go trawling back through but I’m not sure that’s correct? There was someone on Facebook that completely misinterpreted what someone else had written and wrongly presumed there was a witness. That then seems to have been repeated in a few places (including here from memory). But I’m not sure there’s a confirmed witness.
Anyway, the person should be banned but let’s stop with the suggestion the fashanu song was being offensive etc (not aimed at you

What would happen if this song was started about a player today?  

The song was not intended to be offensive in the same way Asians or black guys were given nick names due to skin colour in the 70s and 80s.   This was seen as ok as the person didn't take it to be racist.  The world has moved on.   For anyone to say a song that only mentions he's black and gay is a joke.  To say or sing something offensive or even intended as a joke is just wrong.   The song has been sung for many years but it's how it's taken by people today not 25 years ago. 

Edited by Ballboy

25 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Probably nothing as long as the player said they were happy with the song.

"Davie Dodds, the Elephant Man" on the other hand .....

As I said previously the world has moved on.    To sing a song that only mentions skin colour and sexual orientation but people are fine with it as it isn't intended as offensive.   It's how it's viewed by others in 2021.    Black or white if I said something to you witch is offensive to others doesn't make it ok if even said as a joke.   25 years ago when fashanu played for us he wasn't likely to come out and say he was offended by his own support and possibly make things worse.   

1 hour ago, Ballboy said:

As I said previously the world has moved on.    To sing a song that only mentions skin colour and sexual orientation but people are fine with it as it isn't intended as offensive.   It's how it's viewed by others in 2021.    Black or white if I said something to you witch is offensive to others doesn't make it ok if even said as a joke.   25 years ago when fashanu played for us he wasn't likely to come out and say he was offended by his own support and possibly make things worse.   

What about (the wee prime minister) what a name to call  our Ian, 🤣🤣

14 hours ago, Ballboy said:

What would happen if this song was started about a player today?  

The song was not intended to be offensive in the same way Asians or black guys were given nick names due to skin colour in the 70s and 80s.   This was seen as ok as the person didn't take it to be racist.  The world has moved on.   For anyone to say a song that only mentions he's black and gay is a joke.  To say or sing something offensive or even intended as a joke is just wrong.   The song has been sung for many years but it's how it's taken by people today not 25 years ago. 

Completely agree, and the fact this actually needs explained to people is worrying. You cannot have a song (however affectionate it may have been) in which literally the only 2 things you mention about the person are his race and sexuality (which was presumably only started because at the time those things were 'different' or 'unusual' in Scottish football). I know people aren't meaning any harm by it and it's a form of reminiscing about a player held in high regard, but the world has moved on and singing a song in which a player's race or sexuality is brought up is just not acceptable anymore. Again, I find it worrying that this needs said.

The justification of 'well he didn't mind it' reminds me of David Brent's response in The Office when reprimanded for telling the 'Black Man's Cock' joke. It wasn't an excuse at the time, and it's certainly not relevant now given he has sadly passed on, it's about what are acceptable topics to sing about at a football game, which these clearly aren't.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Completely agree, and the fact this actually needs explained to people is worrying. You cannot have a song (however affectionate it may have been) in which literally the only 2 things you mention about the person are his race and sexuality (which was presumably only started because at the time those things were 'different' or 'unusual' in Scottish football). I know people aren't meaning any harm by it and it's a form of reminiscing about a player held in high regard, but the world has moved on and singing a song in which a player's race or sexuality is brought up is just not acceptable anymore. Again, I find it worrying that this needs said.

The justification of 'well he didn't mind it' reminds me of David Brent's response in The Office when reprimanded for telling the 'Black Man's Cock' joke. It wasn't an excuse at the time, and it's certainly not relevant now given he has sadly passed on, it's about what are acceptable topics to sing about at a football game, which these clearly aren't.

Absolutely, there are double standards everywhere and that is deemed acceptable,  with Mental Health coming to the fore , which is not before time...  With us living in a nil by mouth,   by a controlling nationalist government....

Football matches as proven recently are fair game,  giving health secretarys( why health) plenty time on tv and radio..

Is the Fashanu song acceptable could Rico (and I have the utmost respect for the lad as a player and person) take offense at the wording.....YES

Also is it acceptable to totally character assassinate players like Ryan Conroy for 90 minutes cause we dont like him....  Is that abuse acceptable....????

The crazy thing is and this is all Hypothetical.....  Rico takes offense at the Fash song, because of the wording and gets sung once,  and we end up trying to find the person singing the loudest to bring him to justice.....  taking the knee,  BLM etc Or Joe Blogs sitting next to him who has constant abuse for 80 minutes and is struggling to cope with it...

What help or protection does he get,    or is that just part of the game.........

Think about this one who do you think would get charged if Lithgow or Goodwillie went to the old bill reporting abuse and character assassination, ......  The way the law is , we would be down to crowds of about  with 150 if that went south....

.......And before any snowflakes get the wrong message I do not condone any crime or potential crime that any said individuals have had written press about......  

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Having been brought up in different times there were songs and chants that are unacceptable today but we can't change history abuse is not acceptable it comes in all shapes and forms and we should get older and wiser u can get ur religious beliefs and ur parenthood questioned just for being an Airdrie fan that we are all right wing hooligans. I believe passionately in equality for all and fight for people's rights in employment. I was brought up to believe we are all born equal sadly some people from all walks of life go to far. 

Society is the issue when you see the tweets from journalists politicians and people who should no better just in the last few weeks it is hardly settling an example.

I often wonder does the people who do this realise the pain they cause. 

This is my humble opinion and not meant to cause anyone offence. ♦️

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Absolutely, there are double standards everywhere and that is deemed acceptable,  with Mental Health coming to the fore , which is not before time...  With us living in a nil by mouth,   by a controlling nationalist government....

Football matches as proven recently are fair game,  giving health secretarys( why health) plenty time on tv and radio..

Is the Fashanu song acceptable could Rico (and I have the utmost respect for the lad as a player and person) take offense at the wording.....YES

Also is it acceptable to totally character assassinate players like Ryan Conroy for 90 minutes cause we dont like him....  Is that abuse acceptable....????

The crazy thing is and this is all Hypothetical.....  Rico takes offense at the Fash song, because of the wording and gets sung once,  and we end up trying to find the person singing the loudest to bring him to justice.....  taking the knee,  BLM etc Or Joe Blogs sitting next to him who has constant abuse for 80 minutes and is struggling to cope with it...

What help or protection does he get,    or is that just part of the game.........

Think about this one who do you think would get charged if Lithgow or Goodwillie went to the old bill reporting abuse and character assassination, ......  The way the law is , we would be down to crowds of about  with 150 if that went south....

.......And before any snowflakes get the wrong message I do not condone any crime or potential crime that any said individuals have had written press about......  

I don't think I'll ever get over the irony of folk having a moan about stuff and then complaining about snowflakes.

Anyone's guess as to how that 11 lines up. Frizzell at left back maybe? If it's Agnew at left back then I've no idea who would play the deeper role in midfield without McCabe in the squad. Could be a back 3 with Smith and Frizzell as wing backs possibly but it's not often Murray abandons a formation that's been getting results so I'd expect the usual 433 which reverts to 451 if we score first.

Enjoyed that today. We started really well, constantly pressing East Fife and Gallagher did what he does best and was in the right place at the right time to score the rebound from Smith's shot. After the first 15-20 minutes we fell out the game a bit, we allowed East Fife to look more dangerous than they were and we were pretty wasteful at the other end. Whether he meant it or not, Scott McGill's goal was excellent and it was good to see Gallagher get another, hopefully three goals this week will give him the confidence he was clearly lacking. We probably should have scored more but given we had a fairly makeshift defence I'll definitely take three goals and a clean sheet.

I thought we really missed McCabe in midfield today. Agnew was fine at recycling possession but we lacked a bit of composure and someone to take control of the game. At times we ended up playing with 5 defensive players and 5 attacking, as Agnew sat very deep while Easton, Frizzell and Smith all looked to get forward and in behind the strikers. A better team might have exposed that gap but East Fife didn't really do much about it today, most of their attacks seemed to come from poor passes and slack play from Airdrie. 

I'm still not sure about Gallagher and Kouider-Aissa up front together. Kouider-Aissa did most of the dropping deep to try and link play but from what I've seen both seem better as the focal point of the attack. It's still early days though so hopefully things will click. 

Two much needed home wins in a row, along with every other team being inconsistent, has certainly made the league table look a lot better. I was pretty critical of the team after the Falkirk game but fair play, they've turned it around since then. Another tough game next week but no reason why we can't be confident going into it.

Posted elsewhere and it has been a very good week for us on the playing front. Thought Watson was superb today and only the absence of a few more goals kept us out of the  top 4. We were a bit slack at times and it was kinda a back 5 and attacking 5 as has been said . Good to see DY lose gain. My big surprise was again seeing Dumbarton in joint top but maybe I am doing them an injustice. EF were the weakest team we have played but it was a bit nervy for a wee while. Tough game at Cove and new ground to tick off -onwards and upwards.

34 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Posted elsewhere and it has been a very good week for us on the playing front. Thought Watson was superb today and only the absence of a few more goals kept us out of the  top 4. We were a bit slack at times and it was kinda a back 5 and attacking 5 as has been said . Good to see DY lose gain. My big surprise was again seeing Dumbarton in joint top but maybe I am doing them an injustice. EF were the weakest team we have played but it was a bit nervy for a wee while. Tough game at Cove and new ground to tick off -onwards and upwards.

One good thing there shouldn’t be any player's in that East Fife team for Airdrie to poach for next season.

19 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

One good thing there shouldn’t be any player's in that East Fife team for Airdrie to poach for next season.

Of the ones we did poach the worst was Page and on current form Watson looks the best. Scott Agnew is a well respected player but he might be a bit of the veteran stage now-always tidy and keeps the shape but attacking edge seems to have gone. I always liked Ryan Wallace but returning players don't always work. Keiran Millar played today I believe and although I liked him , he did not seem to please many others. Of todays EF the guy no 20 (Bonsu?) kept working really hard and was quite good. It's still early days.