The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

15 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

Fairly selective screenshot that. Don't think it is as black and white as that would suggest though...

Your replay shows your player step across Wardrop. Could even be classed as a foul against him. Either way, there was nowhere near enough contact to merit your player rolling about like he'd been shot. Play acting at its best but that's the modern game these days I suppose. It's sad seeing a team chase a ref to try and get an opposition player sent off, especially for something as innocuous as that. 

Anyway, what's done is done and no amount of debating will change the result. We only have ourselves to blame for not being able to hang onto a 2 goal lead. And over the course of the season there'll be ones like that which go in Airdrie's favour and I'll probably defend them as staunchly as you are. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

12 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Your replay shows your player step across Wardrop. Could even be classed as a foul against him. Either way, there was nowhere near enough contact to merit your player rolling about like he'd been shot. Play acting at its best but that's the modern game these days I suppose. It's sad seeing a team chase a ref to try and get an opposition player sent off, especially for something as innocuous as that. 

Anyway, what's done is done and no amount of debating will change the result. We only have ourselves to blame for not being able to hang onto a 2 goal lead. And over the course of the season there'll be ones like that which go in Airdrie's favour and I'll probably defend them as staunchly as you are. 

There’s a lot that happens in a short time, but I’d argue it was 50/50 ball all day long. The aftermath of his teammate telling him to stay down, before swinging a punch/elbow at Currie and then going down like he’s shot again, is how you know he’s totally and utterly played for it. It’s all there on the highlights. 

Wardrop should know better, Murray should know better. Architects of our own misfortune there. One thing is for sure, not all refs will fall for it and as these things do even themselves out over the course of the season,  I cannot wait until the first time they’re utterly screwed over 🤣

You’d think they’d won the league this weekend. 

Edited by She who dares gins

2 hours ago, David_86 said:

McLean cheated, by diving then rolling about. Simple. He even got up and forgot he was injured, before lying back down again. Proper small club mentality to endorse that and celebrate a draw like a win. I remember paul mcgrillen cheating to get a player sent off vs Falkirk years ago and his popularity plummeted with our support as a result. Penalty was a stonewaller, keeper ran out, made contact and impeded mcgill. 10 times out of 10 that is given.

Anyways, we were streets ahead of Dumbarton once we got going after a shaky start. They didnt look like scoring bar 1 chance in the first 5 min and our defence looked comfortable, bar Wardrop. Can say the players should have seen it out but Murray never helped them with his bizarre substitutions. Maybe Murray will learn if a defender is on a yellow and you have a like for like sub, then fucking use him! Onwards and upwards.

Calm down there David 🤣

1 hour ago, David_86 said:

Are you actually insinuating it wasnt an out and out dive? Why did McLean need reminded from a team mate his leg was sore and he needed to hit the deck again?

Obviously you lot will struggle this year going by that performance and you are desperate for any result you can get, no matter how it comes. Seems you have turned into a proper tinpot club.

Big team syndrome much? I'm sure Airdrie will walk the league based on the players they have in their squad 🙄 and we will look forward to a relegation battle 😬.

How are the league standings looking so far?

Quite clear for me after watching the highlights that MacLean's tripped Wardrop and conned the ref by feigning an injury. It's still a bit clumsy from Wardrop to commit there on a booking when we've got a fairly comfortable 2-0 lead, but he's really not done anything wrong. Ultimately we should be doing much much more to hold onto a 2-0 lead with 10 men and I thought Murray's subs were very poor in that regard.

I know still images are generally a very poor way of judging a challenge in football but this being the moment of contact quite clearly shows MacLean sticking his leg out as Wardrop runs by him to the side. Really poor decision.

B2186DE9-299F-4A65-8B41-26D160C1A57A.jpeg

23 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

That was kinda the point of my post. Yer man David and his ridiculous attitude was so farfetched I thought I'd join the game 😂

I’m sure it was… time to move on from talking about your wee team now. Falkirk on Saturday, away and let the big boys play. 

Re-directing the conversation a tad in relation to Saturday - I was delighted with the response from the players and management after what was such a poor performance the previous week.

Aside from the opening 5/10 mins when Dumbarton hemmed us in a bit and forced one straightforward save out of Currie, we were utterly dominant. 

Two efforts cleared off the line in the first half, as well as a looping cross from McGill that nearly caught out the keeper and then Easton’s superb long range effort that came back down off the bar, meant we really could and should have been further ahead before the madness on the hour mark.

The incident has been done to death here, but in my view, it’s one of those knife-edge 50/50 decisions that can swing either way. The frustration was that even if you are giving that against Wardrop, it’s never a second yellow. For me, the handbags at dawn and play acting have panicked the referee into making that call, which I think was wrong. I think it’s also absolutely fair to say that Maclean was ridiculously over the top - he rolls about in the first instance, thinks about getting up but goes back down when he sees the ref still hasn’t done anything, a Dumbarton player then tells him to stay down a bit longer (at which point he rolls some more) and then when Currie picks him up he stands on his feet throws a hissy fit at him and then goes down again. It was pathetic and that was what annoyed me - not whether it was a foul or not.

In any case, whilst what happened next was frustrating, I’m not overly concerned by it. Should we have seen it out? Yes. Did the players, staff and fans lose the plot a wee bit? Yes. But it’s football - we’re all human beings and it happens. We need to remember this was a highly charged game with players and staff that had been at both clubs - so the perceived injustice and subsequent ruckus could always have had that effect.

If we did it on a regular basis and let things like that cost us, I could understand but it needs to be looked at in context. This is a new team that is still gelling together - it’s just important they learn from this.

Like I say though, I saw enough to suggest we deserved more than we got out of the game and on another day, might have done just that. Yes Dumbarton had us under the cosh for the last half hour, but aside from some goal mouth scrambles, didn’t create too many clear cut chances of note. We simply didn’t remain calm enough and again, that’s something we need to learn from.

I think the formation suited us better and we looked way more comfortable with the back four. Dycey, Watson and Rico looked pretty comfortable until the red card and, while I’ve been disappointed with Wardrop so far, he’s had a bit of bad luck with the injury he was carrying against QOTS and then the sending off on Saturday, so willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this early stage in the season.

The midfield was what really impressed me - Easton, Frizzell and McCabe bossed it when they settled into the game and there was some really nice play to connect with the front 3.

Gal worked his socks off as ever and just needs that first goal to get him off the mark. Whilst it was great to see Callum Smith back - he had a quiet game in terms of his impact on the attack, but he worked tirelessly. Gabby McGill was the guy that really impressed though - took his goal well, ran at defenders and never stopped. He was the one signing I was pretty indifferent about initially, but more performances like that and I think we’ve uncovered a wee gem!

As I say, as disappointing as it is to surrender the lead after being so dominant, I think there is way more for us to take away in terms of positives, rather than dwelling on the outcome.

It’s just important we learn from that and take the same attitude, effort and work rate into Saturday against Falkirk.

48 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Think we will start on sat, just pump a high ball over that wee left backs head 🤣🤣 and Gal will do the rest, Easton will run riot. 

My favourite thing is how at every kick off  we just boot it out for a throw in. Every IM team has done it. Skillz and a running joke now 🤣

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

My favourite thing is how at every kick off  we just boot it out for a throw in. Every IM team has done it. Skillz and a running joke now 🤣

Makes you wonder my favourate is the pre planed goal kicks specially with the coaches very cunning plan of every outfield player moving to one side of the pitch to watch the ball sail out of play ♦️

Edited by Eric the half a b

49 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Makes you wonder my favourate is the pre planed goal kicks specially with the coaches very cunning plan of every outfield player moving to one side of the pitch to watch the ball sail out of play ♦️

Against the Well, every throw in from McCabe was looking dangerous. What has happened to getting to the ball first, thought McKay could do  long throw, McCabe every bit  as long, 

On 10/08/2021 at 13:13, Eric the half a b said:

I've never understood this.

It's even worse when everyone moves to one side , and there's one player at the opposite side of the pitch in acres of space...but never is an attempt made to fire the ball at him. Instead , like you say , it's a blooter out the park. 

Edited by Rossm25