The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

28 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

From my perspective, it's called allyship.  I have privilege because I'm white in a majority white country - the least I and others like me can do is use that privilege to let Rico know he is supported and that there are plenty of people willing to call out the abuse he received as unacceptable.

Yeah sorry, but I refuse to provide preferential treatment based on skin colour, gender identity etc. People have equal value regardless of these characteristics.

May have had a word if something particularly abhorrent was said in my hearing range (obviously not possible as was not at the game), but here's the reality for you - clearly no one thought or did much about it when it happened as the club are appealing for witnesses half a week after the event.

So again - not sure why the big song and dance.

Edited by G_H

I'm going with: The club can sort it out and I don't see why I should worry about it either way (unless it means that Rico's skin colour somehow confers immunity to being told he is crap at playing at left back), however I don't see the point of this wee bit of performance art being exhibited by a few of you over it .

Mask seems to be slipping here.

16 minutes ago, G_H said:

Yeah sorry, but I refuse to provide preferential treatment based on skin colour, gender identity etc. People have equal value regardless of these characteristics.

May have had a word if something particularly abhorrent was said in my hearing range (obviously not possible as was not at the game), but here's the reality for you - clearly no one thought or did much about it when it happened as the club are appealing for witnesses half a week after the event.

So again - not sure why the big song and dance.

In what world is supporting someone against racism  "preferential treatment". 

As for what took them a few days to come out with it, for all we know Quitongo and/or the club either wasn't sure how they wanted to proceed or didn't want to make an announcement immediately before a home game.

Just now, NorthernDiamond said:

In what world is supporting someone against racism  "preferential treatment". 

Stuart indicated that he was extending his support on this item specifically due to Rico being black, I was simply countering that position as I don't think that someone being of any particular ethnicity is a good reason to bandwagon up.

As for what took them a few days to come out with it, for all we know Quitongo and/or the club either wasn't sure how they wanted to proceed or didn't want to make an announcement immediately before a home game.

Fair enough re: club reaction, however most of my point was in reference to the crowd's lack of reaction.

Fair enough re: club reaction, however most of my point was in reference to the crowd's lack of reaction.

Maybe people heard it but the idiot was surrounded by other fellow idiots and decided it wasn’t worth the risk of trouble. Just because no-one said anything doesn’t mean it wasn’t said. Fucking hell

53 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Jesus H Christ, you mean this is still happening at Airdrie. I haven't been for around 20 years but assumed the nazi salute shit had been binned in  the 90's. Saturday's incident has perhaps highlighted the need for those in charge of the club to address the abhorrent problem once and for all. And no, this doesn't happen at other clubs

To be complete fair, the vast majority of it has pretty much died out as our fanbase has dwindled away, the Robinson stuff a few years ago was likely the last major incident before this. It's more the fact that there is plenty of previous there for these kinds of behaviours among that small, but vocal minority.

2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Maybe people heard it but the idiot was surrounded by other fellow idiots and decided it wasn’t worth the risk of trouble. Just because no-one said anything doesn’t mean it wasn’t said. Fucking hell

Ah, so it didn't bother them that much then?

Can't have it both ways. Either it was a huge deal or it isn't.

I don't know as I've no idea what was said, which is also why I'm not going to dance around the totem pole with many of the rest of you  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, G_H said:

Stuart indicated that he was extending his support on this item specifically due to Rico being black, I was simply countering that position as I don't think that someone being of any particular ethnicity is a good reason to bandwagon up.

The point about supporting Rico "specifically due to being black" would make sense only if we lived in a totally colour blind world, which as this incident helps prove, we don't. 

Speaking out in support of people who have received racist abuse isn't jumping on a bandwagon it's basic human decency

11 minutes ago, G_H said:

Nope, I said I was extending my support on the grounds that he's been subject to racist abuse.

1 minute ago, stuartcraig said:

Are you saying that calling out racism and supporting those who are subject to racist abuse is "preferential treatment"?

Would you be doing it if say (excuse the bizarre examples) a chinese guy racially abused a native american, or a phillipino racially abused a white person, or any other combination? If so then fill your boots. Otherwise it's double standards surely.

6 minutes ago, G_H said:

Ah, so it didn't bother them that much then?

Can't have it both ways. Either it was a huge deal or it isn't.

I don't know as I've no idea what was said, which is also why I'm not going to dance around the totem pole with many of the rest of you  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or it was a huge deal and they thought "the club should do something about that racist fan".

Or dozens of other hypothetical scenarios.

2 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Nope, I said I was extending my support on the grounds that he's been subject to racist abuse.

No, you injected identity politics into your rationale

From my perspective, it's called allyship.  I have privilege because I'm white in a majority white country - the least I and others like me can do is use that privilege to let Rico know he is supported and that there are plenty of people willing to call out the abuse he received as unacceptable.

Just now, G_H said:

Would you be doing it if say (excuse the bizarre examples) a chinese guy racially abused a native american, or a phillipino racially abused a white person, or any other combination? If so then fill your boots. Otherwise it's double standards surely.

Probably, if I had the guts to do it but good example of a strawman.

25 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

"Identity politics" - pretty poor.

Yes I agree, going down the route of identify politics to justify this circle jerk borne from an almost total lack of information is pretty poor, glad we see eye to eye.

1 hour ago, G_H said:

The problem is that society does not give equal value, regardless of characteristics, on any of these fronts. You’ll never hear a player in Scotland being called abused and called a “white b*****d” for example. 

25 minutes ago, an86 said:

The problem is that society does not give equal value, regardless of characteristics, on any of these fronts. You’ll never hear a player in Scotland being called abused and called a “white b*****d” for example. 

Swap useless for white and I have heard that a few  times, get back to talking about last nights  result♦️♦️♦️♦️