The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

10 hours ago, G_H said:

The match preview doesn't mention Easton as being fit when specifically talking about players who are fit again (Kerr, McCabe), and you cant bet on any "new signing" as they clearly havent been announced, so that gives you Cantley and Ritche as subs.

I posit that qualifies as barely 11 players.

Furthermore, Murray and the club deserve a slagging until such time we look like promotion contenders with this lot. The Barcelona knock off kit isn't fooling anyone, and who would have thought that we might be expecting to need a kit that's white with a red diamond for this season, it's only been in use for 109 years after all?

Whats that?exactly f**k up stop moaning moaning once 

I don’t agree that there’s a marked decline in quality from last season’s squad to what we have at the moment. We’ve kept our best two centre-halves from last season in Fordyce and Kerr and Watson and Lyons are better options than McKay and Crighton IMO. Wardrop is a better right-back than anyone we had after MacDonald left. Sure Quitongo is a downgrade on McCann but, as I’ve said before, I don’t think that’s hugely important and I don’t think the difference between them is so vast that it’s a cause for concern. 

Our midfield - Easton, Agnew and McCabe - is miles better than the midfield we started last season with. McDonald also seems an improvement on Dean Ritchie already. I would prefer a proper defensive midfielder in there as well but hopefully that’s still to come. We haven’t seen Frizzell yet but will he be worse than Thomson or O’Reilly, bearing in mind both of them played a fair part in us getting to the play-off final? We can’t say yet of course but I’d be expecting a similar standard at the very least. 

Gallagher, is one of the more reliable strikers at this level and is still here. I’m expecting big things from Salim, who will hopefully be more prolific than Carrick was (as much as I really liked him). I’m not sold on Allan yet and I’m not sure why Pyott and Ritchie are still around. And McGill I know nothing about. But it’s WAY too early to be making any sort of judgement on the squad either way. We haven’t even played a league game yet FS 😂 We also haven’t played a full game yet with our first choice midfield or  had a full squad to choose from. Even then we haven’t lost a game in 90 minutes or lost a goal from open play yet (though plenty of time for both of those things to happen).  We definitely need to bulk up the squad but you can’t even play trialists in the League Cup which is a bit shite and no doubt makes things harder. Premiership clubs only tend to loan their fringe players out after the group stages also. 

Anyway, there’s still plenty of time for things to go horribly wrong or fucking gloriously. The first few weeks and months of the season will tell us a lot more. 

Robbie Neilson talks a bit about Scott McGill here. Certainly sounds like someone who they rate quite highly so I’m pretty happy with that signing. We’ve seen already that we do need extra cover in midfield if at least one of Easton, McCabe or Agnew or out. Gabby McGill doesn’t seem like our first choice given he played a few weeks ago and has only just signed but he’ll offer something different to Allan and he’ll surely contribute more than Pyott, so I’m happy enough with that.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

On paper midfield McGill look a massively more exciting signing than striker McGill.

He's here to compete which is good enough for me. Adds competition, options and pressure on the starting strikers. That's what we need. He looked decent v Clyde in what was largely a team of fringe players and trialists who got bumped afterwards. Awkward, decent pace, he could be decent. 

6 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Again, I literally don't give a crap about any other team. We've had the luxury of a "reserve" team in previous years, so numbers weren't a problem, even if few of them ever played. As I've said now three times today: big lack of numbers + a clear drop in the quality of players = a problem. I don't think that's unreasonable to say, do you??

Yeah, a clear drop in quality on tonight's showing eh? 

And those two signings we made today. Far too slow to get them in eh? 😂

Ignoring the usual moans and groans (whether they are right or wrong, time will tell), Airdrie were different class tonight. And if we play like that every week we’ll be at the top end obviously.
And I wasn’t overly excited by the Scott McGill signing. I immediately stand corrected!