The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

If callum Smith comes to us it is undoubtedly for his tireless contribution to attacking down the right side. For Murray however it is for  the young guys contribution to supporting the right back which he does extemely well. I personally would prefer a tall center forward target who can hold the ball up. Just my preference, maybe a Derek Holmes type (who can run) who can link play and cause defences problems at set pieces.

57 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

If callum Smith comes to us it is undoubtedly for his tireless contribution to attacking down the right side. For Murray however it is for  the young guys contribution to supporting the right back which he does extemely well. I personally would prefer a tall center forward target who can hold the ball up. Just my preference, maybe a Derek Holmes type (who can run) who can link play and cause defences problems at set pieces.

What’s Davy McCabe doing  he could run, 

1 hour ago, dextermorgan said:

We are top heavy with strikers as it is and would need to offload some of the forwards we already have for this to happen. Aissa, Gallagher, Allan, McGill & Pyott. I think Aissa will get us goals, if fit but the forwards aren't getting a chance at the moment as the midfield is creating nothing.

1 hour ago, dextermorgan said:

Aye cause Derek Holmes was a Great signing ffs 

52 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

We are top heavy with strikers as it is and would need to offload some of the forwards we already have for this to happen. Aissa, Gallagher, Allan, McGill & Pyott. I think Aissa will get us goals, if fit but the forwards aren't getting a chance at the moment as the midfield is creating nothing.

Aye we do have a few players that play upfront now, Aissa was injured last week, is he is out Gal will be the main man, Would think the rumours about Smith are true, maybe another attacking midfielder would be good . Think the mighty pen will strike tonight, 

1 minute ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye we do have a few players that play upfront now, Aissa was injured last week, is he is out Gal will be the main man, Would think the rumours about Smith are true, maybe another attacking midfielder would be good . Think the mighty pen will strike tonight, 

If Callum Smith does sign, I hope he does,  no one can criticise the board for not providing funds for new players to get out this league,   credit where credit is due...

15 minutes ago, Passionate said:

If Callum Smith does sign, I hope he does,  no one can criticise the board for not providing funds for new players to get out this league,   credit where credit is due...

When he signs, thought a read 2 players were signing, no smoke without fire on this site 🤣🤣

58 minutes ago, G_H said:

Murray telling cheeky fibs to the press then!

So which of our 6 strikers are going to become midfielders?

I remember him doing something similar with another player previously - think it might have been Calum Gallagher. Said to the press he wasn’t interested and then we ended up signing him days later. I don’t know if it makes much of a difference at our level but it still must be annoying if stuff gets leaked to the press or online. 

On 02/08/2021 at 18:26, cb_diamond said:

And he's flounced off in a huff. I heard he was last seen standing outside Greggs saying "I've heard that there's a new type of sandwich, but I can't say what it is..."

He had a very normal one on the Queen’s Park thread after our game against them a few weeks ago. He’s taken your criticism well! 

On 03/08/2021 at 11:21, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Agnew has struggled as the deeper and more central midfielder imo but looked a lot better on the left of the midfield three against Motherwell. Baffling that Murray stuck him back in the deeper role at the weekend, especially considering McCabe clearly looks much more effective in that role than he does on the left of the three. Unless Murray plays him in a more favourable role I'd say there's a danger of Agnew becoming another Ryan Conroy (albeit his set pieces are far superior to Conroy's).

I think Agnew has suffered the most from us not really having a proper ball winning midfielder. Whenever I saw him play previously I never had the impression that was his game. That doesn’t mean he can or should get away with not mucking in but given that’s never been his forte, and his age, I’m not really sure he should be expected to do that either. Get him and Easton further up the park and linking with the forwards and there’s more than enough talent there to be scoring and creating goals. 

1 hour ago, G_H said:

Murray telling cheeky fibs to the press then!

So which of our 6 strikers are going to become midfielders?

To be fair I didn't read Murray's quote as him denying a move for Smith. He said the rumours were "jumping the gun" (i.e. nothing was confirmed) but definitely implied we'd be in for him if there was a chance. Delighted with the signing by the way. I really like Smith.

On 05/08/2021 at 22:18, airdrieman said:

I remember him doing something similar with another player previously - think it might have been Calum Gallagher. Said to the press he wasn’t interested and then we ended up signing him days later. I don’t know if it makes much of a difference at our level but it still must be annoying if stuff gets leaked to the press or online. 

He had a very normal one on the Queen’s Park thread after our game against them a few weeks ago. He’s taken your criticism well! 

I think Agnew has suffered the most from us not really having a proper ball winning midfielder. Whenever I saw him play previously I never had the impression that was his game. That doesn’t mean he can or should get away with not mucking in but given that’s never been his forte, and his age, I’m not really sure he should be expected to do that either. Get him and Easton further up the park and linking with the forwards and there’s more than enough talent there to be scoring and creating goals. 

Do not know what age you are but I am 51 and could beat Agnew in a race and run further than he can. He should be nowhere near the starting 11, legs are gone, looks like he is knackered after the warm ups. Play McCabe sitting and 3 ahead of him with legs and guile, then 2 strikers to get on the end of chances. We need to win tomorrow or the game next week against Falkirk is do or die.