Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, G_H said:

I'm going with: The club can sort it out and I don't see why I should worry about it either way (unless it means that Rico's skin colour somehow confers immunity to being told he is crap at playing at left back), however I don't see the point of this wee bit of performance art being exhibited by a few of you over it .

Yea why worry about one of our players potentially being racially abused.

Also nobody is arguing that our players can't be criticised so I don't know why you're digging in on that, the point is that no player should have to do deal with racist abuse regardless of performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, G_H said:

I'm going with: The club can sort it out and I don't see why I should worry about it either way, however I don't see the point of this wee bit of performance art being exhibited by a few of you over it .

From my perspective, it's called allyship.  I have privilege because I'm white in a majority white country - the least I and others like me can do is use that privilege to let Rico know he is supported and that there are plenty of people willing to call out the abuse he received as unacceptable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Absolutely abhorrent behaviour from this individual. Needs a life ban asap. Add me to the list of people sick to the back teeth of the very small but admittedly very visible to the outside world group of "extreme right wing" numpties that have attached themselves to the club for many, many years. Tommy Robinson, Klan hoods, unacceptable salutes during songs. Moronic stuff, that bewildering gets defended by some. 

Jesus H Christ, you mean this is still happening at Airdrie. I haven't been for around 20 years but assumed the nazi salute shit had been binned in  the 90's. Saturday's incident has perhaps highlighted the need for those in charge of the club to address the abhorrent problem once and for all. And no, this doesn't happen at other clubs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

I remember having a go at a boy up at East Fife for singling out Nat wedderburn for abuse , so it's not just an isolated thing sadly. 

 

Feel for Rico,  was written off before he had even kicked a ball by folk and then this. No wonder we cant get players in , who would want to play for us ! I'd say the fans should do something as a show of support but not sure what. 

A wee bit unfair branding  all fan  because of one bad one, one of our fans heard a boy shout (get on your man) and Rico looked up at him, maybe jumped the gun and mistook what he heard  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

From my perspective, it's called allyship.  I have privilege because I'm white in a majority white country - the least I and others like me can do is use that privilege to let Rico know he is supported and that there are plenty of people willing to call out the abuse he received as unacceptable.

Yeah sorry, but I refuse to provide preferential treatment based on skin colour, gender identity etc. People have equal value regardless of these characteristics.

May have had a word if something particularly abhorrent was said in my hearing range (obviously not possible as was not at the game), but here's the reality for you - clearly no one thought or did much about it when it happened as the club are appealing for witnesses half a week after the event.

So again - not sure why the big song and dance.

Edited by G_H
Link to comment
Share on other sites



I'm going with: The club can sort it out and I don't see why I should worry about it either way (unless it means that Rico's skin colour somehow confers immunity to being told he is crap at playing at left back), however I don't see the point of this wee bit of performance art being exhibited by a few of you over it .


Mask seems to be slipping here.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, G_H said:

Yeah sorry, but I refuse to provide preferential treatment based on skin colour, gender identity etc. People have equal value regardless of these characteristics.

May have had a word if something particularly abhorrent was said in my hearing range (obviously not possible as was not at the game), but here's the reality for you - clearly no one thought or did much about it when it happened as the club are appealing for witnesses half a week after the event.

So again - not sure why the big song and dance.

In what world is supporting someone against racism  "preferential treatment". 

As for what took them a few days to come out with it, for all we know Quitongo and/or the club either wasn't sure how they wanted to proceed or didn't want to make an announcement immediately before a home game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NorthernDiamond said:

In what world is supporting someone against racism  "preferential treatment". 

Stuart indicated that he was extending his support on this item specifically due to Rico being black, I was simply countering that position as I don't think that someone being of any particular ethnicity is a good reason to bandwagon up.

Quote

As for what took them a few days to come out with it, for all we know Quitongo and/or the club either wasn't sure how they wanted to proceed or didn't want to make an announcement immediately before a home game.

Fair enough re: club reaction, however most of my point was in reference to the crowd's lack of reaction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fair enough re: club reaction, however most of my point was in reference to the crowd's lack of reaction.


Maybe people heard it but the idiot was surrounded by other fellow idiots and decided it wasn’t worth the risk of trouble. Just because no-one said anything doesn’t mean it wasn’t said. Fucking hell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Jesus H Christ, you mean this is still happening at Airdrie. I haven't been for around 20 years but assumed the nazi salute shit had been binned in  the 90's. Saturday's incident has perhaps highlighted the need for those in charge of the club to address the abhorrent problem once and for all. And no, this doesn't happen at other clubs

To be complete fair, the vast majority of it has pretty much died out as our fanbase has dwindled away, the Robinson stuff a few years ago was likely the last major incident before this. It's more the fact that there is plenty of previous there for these kinds of behaviours among that small, but vocal minority.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Maybe people heard it but the idiot was surrounded by other fellow idiots and decided it wasn’t worth the risk of trouble. Just because no-one said anything doesn’t mean it wasn’t said. Fucking hell

 

Ah, so it didn't bother them that much then?

Can't have it both ways. Either it was a huge deal or it isn't.

I don't know as I've no idea what was said, which is also why I'm not going to dance around the totem pole with many of the rest of you  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, G_H said:

Stuart indicated that he was extending his support on this item specifically due to Rico being black, I was simply countering that position as I don't think that someone being of any particular ethnicity is a good reason to bandwagon up.

Fair enough re: club reaction, however most of my point was in reference to the crowd's lack of reaction.

The point about supporting Rico "specifically due to being black" would make sense only if we lived in a totally colour blind world, which as this incident helps prove, we don't. 

Speaking out in support of people who have received racist abuse isn't jumping on a bandwagon it's basic human decency

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, G_H said:

Stuart indicated that he was extending his support on this item specifically due to Rico being black, I was simply countering that position as I don't think that someone being of any particular ethnicity is a good reason to bandwagon up.

Nope, I said I was extending my support on the grounds that he's been subject to racist abuse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stuartcraig said:

Are you saying that calling out racism and supporting those who are subject to racist abuse is "preferential treatment"?

Would you be doing it if say (excuse the bizarre examples) a chinese guy racially abused a native american, or a phillipino racially abused a white person, or any other combination? If so then fill your boots. Otherwise it's double standards surely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, G_H said:

Ah, so it didn't bother them that much then?

Can't have it both ways. Either it was a huge deal or it isn't.

I don't know as I've no idea what was said, which is also why I'm not going to dance around the totem pole with many of the rest of you  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or it was a huge deal and they thought "the club should do something about that racist fan".

Or dozens of other hypothetical scenarios.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Nope, I said I was extending my support on the grounds that he's been subject to racist abuse.

No, you injected identity politics into your rationale

Quote

From my perspective, it's called allyship.  I have privilege because I'm white in a majority white country - the least I and others like me can do is use that privilege to let Rico know he is supported and that there are plenty of people willing to call out the abuse he received as unacceptable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, G_H said:

Would you be doing it if say (excuse the bizarre examples) a chinese guy racially abused a native american, or a phillipino racially abused a white person, or any other combination? If so then fill your boots. Otherwise it's double standards surely.

Probably, if I had the guts to do it but good example of a strawman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...