The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Think we could do worse than get Crighton  back. Thought kerr was better not so sure now, 

Not sure about the defense at the moment, but I was going to suggest that we try swapping Thomas Robert to Salford for Darron Gibson, but then I read Gibson broke his leg and got released, so perhaps not :D

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Think we could do worse than get Crighton  back. Thought kerr was better not so sure now, 

So you want to bring back the defender criticised for his lack of pace and his constant hoofbal! From the back after one league game.... A little knee jerk do you not think.....

10 hours ago, Passionate said:

So you want to bring back the defender criticised for his lack of pace and his constant hoofbal! From the back after one league game.... A little knee jerk do you not think.....

They certainly  are not playing the ball out off defence at the moment or have I missed something, most thought including manager thought Roy was not a striker  and we know what happened, yes we all know Crighton did hoof the ball but I think he was a better leader than what we have now, 

40 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

They certainly  are not playing the ball out off defence at the moment or have I missed something, most thought including manager thought Roy was not a striker  and we know what happened, yes we all know Crighton did hoof the ball but I think he was a better leader than what we have now, 

After that Crighton was a great leader on and off the park (during cov id he was always there for the young lads who were struggling) , .Murray is trying to play a different way, it takes time,  Kerr has fantastic potential and at the moment he is paying for coming back from his double hernia too early at the crazy end of last season,  once he starts to train regularly and the niggling injuries are sorted,  he will be fine,    I am more worried about Fordyce if truth be told,  he at the moment is droppable,   is the skippers armband affecting his performances....

Ally Roy he had his day in the sun last weekend,    he is still a heartless dud, who showed little or no effort to drag himself off the bench when fit,    

Let's park this for 6 weeks and see where we are,  could be interesting....

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

After that Crighton was a great leader on and off the park (during cov id he was always there for the young lads who were struggling) , .Murray is trying to play a different way, it takes time,  Kerr has fantastic potential and at the moment he is paying for coming back from his double hernia too early at the crazy end of last season,  once he starts to train regularly and the niggling injuries are sorted,  he will be fine,    I am more worried about Fordyce if truth be told,  he at the moment is droppable,   is the skippers armband affecting his performances....

Ally Roy he had his day in the sun last weekend,    he is still a heartless dud, who showed little or no effort to drag himself off the bench when fit,    

Let's park this for 6 weeks and see where we are,  could be interesting....

Aye, all for that, 

15 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Callum Smith returning I see 

Would be pleased if this is true, although he'll never get tonnes of goals he was always very, very committed and worked hard, qualites that this season's side seem to be lacking in the vast majority of the time this far.

Still think we need a bit of a shithouse in the middle of the park as a priority but I would be pleased with this. He’s got pace, can play out wide, (both of which we need), works hard, harries defenders and can practically single-handedly drag the team and the ball up the park. 

I'd be delighted with Callum Smith coming back. The squad lacks pace and that was certainly shown on Saturday. It's early days but I'm not convinced about Gallagher and Kouider-Aissa as a partnership, hopefully having Smith alongside one of them will work a bit better. It does make me question why we bothered resigning Pyott or even Gabby McGill as we'll now have six strikers but I guess Smith might be Robert's replacement.

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I'd be delighted with Callum Smith coming back. The squad lacks pace and that was certainly shown on Saturday. It's early days but I'm not convinced about Gallagher and Kouider-Aissa as a partnership, hopefully having Smith alongside one of them will work a bit better. It does make me question why we bothered resigning Pyott or even Gabby McGill as we'll now have six strikers but I guess Smith might be Robert's replacement.

Smith would be good, quick young lad like Connell would be good to feed off him, 

While he might not exactly be a winger, I think Smith coming back would address the lack of width in attack. I always thought he was better for us out wide than through the middle and we've got plenty of strikers anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if he plays on the wing. That would require a formation change however...

24 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Not really addressing our big problem though if we continue our 3-5-2 which is the 5 across the middle. 

Would not think he will continue with3-5-2. Maybe has worked in past, problem I see is Kerr not for any other reason than I do not think he is fit, not half the player he was, personally I would rest him for a week or two, think it would be to his and our advantage in long term, would think 4-4-2would be better option with players we have, just my opinion, 

I’m not entirely sure what formation would get the best out of them all but if you can’t get some combination of Gal, Salim, Easton, Agnew and Smith scoring goals then there’s a problem. Add to that players like McCabe and Frizzell and a defence comprising of Fordyce, Kerr, Watson, Lyons, Wardrop and Quitongo and there’s plenty of talent there to put a more than competitive team on the park. Over to Murray (for better or worse) to make it work. 

At the very least I’m looking forward to being 1-0 down to Peterhead at home and Murray playing Gal, Salim, Smith, McGill, Allan, Pyott and Fordyce upfront at the same time. 

16 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Would not think he will continue with3-5-2. Maybe has worked in past, problem I see is Kerr not for any other reason than I do not think he is fit, not half the player he was, personally I would rest him for a week or two, think it would be to his and our advantage in long term, would think 4-4-2would be better option with players we have, just my opinion, 

I agree with this, I watched his preview interview with DTV+ And he was asked if fully fit and you could tell by his reaction he wasn’t. I think the 352 is a good formation to have in the locker but not one you can play week in week out. Our last 2 games teams have matched us and we’ve not been able to cope, time for a change in that respect but we desperately need legs in midfield.

I’m still unsure if Agnew and McCabe can play in the same midfield.