The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

7 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Bit of an overreaction or you just looking for an excuse to slag Murray and the club??

Currie 

Watson Kerr Fordyce

Wardrop Mccabe Aggy Quitongo 

Easton

Gallagher Kouder-Aissa

Subs:

Cantley

Ritchie 

New signing😉🤫

Allan

Is McDonald injured?

Folk actually getting worked up at us wearing our away strip. 😂

I've long suspected that some of the biggest whingers on this page are just kids, I think this pretty much confirms that suspicion.

BUT if I’ve got it wrong and you’re an adult moaning about which strip we're wearing, then I'd suggest you need to take a long look in the mirror. Jesus Christ!! 😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

I've long suspected that some of the biggest whingers on this page are just kids, I think this pretty much confirms that suspicion.

BUT if I’ve got it wrong and you’re an adult moaning about which strip we're wearing, then I'd suggest you need to take a long look in the mirror. Jesus Christ!! 😂😂😂

Careful mate , might get accused of "happy clapping" or "attacking the fans" if you call out daftness.

And wouldn't be surprised if it wasnt kids , older boy behind me on Saturday moaned at every single touch of the ball we had. He was mid moan during the run through o  goal that got us the penalty. As far back as I can remember we've always been a moaning bunch but it's all getting a bit silly now ! 

Edited by Rossm25

1 hour ago, Tory Boy said:

I'm more interested in the lack of competent playing staff, but the lack of a home kit is another indication of poor planning.

Keep your personal attacks for the "kids" on reddit and twitter, if that's your level of discourse, and tell me why not even being able to fill the subs bench is a good thing.

1 hour ago, Rossm25 said:

And wouldn't be surprised if it wasnt kids , older boy behind me on Saturday moaned at every single touch of the ball we had. He was mid moan during the run through o  goal that got us the penalty. As far back as I can remember we've always been a moaning bunch but it's all getting a bit silly now ! 

Given the ever dwindling support for this club, you should be thrilled that there's anyone under 65 showing any interest.

Edited by G_H

I couldn't care less about what strip we wear, however I have, as should be clearly evident from the last ten pages or so of this thread, been and continue to be absolutely scathing with my criticism of this year's signing policies, both in terms of the quality of players signed and moreso now on the really quite concerning lack of numbers. If we were being honest and realistic there is no way that even our strongest team currently is going to be competing at the top and any kind of injury crisis could honestly have us right in the thick of it at the murky end of things. People have been saying for weeks now that loan signings and trialists will bulk things out, there's no sign of either and we're a week and a half away from the first league game of the season where we are running a real risk of the embarrassment of not even being able to have a bench against a Montrose team, who if they play to anything like the same standard as last year will utterly gub us! If the plan is was to put together a small squad filled with quality, it has failed spectacularly on both counts so far. So yeah, I'm really concerned about things on the pitch.

22 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

Injuries.

Frizzell - Injury Prone
Lyons - Injury Prone
Kerr - Injury prone (but thankfully fit for this evening according to the preview)
Pyott - Permanently injured
Wardrop - As per Kerr
Easton - Had a long term injury at Clyde, risky?

All players are going to pick up a knock here and there, but this seems like a theme, hence perhaps more a recruitment issue.

Edited by G_H

25 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

Currently only Falkirk & Dumbarton have bigger squads than us.

Surely this is just whataboutery and doesn't actually change the fact that our squad numbers are still unacceptably low?

So do we fill the squad full of jobbers to achieve squad numbers or wait (hopefully) to get the last few signings that will make a difference and for injures to clear?   I want a strong squad - and that means bodies on the bench that can change/alter a game when they come on. Thats why I am willing to wait.

As I have said before - Ian Murray has had 3 get out of jail cards - 1st season he inherited a team that wasn't his, 2nd season cut short because of covid-19, 3rd season , ditto the covid-19 interruption and possibly a team that "wasn't his"  with the increased involvement of the director of football until his departure in February. This season - its his team, and he has no hiding place if results don't go our way. 

For me its, way to early to judge and to criticise   Hopefully there are a few signings upcoming to strengthen the squad, the injures clear and we do well - but as a fickle football fan, if things don't work out so well, I'll be moaning like the rest of you. 

1 hour ago, Tory Boy said:

Injuries.

Currently only Falkirk & Dumbarton have bigger squads than us.

And for our games against Stenny and Dunfermline we only had about 2 players on the bench. 

41 minutes ago, G_H said:

Frizzell - Injury Prone
Lyons - Injury Prone
Kerr - Injury prone (but thankfully fit for this evening according to the preview)
Pyott - Permanently injured
Wardrop - As per Kerr
Easton - Had a long term injury at Clyde, risky?

All players are going to pick up a knock here and there, but this seems like a theme, hence perhaps more a recruitment issue.

Not sure Frizzell is injury prone. He had one really bad injury at Killie that he got an operation for and it kept him out for months, but in his two spells with us I don't remember him being injured very often. Wardrop has had some nasty injuries in his short career but again I'm not sure he's prone to them. He previously had some ligament damage and he missed a few months of last season because Brian Graham broke his face with an elbow, but he's probably one of the fittest guys in your team given his job outside of football. 

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

I couldn't care less about what strip we wear, however I have, as should be clearly evident from the last ten pages or so of this thread, been and continue to be absolutely scathing with my criticism of this year's signing policies, both in terms of the quality of players signed and moreso now on the really quite concerning lack of numbers. If we were being honest and realistic there is no way that even our strongest team currently is going to be competing at the top and any kind of injury crisis could honestly have us right in the thick of it at the murky end of things. People have been saying for weeks now that loan signings and trialists will bulk things out, there's no sign of either and we're a week and a half away from the first league game of the season where we are running a real risk of the embarrassment of not even being able to have a bench against a Montrose team, who if they play to anything like the same standard as last year will utterly gub us! If the plan is was to put together a small squad filled with quality, it has failed spectacularly on both counts so far. So yeah, I'm really concerned about things on the pitch.

100 percent agree re:signings , hardly marquee signings...

But who else could we sign on the budget we have ? What 20 goal a season striker from Scottish football could we sign ? Seriously asking , who would be realistic targets for a club our size ? We've just not got the money or incentives to being in anyone of real quality and as sad as it is , that's where we are now. 

But general question for anyone realistically what level of players should we be signing? Folk on here lose their heeds of its someone from the same league , so championship? Who from the championship would want to come ? 

Edited by Rossm25

25 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

So do we fill the squad full of jobbers to achieve squad numbers or wait (hopefully) to get the last few signings that will make a difference and for injures to clear?   I want a strong squad - and that means bodies on the bench that can change/alter a game when they come on. Thats why I am willing to wait.

As I have said before - Ian Murray has had 3 get out of jail cards - 1st season he inherited a team that wasn't his, 2nd season cut short because of covid-19, 3rd season , ditto the covid-19 interruption and possibly a team that "wasn't his"  with the increased involvement of the director of football until his departure in February. This season - its his team, and he has no hiding place if results don't go our way. 

For me its, way to early to judge and to criticise   Hopefully there are a few signings upcoming to strengthen the squad, the injures clear and we do well - but as a fickle football fan, if things don't work out so well, I'll be moaning like the rest of you. 

Most definitely wait.

Whilst you can get occasionally lucky with a young released premier league player, our remaining signings need to be better than what we have and automatic picks in the side.

Billy Reid has passed away aged 83

Everyone at the club was saddened to hear that former Diamonds stalwart Billy Reid passed away earlier today.

Billy joined the club from Motherwell in 1961, having spent six years at the Fir Park club alongside younger brother Sammy.

He served Airdrieonians for seven years, featuring as a distinguished inside forward, before going on to fulfil a number of roles behind the scenes with the club.

Former Diamonds boss Bobby Watson told airdriefc.com: “Billy had a long connection with Airdrie, and he gave his whack for the Diamonds.

“He was a great scout and coach alongside folk like Ian McMillan, Bobby Morrison, Dan McAlindon and Wilson Humphries.”

Our thoughts are with Billy’s wife Joan and his family and friends at this sad time.

2 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

100 percent agree re:signings , hardly marquee signings...

But who else could we sign on the budget we have ? What 20 goal a season striker from Scottish football could we sign ? Seriously asking , who would be realistic targets for a club our size ? We've just not got the money or incentives to being in anyone of real quality and as sad as it is , that's where we are now. 

But general question for anyone realistically what level of players should we be signing? Folk on here lose their heeds of its someone from the same league , so championship? Who from the championship would want to come ? 

I had mentioned in a previous post that given everything relatively (location, facilities, club reputation etc) our part time players should be coming from the very top of that group. I think that's where we have missed a trick this season. Usually the best part timers are way better than jobbing full timers. But our "hybrid" squad balance seems to have went more Patrick Pyotts and Rico Quitongos, less Calum Gallaghers. I would personally have had it the other way round. That's just my opinion. I'm happy to sign good players from other clubs in our league. But (and again this is just my opinion) no one signed so far is an upgrade over their counterpart last season. That's hugely worrying. 

Maybe Murray will pull out a few gems in loan signings and I will happily eat my words, but with the season looming they certainly won't be bedded in with the squad for a good few games. That's also a worry.

Edited by cb_diamond

Just now, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Or, maybe its because we are still looking to bring players in, like pretty much EVERY other team? 

Again, I literally don't give a crap about any other team. We've had the luxury of a "reserve" team in previous years, so numbers weren't a problem, even if few of them ever played. As I've said now three times today: big lack of numbers + a clear drop in the quality of players = a problem. I don't think that's unreasonable to say, do you??

57 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Again, I literally don't give a crap about any other team. We've had the luxury of a "reserve" team in previous years, so numbers weren't a problem, even if few of them ever played. As I've said now three times today: big lack of numbers + a clear drop in the quality of players = a problem. I don't think that's unreasonable to say, do you??

Your opinion, my opinion and the next opinion, should all be welcome on this site, one thing for sure, if your a Airdrie  fan this week  you will be a Airdrie fan the next  week  and the next, 

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

It's your opinion, which you are entitled to. I don't agree with it though. Hard to say the current squad has less quality when we've not played a single league game yet to validate that. Also find me a year when we've had a full squad by mid July? I'll wait. 

I'd rather we take our time than rush to a fan created deadline. Our next few additions need to be decent, so I'd rather they're not rushed to make up numbers. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond