The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

• Started well, actually had players looking for the ball which was a nice change, that seemed to drop away in the 2nd half
  • Centre midfield creativity died a death when Easton went off.
  • There's a problem in the full back areas defending from crosses from open play, everyone is ball watching & no one is tracking opposing wingers
  • Couple of chances that should have been goals, particularly in the first half.
  • The result was an embarrassment.
Edited by G_H

36 minutes ago, G_H said:
  • Started well, actually had players looking for the ball which was a nice change, that seemed to drop away in the 2nd half
  • Centre midfield creativity died a death when Easton went off.
  • There's a problem in the full back areas defending from crosses from open play, everyone is ball watching & no one is tracking opposing wingers
  • Couple of chances that should have been goals, particularly in the first half.
  • The result was an embarrassment.

It's the result of what someone posted, better  signing 2 players of some quality than 4 with very little, it's was  a typical Murray team, when one boy with class goes off  so did we, poor start again, 

Same old. How many times have we lost to league 2 opposition in the cup in recent years now? 

Easton aside, we've no creativity. We also don't have any natural width that can deliver a good cross. Anyone thinking Quitongo and Wardrop will supply the attacking crosses this season are kidding themselves. 

First it was good to be back at a real game although it is still hard to work up much spirit when 500 are spread out over the stand. I did get some chat with some mates so that was a plus. The music before the game was a bit weird but that's because I am stuck in the 1960s, and the PA is still hard to make out , but what's new?. As to the game someone said they wished that blindfolds had been mandatory as a dire 2nd half proceeded. It had looked quite good in the early stages with Easton looking creative: Quitongo did put in a really great cross from an Easton inspired attack: Gallagher had our one shot from a very good move but the goalie had a smashing block. If this sounds like clutching at straws I suppose it has a ring of truth, and the 2nd half was a real worry. Annan produced all the good scoring chances and ought to have been ahead before the daft penalty. Wardrop tried to usher the ball out and that led to McDonald tripping ever so gently the Annan sterling chap. Their big No 7 ( Tony Wallace? the guy from the Dumbarton play off years ago and a right moaner) did the job. I thought McDonald just kept plugging away even if unsure of his role. Like others I was expecting a whistle from that punt in to the box but he fairly rattled it in. You just knew Gal would miss the crucial one as Annan had deserved the 3 points. The only plus is that we did get one point/Salim looks a good prospect up front/ but although Mccabe had a good game I was unsure over where Agnew was playing and too many long balls again?. The back 3 were very solid but we looked really exposed to counter attacks.  Hard to get enthused but it's early days.

1 hour ago, G_H said:
  •  

Expect more of that from Quitongo. He never tracks his man at the back post.

23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Expect more of that from Quitongo. He never tracks his man at the back post.

The problem was more on the other side, because we caught on quite early that Annan were going to try to create from their right wing so paid a bit of attention in the first half, but I suspect its a combination of tactics we are playing with the defense being mentally absent for periods of the game.

7 minutes ago, G_H said:

The problem was more on the other side, because we caught on quite early that Annan were going to try to create from their right wing so paid a bit of attention in the first half, but I suspect its a combination of tactics we are playing with the defense being mentally absent for periods of the game.

Wardrop is normally okay defensively, Quitongo was caught out numerous times with crosses at the back post. 

27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Wardrop is normally okay defensively, Quitongo was caught out numerous times with crosses at the back post. 

Did Duffy ever play 3 5 2  with high full backs,  I thought the both of them especially Rico were guilty of it today,  both full backs seem more suited to a 4 4 2 IMO.

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Did Duffy ever play 3 5 2  with high full backs,  I thought the both of them especially Rico were guilty of it today,  both full backs seem more suited to a 4 4 2 IMO.

Never. Rico has only ever played professional football in a back 4. Wardrop may have experience as a wingback with Dundee United but at Dumbarton always played in a back 4. I wouldn't be too concerned though, Quitongo improved a lot over his time with us and Wardrop is an intelligent player, it may well work out for them with more games under their belt. 

I don’t want to be too downbeat, or even analytical, as it’s only the first game and a lot will happen between now and the end of the season. Also these games, while they’re competitive fixtures, are largely warm up games for the real stuff happening in a few weeks.  

In terms of positives: Easton looks a great player. He had some lovely touches and anything we create this season is going to go through him. He also looks capable of those moments of  magic or inspiration that win games on their own. Of course he went off injured… but hopefully that was as a precaution more than anything else.

I thought Salim looked good when he came on and it was him causing bother in the box that led to our equaliser. I assume it was fitness or a match sharpness thing which caused him to be on the bench but I would start him next week as him and Gal are clearly our best forwards. 

I thought he’d be a decent addition but I was pleasantly surprised at just how well Quitongo played in the first-half. There’s obviously still things to work on in his game - tracking his man at the front post! and his final ball - but he was better than I thought he’d be. He faded in the second-half but the team did as a whole. 

I thought we played well enough in the first-half. We dominated possession but we really lacked a cutting edge. 

We showed good spirit once again to come back and get the point. Especially McDonald to score since he must have been disappointed with his naive (if soft) penalty (Wardrop should have done better there initially as well). 

In terms of things to improve: I thought Annan cut us open far too easily at times in the second-half and they actually had the better chances in the game as a whole. The number 8 should have scored with his two chances. 

I don’t think our positioning, combinations and ability to communicate and read each other’s games is quite there yet. This was especially apparent after Easton went off. This, should, come with game time. I’d like to see Agnew get more involved and I’d like to see McCabe a bit further up the park also. I’d have switched McDonald and McCabe around once he came on and had the former playing the deeper role. Gallagher plays too deep for me still as well. Luke Lyons didn’t do anything wrong per se but he looked uncomfortable with the ball and passing it quickly. Again this will hopefully come with game time. 

A big takeaway from today is that we’re still short of a few players. I’d like to see another attacking mid or winger come in as, with Frizzell injured and Robert presumably away, there was no natural replacement for Easton (or Agnew) and we struggled without that bit of attacking verve, tempo or ability from the bench. I’d like another forward too as Pyott is injured(?) and probably not going to play anyway and I’m still yet to convinced by Allan. Which only leaves us with Gal and Salim which isn’t going to be enough. I’d also like to see a proper defensive mid come in to let McCabe play a bit further up the park but I’m not sure if that will happen TBH. 

Also for a striker Gal hits a terrible penalty! Disappointing Currie couldn’t even save one too. I don’t think he’s saved one for us yet. 

Overall a disappointing performance and result but it’s still early early days. And we’ve been beaten by League 2 teams at home in the League Cup before and done alright… 

Edited by airdrieman

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Still waiting news,  East Fife have unveiled there horrendous away kit...

Hopefully we have it in time for the Motherwell game

I got a mailing list email from the kit suppliers saying they’re hoping to start pre-orders by  a week today so I assume it (or the design at least) will be out some time next week. 

We started quite well but often were too slow to pass the ball and we gave them time to get behind the ball and defend. We are still not a team and will take time to develop so I am ok with that. Second half they could have scored 3-4 goals and that was not expected. Some of the new signings looked good, the young defender was shaky at times and took too long to pass and then turned backwards, again for me biggest disappointment was Agnew, not sure at all where he was playing or what his role is. Legs look like they have gone, I hope it is just a case of needs more games. Result was poor but I am happy to give Murray a pass since it will take some games to be upto speed. 

35 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don’t want to be too downbeat, or even analytical, as it’s only the first game and a lot will happen between now and the end of the season. Also these games, while they’re competitive fixtures, are largely warm up games for the real stuff happening in a few weeks.  

In terms of positives: Easton looks a great player. He had some lovely touches and anything we create this season is going to go through him. He also looks capable of those moments of  magic or inspiration that win games on their own. Of course he went off injured… but hopefully that was as a precaution more than anything else.

I thought Salim looked good when he came on and it was him causing bother in the box that led to our equaliser. I assume it was fitness or a match sharpness thing which caused him to be on the bench but I would start him next week as him and Gal are clearly our best forwards. 

I thought he’d be a decent addition but I was pleasantly surprised at just how well Quitongo played in the first-half. There’s obviously still things to work on in his game - tracking his man at the front post! and his final ball - but he was better than I thought he’d be. He faded in the second-half but the team did as a whole. 

I thought we played well enough in the first-half. We dominated possession but we really lacked a cutting edge. 

We showed good spirit once again to come back and get the point. Especially McDonald to score since he must have been disappointed with his naive (if soft) penalty (Wardrop should have done better there initially as well). 

In terms of things to improve: I thought Annan cut us open far too easily at times in the second-half and they actually had the better chances in the game as a whole. The number 8 should have scored with his two chances. 

I don’t think our positioning, combinations and ability to communicate and read each other’s games is quite there yet. This was especially apparent after Easton went off. This, should, come with game time. I’d like to see Agnew get more involved and I’d like to see McCabe a bit further up the park also. I’d have switched McDonald and McCabe around once he came on and had the former playing the deeper role. Gallagher plays too deep for me still as well. Luke Lyons didn’t do anything wrong per se but he looked uncomfortable with the ball and passing it quickly. Again this will hopefully come with game time. 

A big takeaway from today is that we’re still short of a few players. I’d like to see another attacking mid or winger come in as, with Frizzell injured and Robert presumably away, there was no natural replacement for Easton (or Agnew) and we struggled without that bit of attacking verve, tempo or ability from the bench. I’d like another forward too as Pyott is injured(?) and probably not going to play anyway and I’m still yet to convinced by Allan. Which only leaves us with Gal and Salim which isn’t going to be enough. I’d also like to see a proper defensive mid come in to let McCabe play a bit further up the park but I’m not sure if that will happen TBH. 

Also for a striker Gal hits a terrible penalty! Disappointing Currie couldn’t even save one too. I don’t think he’s saved one for us yet. 

Overall a disappointing performance and result but it’s still early early days. And we’ve been beaten by League 2 teams at home in the League Cup before and done alright… 

Agree,   I thought on paper after Salim had signed that would be us set,   but with Ritchie, Walker, Pyott etc the other options, we need more quality and options,   Frizzell has yet to play due to injury also....     How did Ritchie get an extended deal apparently done by our now departed DOF that decision alone is a sackable offence....

I thought the back 3 especially Lyons lacked confidence due to him being left sided and Murray playing him right centre half,  when Kerr comes back in, who I think is one of the best in the league, we will improve quickly.    Wardrop and Rico i didn't feel were quite at it, although the passing was too slow most of the time,    McDonald looks a nice  and tidy player,    still think we need a right midfielder,  Central midfield back up and another forward...    

Thought the whole stadium covid process, ticket scanning etc went pretty well, glad to be back.....

58 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

The guy behind me today said he'd rarely seen Gal hit a good penalty and so it proved. I don't know if you mean Currie in penalty shoot outs but I think (hope) he saved a penalty against Falkirk at home last season?  The rest of your post I've already greenied!