The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

My best guess:

Fordyce as sweeper, 2 wingers on each side, gallacher wandering around offside at centre forward, and everyone else scattered randomly in midfield and told to chase the ball around like a bunch of schoolkids at lunchtime. punt and hope.

Edited by G_H

That was a very pleasing 80+ minutes. I was a wee bit surprised at the defence but McCabe often plays really deep and he had a very composed game. We also had no worries about just clearing it on occasions but  there was also some good lobbed passes to the front runners. I was worried about McDonald as their No 2 was a sprightly forward but he stuck at it. Scott McGill also deserves credit for doing a good job ( better than Wardrop). We played some really good football with the interpassing of Easton/Frizzell and Agnew had the kind of game I was hoping for . I  don't think he lost the ball at all. Gabby had a busy time and well deserved his goal . Callum Smith finally came good in the 2nd half and he can't be faulted for his work rate. Gal still looks out of sorts and he missed a real pinch, scoring that would have helped him as much as us.  The penalty was a wonderful pass by Easton and it was so good to see Conroy make the error. I only heard the third goal as the camera appeared to be following some other ball in the mist. Peterhead's subs did get them back in and at first i thought Currie had done well to punch it away, but it was a great volley by Brown. Fears of being overwhelmed did start as Frizzell seemed to run out of energy, but bringing on Dean Ritchie would be a step too far. Relieved to get the win and pleased with much of our play. The commentators were quite good and I did wonder why we played in a dark jersey where the white top would have made it easier for me to see on a misty screen.  Good to see the travelling band behind the goals and the team clapping them-it's maybe as well I stay away? Missed the fish supper but the Curry was great again. Out of the bottom two  so let's catch up by upsetting Barry Ferguson.

Great result given the circumstances. Need to put a run together now. A win over Alloa next week, and ideally teams above us dropping points, will see us right back in the mix. I'm not sure when exactly the positive tests happened but hopefully we'll get at least some bodies back next week. I'm not sure how fit he is but good to see Salim back this afternoon. Gal isn't quite up and running yet (although glad to see he got the assist for Gabby's goal) so getting Salim fit and firing can only help us in terms of winning games and killing teams off.

Hope the fans who went up and the players and staff enjoy their night and speedy recovery to all the players who have tested positive. 

Edited by airdrieman

He was never a player I particularly noticed when playing for other teams, but Rhys McCabe has been excellent for us so far. Controls games, always communicating, great eye for a pass and a cracking free-kick. He can also play centre-half apparently! Been impressed so far and he’ll obviously be a key player for us. 

Gabby McGill has also proven to be a bit of a find. When we signed him I had zero expectations for him based on his record and prior reputation but he’s certainly been effective for us thus far. I don’t think he’s necessarily a brilliant technical footballer, and he’s not a wide player either, but the long diagonals have worked well and you can’t argue at all with 4 goals in 5 games. Would never have thought in a forward line containing Gallagher, Salim and even Smith he would be the most prolific even at this stage but fair play to him! 

Credit to Matty McDonald and Scott McGill for their performances yesterday too. I like them both but they’re both pretty raw in their own positions as is so to play an entire game out of position under a reasonable amount of pressure is good going. 

I do wonder if we might see a defender come in on loan this week? If Kerr and Lyons are going to be out for any length of time then, even discounting Covid, we’re relatively short in there. Fair enough McCabe worked well in there yesterday but it’s not a long-term solution. As said hope all the guys with Covid make a full and speedy recovery and we get at least a couple of bodies back next week. 

16 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

A bit concerned that Peterheid might pull off the Houdini act from a few years ago (3-1 down, 10 mins to go and win 4-3)

I think that was a home game and after Nicky Cadden had scored a penalty? A midweek game? Will need to check archive etc. Like you I was a wee bit sweating!

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It was Boxing Day 2015 . Parry had been sent off and P'Heid went down to 10 from Cadden's penalty but scored 3 in last 10 minutes. The wonderful days of Eddie Wolecki Black. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

I think that was Wolecki Black’s first game in charge. I wasn’t convinced by his appointment but I remember thinking at 3-1 that we actually looked pretty good and maybe this might actually work out alright. Unfortunately it ended up being more like the last 10 minutes. 

On 22/08/2021 at 17:03, Mr November said:

I think that was Wolecki Black’s first game in charge. I wasn’t convinced by his appointment but I remember thinking at 3-1 that we actually looked pretty good and maybe this might actually work out alright. Unfortunately it ended up being more like the last 10 minutes. 

I know it ended badly for him but like you I was not convinced of where he would take us. Mind you we could say that of many of our recent managers.

1 minute ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I know it ended badly for him but like you I was not convinced of where he would take us. Mind you we could say that of many of our recent managers.

Probably the most structured and professional set up since the reformation is the current one , 

3 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Nice guy, and somebody who I think could have added a lot to a club at academy or women's level but never a manager at first team level. Talked a (in relative terms) huge game for somebody with zero track record in men's football and was getting found out. Obviously we'll never know how it would all have panned out but I don't think it would have been any better than what we got under McBride and Wilson. The Stenny game which followed that Peterhead game was eye-bleedingly bad. Interestingly, he's back involved in men's football in Airdrie with Gartcairn. Hope it works out for him.