The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Always good when your new signing bags a top corner debut goal!

Two cracking goals don't make a summer, though. It is pretty scorching presently however. We can bask in the Well defeat for a few weeks.

Edited by diamondman

13 minutes ago, diamondman said:

Two cracking goals don't make a summer, though. It is pretty scorching presently however. We can bask in the Well defeat for a few weeks.

Must do wonders for the confidence and moral in the dressing room!  After a sketchy opening 3 games we put in a performance last night and will give us optimism for the league start too.

A win and you'll most likely top the group

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Can we crowdfund for a Rhys McCabe statue outside the stadium? Goal was ridiculous of course but even without that I thought he was outstanding. Totally bossed the midfield. Everyone played really well but I think it's fair to give that special mention to McCabe and also to Gal who was terrific before he came off. Played them off the park and scored two screamers, if we play like that every week we'll win the league at a canter.

Fair play to Rhys McCabe and Scott McGill, Airdrie heroes already, McGill after only 5 minutes. Shout out to Matthew McDonald, only his third senior game and he was outstanding, never stopped running and caused Motherwell lots of problems all night. Certainly had a point to prove and he showed up a lot of their big names. 

What a night! It’s games like this that make it all worth it. The only Motherwell game I remember and have been to was the 2007 cup game, so tonight was really special. Right up there with Dunfermline and Hearts in the cup in 2006 and 2008. I’d been making other plans for Saturday but that’s certainly changed things.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Fair play to Rhys McCabe and Scott McGill, Airdrie heroes already, McGill after only 5 minutes. Shout out to Matthew McDonald, only his third senior game and he was outstanding, never stopped running and caused Motherwell lots of problems all night. Certainly had a point to prove and he showed up a lot of their big names. 

What a night! It’s games like this that make it all worth it. The only Motherwell game I remember and have been to was the 2007 cup game, so tonight was really special. Right up there with Dunfermline and Hearts in the cup in 2006 and 2008. I’d been making other plans for Saturday but that’s certainly changed things.

I've been very impressed with McDonald in all his appearances so far. Looks like a great find by the club.

Credit where credit is due. Many people have been quick to slate the team based one the earlier two performances. Tonight they showed up, played some excellent football, defended solidly and deservedly won. 

You cannot have it both ways and say its just one game. It was a superb game and a kick start for the team. 

3 competitive games and 3 games unbeaten. ♦️

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

The journey has to start now,  We were U nited as one tonight in the stadium,   We must get out this league, how good would it be to be back in the Top league. ,  we have the facilities, a loyal fanbase,     we need a team to be proud of,   Let's make this happen...

Fantastic 2nd half tonight. The support have needed a result like that for a number of seasons now. Hopefully give the manager, team, support and town the belief to take this on and get back to where I believe we should be. A decent run of results gets punters back gives teams a lift. Here’s hopping this is only the start. 

Well that was fucking superb. Still buzzing! And will be for a very long time after that. The complete unbridled joy after McCabe's (and young Scott McGill's) goal went in - that's exactly what you go to the football for. No words can truly depict that feeling. If you know, you know. And if you don't get it I feel sorry for you! 

The team to a man were outstanding tonight. They showed a lot of effort and desire tonight and at half-time I was honestly happy enough with that, with no expectations whatsoever going into the second-half. But we really stepped it up in the second-half and were the only team on the park to produce the moments of quality that went on to win the game. There's no doubt about it - the better and hungrier team won. The defence were excellent and kept Motherwell quiet all night. Motherwell were incredibly flat and didn't create or threaten at all. But a lot of credit has to go to the defence - and the midfield - for that. Kerr was very unlucky with his shot at goal. We comfortably won the midfield battle and controlled the middle of the park, especially after we scored. McCabe bossed it and what can you about that goal?! Outstanding. Agnew had his best game in an Airdrie shirt so far and special mention to Matty McDonald who was superb. Everywhere in the midfield, winning and retaining the ball, driving forward, a well deserved man of the match. I'm sure he will have had something to prove tonight so I hope he enjoyed it. Beautiful touch and finish from Scott McGill for his goal. Hopefully he'll turn out to be a bit of a find. And Gal and Salim put a real shift in, and did well, against a physical Premier League defence which is no mean feat. Lovely run down the left from Gal in the first-half, a better final ball would have been a sure goal for Salim I'm sure. Even yer Dean Ritchies, Jordan Allan and Gabby McGill helped see it out at the end. 

And another highlight was of course Stephen O'Donnell (Scotland international Stephen O'Donnell no less) getting absolutely done by Rico. 

What a night. Has to be up there as one of the best results in my time supporting the club, particularly at home (only ones in contention would be the promotion game against Accies and receiving the league title against Morton). It's a result we've all needed (and deserved) for a long time. What a difference having a crowd, atmosphere and excitement made at New Broomfield. Hopefully we can make it more of a regular thing. 

Enjoy your nights tonight and enjoy watching the goals back endlessly tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Credit where credit is due. Many people have been quick to slate the team based one the earlier two performances. Tonight they showed up, played some excellent football, defended solidly and deservedly won. 

You cannot have it both ways and say its just one game. It was a superb game and a kick start for the team. 

3 competitive games and 3 games unbeaten. ♦️

Aye and many have been quick to slate  the fans, a result like this was well overdue, game certainly changed for the better after we scored, and played more like the Airdrie after that. 

Biggest fear going into last nights game was getting a doing & any confidence left evaporating. But credit to the lads went out & performed & what a performance.

Didn't get too worried by the Clyde game due to the copious use of trialists which proved the right decision as they couldn't be used in this comp. Reckon we got the best ones signed IMO the boy from Rangers was awful.

In this competition although folks might have expected better results in the earlier games we are unbeaten , conceded only 1 goal (pen) & just beaten our biggest rivals. 

One win or draw + Pen win away from getting out the group stages.

Best start of the season in ages.

For what its worth IMO most of the players brought in have been an improvement on their counterparts let go & I don't think we will miss McCann too much.

Looking forward to a good start against Montrose next week.

Thoroughly enjoyed that last night, throats a bit rough this morning but I'll accept it. First game for me and the wee man this season and what a game to get back to.  I'm never going to be one of these "over reactors" at a good result but I really like the look of a few of those players.

The boy McDonald we signed from Motherwell, whether that was just because we were playing his old team or not, he covered every blade of plastic grass, McCabe capped an energetic and spirited performance with a free kick that I thought had Agnew's name all over it. The central defence was fairly sound, Fordyce marshalled well and big Watson is cool as a cucumber on the ball.

2 cracking goals as well, each good enough to win any game. All in all fairly happy with a "glorified friendly" League cup game win but it was the performance that pleased me most. Onwards and upwards

Great performance from the boys last night and it’s a wonder start for McGill with an amazing goal.  Surely those 2 strikes will be in contention for goal of the season and we’re nowhere near August!   Think credit should go to Murray who obviously gets the best out of his players.  Will they be the best set of players in our league - probably not.   But with a couple of signings to go (I hope) the team is shaping up nicely and I honestly thought we were more than a match for Motherwell, deserved the win and could finish top of the group.  The lads will be buzzing and I’m sure they will want a result in the next game.  Think as fans we can be too doom and gloom about the team or the quality of the signings.  Based on last night, I’m confident we will perform well this season and maybe any final loan signings will be the final piece of the puzzle.