Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, G_H said:

The only "made up bullshit" is the dribble you posted about being some sort of "allyship" and pretending that you have some sort of special advantage due to being white that you need to convey onto professional footballers who are barely league 1 material. Seems quite patronising.

Out of interest. While we all agree that racism is bad, and setting this Rico situation aside - do you consider say, Marcus Rashford, or or some other top level black footballer to be disadvantaged when they are on 6 figures a week.

Oh aye, they just ignore racism and it’s like water off a ducks back because they’re rich. Are you for fucking real?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm glad this has been cleared up.

Hope you guys find the moron responsible and he gets the book chucked at him. Named and shamed, out a job, banned from games. The lot. Absolutely no time for this sort of behaviour at all - especially towards a top guy like Rico. 

Airdrie fans are a good bunch. They have a minority that give them a bad name, but any time I've been in the home end at New Broomfield as a neutral I've always found them to be some of the friendliest fans around. I've every confidence someone who heard it will get the guy named and outed.

Whatever happened and said, let's be blunt with the hassle it takes to book a seat to get into Firhill it is definitely an Airdrie fan,,     As you say Rico seems a top guy and well liked and respected by his teamates.  Hopefully with the help of PTFC the crowd control cctv will be carefully scrutinised and anything that flags up time wise will be investigated and relevant action taken....  That is all we can really say at this time, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, G_H said:

The only "made up bullshit" is the dribble you posted about being some sort of "allyship" and pretending that you have some sort of special advantage due to being white that you need to convey onto professional footballers who are barely league 1 material. Seems quite patronising.

Out of interest. While we all agree that racism is bad, and setting this Rico situation aside - do you consider say, Marcus Rashford, or or some other top level black footballer to be disadvantaged when they are on 6 figures a week.

Dude, you a crazy kinda muthafucka.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

Oh aye, they just ignore racism and it’s like water off a ducks back because they’re rich. Are you for fucking real?

I'm not an expert but I believe the dynamic is captured by a concept called intersectionality.  There are different kinds of privilege / disadvantage.  In places like the US and UK, if I'm white, male, hetero, rich and have no disability then I have maximum privilege.  If I'm female, poor, gay, black and have a disability then I'm fucked.  All variants in between exist somewhere on the privileged / fucked continuum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

I'm not an expert but I believe the dynamic is captured by a concept called intersectionality.  There are different kinds of privilege / disadvantage.  In places like the US and UK, if I'm white, male, hetero, rich and have no disability then I have maximum privilege.  If I'm female, poor, gay, black and have a disability then I'm fucked.  All variants in between exist somewhere on the privileged / fucked continuum.

I do agree with what's been posted about this going by what you said what's your opinion on the fashanu song sung by more than a few voices usually at away games? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ballboy said:

I do agree with what's been posted about this going by what you said what's your opinion on the fashanu song sung by more than a few voices usually at away games? 

It's probably his opinion that mattered the most.  From what I read he accepted it as it was intended, a sign of affection from the fans.

Edited by stuartcraig
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s an absolute fact that an element of our support are well and truly capable of being racist, bigoted and a few other things. 

I’m not going to pretend to be shocked by the news this happened but it is absolutely sickening and shameful never the less. For people to accuse Rico of hearing wrong or making it up is bewildering to say the least (it’s more than just the ones on here if you check other social media). 
 

Thankfully the majority of our fans will do the decent thing and call this out for the disgrace it is. As they have done with other injustices too. 
 

I hope Rico is doing ok and I hope he will continue to want to play for the club as I have no idea what must be going through the poor lads head rite now. 
 

On the debate of “abusing” players as long as any criticism is based on a players performance I personally don’t have an issue with it. The argument that “I don’t get abuse at my job ” doesn’t work for me as I don’t have 800 fans paying to watch me work which contributes to my wages. That’s just how I see that part. As soon as anything said to a player is based on a personal trait or characteristic then it’s went beyond acceptable behaviour. Many will disagree but that’s just how I see it. 
 

One thing I will add is any fan of any other club wanting to come on here to score cheap digs against the club and wider fan base can f**k rite off. All your doing is showing yourself to be a dick who isn’t showing any care for the real issue at hand here. We all have supporters at our clubs we are ashamed of. Keep this to looking after Rico not scoring cheap digs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

On the debate of “abusing” players as long as any criticism is based on a players performance I personally don’t have an issue with it. The argument that “I don’t get abuse at my job ” doesn’t work for me as I don’t have 800 fans paying to watch me work which contributes to my wages.

Most of us know that we shouldn't but we still do it because it feels good to get that emotion off our chest.

I draw the line at abusing Airdrie players but match officials and opposition managers and players are fair game.

Edited by stuartcraig
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of us know that we shouldn't but we still do it because it feels good to get that emotion off our chest.
I draw the line at abusing Airdrie players but match officials and opposition managers and players are fair game.

Is your line out of support or what you think is acceptable? I don't really give anyone "abuse" at games but will sometimes air my displeasure with whoever has 'upset' me. I think if you give it to one set of folk (say officials) then you can't have a go at someone for having a pop at their own players.

Unless of course your reasoning for not doing it to your own players is down to you seeing it as counterproductive.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:


Is your line out of support or what you think is acceptable? I don't really give anyone "abuse" at games but will sometimes air my displeasure with whoever has 'upset' me. I think if you give it to one set of folk (say officials) then you can't have a go at someone for having a pop at their own players.

Unless of course your reasoning for not doing it to your own players is down to you seeing it as counterproductive.

It's based on my typical reaction to shite play by an Airdrie shirt being disappointment rather than anger.  The folk sitting next to me might notice a weary sigh.

Also .... I don't think that it helps to players improve but I'm not that "in control" of my emotions to be able to apply that reasoning before I react.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

It’s an absolute fact that an element of our support are well and truly capable of being racist, bigoted and a few other things. 

I’m not going to pretend to be shocked by the news this happened but it is absolutely sickening and shameful never the less. For people to accuse Rico of hearing wrong or making it up is bewildering to say the least (it’s more than just the ones on here if you check other social media). 
 

Thankfully the majority of our fans will do the decent thing and call this out for the disgrace it is. As they have done with other injustices too. 
 

I hope Rico is doing ok and I hope he will continue to want to play for the club as I have no idea what must be going through the poor lads head rite now. 
 

On the debate of “abusing” players as long as any criticism is based on a players performance I personally don’t have an issue with it. The argument that “I don’t get abuse at my job ” doesn’t work for me as I don’t have 800 fans paying to watch me work which contributes to my wages. That’s just how I see that part. As soon as anything said to a player is based on a personal trait or characteristic then it’s went beyond acceptable behaviour. Many will disagree but that’s just how I see it. 
 

One thing I will add is any fan of any other club wanting to come on here to score cheap digs against the club and wider fan base can f**k rite off. All your doing is showing yourself to be a dick who isn’t showing any care for the real issue at hand here. We all have supporters at our clubs we are ashamed of. Keep this to looking after Rico not scoring cheap digs. 

 

2 hours ago, Moon said:

Can't believe Rico's word is being doubted on this...solidarity to him and hope the club's investigation is swift and conclusive.

It's been great to see the vast majority of supporters have called out this disgusting act for what it is and have likewise shown disgust, anger, disappointment and embarrassment that such a thing should happen and shown full solidarity and support to and with Rico. It's also been encouraging to see the club be proactive (they started their investigation on Sunday) and promise zero tolerance in a lifetime ban for the culprit. Some of the reactions on here and social media have been disappointing however. Genuinely think it's bizarre that some folk's first reaction would be to question Rico and whether or not it actually happened rather than show another human being (Airdrie player or not) solidarity after being racially abused. Like I would have thought that's the first basic instinct of supporting a football club and its players AND being a decent person. Some odd and completely beyond the pale victim blaming and false comparisons also.  Why would he make it up? Why would he describe such traumatic events and want the club to publicly open an investigation against one of its supporters if it wasn't true? 

Hopefully we can begin to make strides in eradicating this problem once and for all by banning the perpetrator and offering Rico our full support and solidarity from Saturday onwards. I am no expert and something more substantial or long-lasting would be ideal but even something like a minute's applause for Rico on Saturday could make for a worthwhile gesture.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

It’s an absolute fact that an element of our support are well and truly capable of being racist, bigoted and a few other things. 

I’m not going to pretend to be shocked by the news this happened but it is absolutely sickening and shameful never the less. For people to accuse Rico of hearing wrong or making it up is bewildering to say the least (it’s more than just the ones on here if you check other social media). 
 

I did notice the usual suspects on the Facebook page doing that. Not surprising but a very, very sad indictment.

Edited by cb_diamond
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here we go Ban the Section B,Let's just state a few facts here 

1.Leaders of the Section B were behind the incentives of The DDA and fought tirelessly to keep the club running

2.Leaders of the section B organised a charity night where Reaction Played to raise funds for Airdrie 

3.Leaders of the Section B Raised money for local charities and the community 

4.Leaders of the section B were behind the DFC and stopped airdrie going out of business twice

 

The incident on Saturday had nothing to do with The Section B

And people on here have short memories,if it wasn't for the B there wouldn't be an airdrie 

 

Think On!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spanish Armada said:

Here we go Ban the Section B,Let's just state a few facts here 

1.Leaders of the Section B were behind the incentives of The DDA and fought tirelessly to keep the club running

2.Leaders of the section B organised a charity night where Reaction Played to raise funds for Airdrie 

3.Leaders of the Section B Raised money for local charities and the community 

4.Leaders of the section B were behind the DFC and stopped airdrie going out of business twice

 

The incident on Saturday had nothing to do with The Section B

And people on here have short memories,if it wasn't for the B there wouldn't be an airdrie 

 

Think On!

This would literally only apply if you are stating beyond a doubt that the Section B and their "leaders" are knuckledragging racists? No? If that isn't the case, then the point you just made is irrelevant? 

Racists and Bigots can come from any area of a clubs support. Really odd rant from yourself.

Edited by cb_diamond
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Here we go Ban the Section B,Let's just state a few facts here 

1.Leaders of the Section B were behind the incentives of The DDA and fought tirelessly to keep the club running

2.Leaders of the section B organised a charity night where Reaction Played to raise funds for Airdrie 

3.Leaders of the Section B Raised money for local charities and the community 

4.Leaders of the section B were behind the DFC and stopped airdrie going out of business twice

 

The incident on Saturday had nothing to do with The Section B

And people on here have short memories,if it wasn't for the B there wouldn't be an airdrie 

 

Think On!

Don't think anybody has said otherwise or disagrees with or disputes what you mention above. 
 

Equally it doesn’t matter which section of the support the culprit comes from. If they’re in the B, go on the Bible bus, are in the Airdrie Aces, play for the Swally or whatever. Once they’re caught they should be turfed out and banned for life. 

Edited by airdrieman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

This would literally only apply if you are stating beyond a doubt that the Section B and their "leaders" are knuckledragging racists? No? If that isn't the case, then the point you just made is irrelevant? 

Racists and Bigots can come from any area of a clubs support. Really odd rant from yourself.

I'm not saying that what I'm saying is everyone blames the B for everything bad that happens also folk that were at the game heard f**k all racist abuse 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, airdrieman said:

l but even something like a minute's applause for Rico on Saturday could make for a worthwhile gesture.  

I hope you all clap and cheer Rico as hard as you can on saturday. Maybe you will end racism, save the NHS and possibly even revive tinkerbell while you are at it.

I also hope that we sign a more capable left back next season be they black, white, space alien, or anywhere in between. Although that would run contrary to club form given that we had a good one last year and clearly didn't make much of an effort to hold onto them.

Looking forward to finding out what the outcome of the clubs investigations over this incident are, or will it perhaps die off into the ether never to be heard of again, hmmmm...

Edited by G_H
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope you all clap and cheer Rico as hard as you can on saturday. Maybe you will end racism, save the NHS and possibly even revive tinkerbell while you are at it.
I also hope that we sign a more capable left back next season be they black, white, space alien, or anywhere in between. Although that would run contrary to club form given that we had a good one last year and clearly didn't make much of an effort to hold onto them.
Looking forward to finding out what the outcome of the clubs investigations over this incident are, or will it perhaps die off into the ether never to be heard of again, hmmmm...

^^^ Boos players who take the knee.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...