The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Really disappointed to read that from Rico. I was at the game on Saturday but never heard anything like this, we’re not exactly a massive fanbase though so surely someone must have heard it and knows who it was? Hopefully the club are able to identify them and ban them. I had hoped we were starting to move beyond a small group of our fans being a frequent embarrassment to the club but apparently not. 

Disgusted, ashamed, embarrassed and angry to read that. Full solidarity with Rico and I hope the club find the culprit and show zero tolerance towards them. They should be banned for life and never even so much as be made to feel welcome at anything to do with the football club again. 

I know it can be intimidating but this sort of nonsense has to be called out in the stands too. Even if it’s just telling a steward or getting a group of folk to confront them with you, they absolutely need to be confronted and be made to feel unwelcome, unwanted and unsafe. Zero tolerance from the club and the fans. A gesture of solidarity towards Rico would be good and let him know that he has got the backing of the club and the support and that this shit won’t fly. 

8 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Is that an attempt at a joke? Hopefully whoever it was is identified and banned from the stadium by the club. Takes a lot of guts for Rico to make that kind of statement and I salute him for it. Would be good if we could give him a show of support from the crowd on Saturday imo.

Someone else will know who done this, that's the second incident on sat, boy angry at directors or someone, 

Like the other guys have said above - ashamed and angry. Woke up this morning after a good result against Alloa to read this. Feel kind of sick. Disgusting, intolerable behaviour that drags the club and the good supporters down.

I was at the game with by boy and didn't hear anything being shouted from where I was sitting. And if I had (I am sure like others), then I would have called the idiot out (I am being kind by using the word "idiot" and biting my tongue here) 

But lets be clear - the person who shouted abuse to Rico - is not an Airdrie fan, is not a football fan and shouldn't be welcome at Airdrie.

Hopefully the culprit will be found and banned from all football games.

Happy to get to my feet on Saturday and chant "Rico" for a minute for solidarity for the boy.

Edited by Roger Thornhill

Sorry - still seething - surely with ticket allocation - and Rico mentioning the abuse coming from around the family area - then they will able to deduce where the abuse came from. (I am assuming he is speaking about the seats that were taken up by players partners and families near the front of the Jackie Husband stand.

I remember having a go at a boy up at East Fife for singling out Nat wedderburn for abuse , so it's not just an isolated thing sadly. 

Feel for Rico,  was written off before he had even kicked a ball by folk and then this. No wonder we cant get players in , who would want to play for us ! I'd say the fans should do something as a show of support but not sure what. 

1 hour ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Like the other guys have said above - ashamed and angry. Woke up this morning after a good result against Alloa to read this. Feel kind of sick. Disgusting, intolerable behaviour that drags the club and the good supporters down.

I was at the game with by boy and didn't hear anything being shouted from where I was sitting. And if I had (I am sure like others), then I would have called the idiot out (I am being kind by using the word "idiot" and biting my tongue here) 

But lets be clear - the person who shouted abuse to Rico - is not an Airdrie fan, is not a football fan and shouldn't be welcome at Airdrie.

Hopefully the culprit will be found and banned from all football games.

Happy to get to my feet on Saturday and chant "Rico" for a minute for solidarity for the boy.

Yes they are. 

6 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Yes they are. 

Yeah this is one of the big issues for me. On the whole I don’t think most Airdrie fans are any worse than fans of any other club but there’s always been that small group of fans who consistently cause problems. As much as it’s easy to say they’re not a real fan, unfortunately they are and they’re a problem. The club need to make a strong statement about this and deal with it quickly.

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah this is one of the big issues for me. On the whole I don’t think most Airdrie fans are any worse than fans of any other club but there’s always been that small group of fans who consistently cause problems. As much as it’s easy to say they’re not a real fan, unfortunately they are and they’re a problem. The club need to make a strong statement about this and deal with it quickly.

Agreed. And as you say, it's not a problem unique to Airdrie. Every club, including my own, will have fans that think and say things like this. 

18 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Agree. We can’t just move onto promoting the next game and leave Rico to address this himself. I expect and need to see a strong reaction from those in charge. Fed-up with this element of our support.

32 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Yes they are. 

14 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Agreed. And as you say, it's not a problem unique to Airdrie. Every club, including my own, will have fans that think and say things like this. 

"is not an Airdrie fan" - I wrote that in a nonliteral sense.

23 minutes ago, Mr November said:

2 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Agree. We can’t just move onto promoting the next game and leave Rico to address this himself. I expect and need to see a strong reaction from those in charge. Fed-up with this element of our support.

Total agree. A strong statement from the club and hopefully a show of solidarity from the fans on Saturday towards Rico.

Absolutely abhorrent behaviour from this individual. Needs a life ban asap. Add me to the list of people sick to the back teeth of the very small but admittedly very visible to the outside world group of "extreme right wing" numpties that have attached themselves to the club for many, many years. Tommy Robinson, Klan hoods, unacceptable salutes during songs. Moronic stuff, that bewildering gets defended by some. 

6 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Absolutely abhorrent behaviour from this individual. Needs a life ban asap. Add me to the list of people sick to the back teeth of the very small but admittedly very visible to the outside world group of "extreme right wing" numpties that have attached themselves to the club for many, many years. Tommy Robinson, Klan hoods, unacceptable salutes during songs. Moronic stuff, that bewildering gets defended by some. 

I remember calling out Tommy R’s visit to Broomfield as nothing short of an embarrassment/shameful  and was savaged for it.

Edited by She who dares gins

Meh...

I'm seeing all this hand wringing without knowing what was actually said.

Obviously racial abuse is unacceptable and the club need to deal with that accordingly.

However if you are playing pish then you deserve to be called out on that, just not racially.

Glad I haven't been to any games yet in person this season, as it's been one shitshow after the other. However great to finally see 3 points from the game against Alloa.

Meh...
I'm seeing all this hand wringing without knowing what was actually said.
Obviously racial abuse is unacceptable and the club need to deal with that accordingly.
However if you are playing pish then you deserve to be called out on that, just not racially.
Glad I haven't been to any games yet in person this season, as it's been one shitshow after the other. However great to finally see 3 points from the game against Alloa.

See tbh how would you call someone out for playing pish? By shouting abuse? I don’t really think part time footballers get paid enough to get abuse from football fans, even when playing pish.

If you were doing shite at your job would you be happy for your customers to turn up and shout abuse at you from ten yards away? Don’t think you would. I realise that it happens in football but doesn’t make it right.

I actually feel sorry for people that shout racial abuse. They are clearly uneducated and their lives must be so vacant of something that they feel the need to abuse someone for the colour of their skin

11 minutes ago, Aufc said:

See tbh how would you call someone out for playing pish? By shouting abuse? I don’t really think part time footballers get paid enough to get abuse from football fans, even when playing pish.

If you were doing shite at your job would you be happy for your customers to turn up and shout abuse at you from ten yards away? Don’t think you would. I realise that it happens in football but doesn’t make it right.

I actually feel sorry for people that shout racial abuse. They are clearly uneducated and their lives must be so vacant of something that they feel the need to abuse someone for the colour of their skin

This is a false equivalence.

As someone who manages people myself, I have a responsibility to provide honest performance reviews and be critical where necessary (which affects pay rises incidentally). Am I shouting it from a stand? No of course not, it's an entirely different situation, and criticism has it's place as a motivator.

We do get negative feedback via social media (we are a very large and recognisable company), and while that is not my area, as my department is not customer facing it does touch on topics where the company I work for should be working to do better at.

In the 90s at broomfield, during the clubs most successful period in modern history, we gave as much stick to our own players as was given to the opposition, and here in 2021 people appear to be rather overly fragile when it comes to mere words.

As I said, that doesn't make racial abuse acceptable, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions without having all the facts in hand, as feels before reals and tripping over oneself to virtue signal is a losing mindset. The matter is for the club to deal with accordingly.

Edited by G_H

I remember having a go at a boy up at East Fife for singling out Nat wedderburn for abuse , so it's not just an isolated thing sadly. 

Racial abuse?

It's part and parcel of the game though, at all levels. I think there's 'football abuse' and then there's 'too far'. I rarely shout any direct comments at players (I think the last time was at Alan Martin GK after yet another clanger. And to show how much it takes to make me shout at an individual, he was actually subbed at HT. That's how bad he was) but don't have any issue with fans doing it providing it's in relation to their performance. Getting personal is an entirely different thing though.

Being PT doesn't make a difference. I've watched lower league football and witnessed fans getting frustrated at the players. I think if people have to pay money then they're going to make their feelings known if they feel they're being short-changed.

The argument about "How would people like it if they got abuse at their work" is a two way street. No one would want to be abused at their work but the flipside of that is if people did their job so badly (like a lot of footballers do) then they'd be for the chop. Regardless of how bad a game a player has he'll still be in a job (for a year anyway) and on full pay.