The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, G_H said:

There's 2 wages gone today that could have been spent on actual footballers with first team experience, preferably ones that didnt get scudded 3-0 by a Clyde & Clyde wannabe XI. Hopefully the fountain pen of underwhelmence doesn't return today for a hat trick.

Agree wholeheartedly, spend both wages on one decent, experienced player.

Edited by cb_diamond

7 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Another centre back! Aren't you ready covered in that position with Fordyce, Kerr and Watson?

We seem to be going with a back three this season so we did need some cover. All of our centre backs are predominantly right sided too so having someone who seems to be more naturally left sided is probably good too. Not convinced by him from what I saw on Sunday but I doubt he’ll start too often.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, G_H said:

There's 2 wages gone today that could have been spent on actual footballers with first team experience, preferably ones that didnt get scudded 3-0 by a Clyde & Clyde wannabe XI. Hopefully the fountain pen of underwhelmence doesn't return today for a hat trick.

The fountain pen of underwhelmence 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by She who dares gins

15 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Another centre back! Aren't you ready covered in that position with Fordyce, Kerr and Watson?

Might be one for the future as Kerr will probably be away in January or after this season..

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

We seem to be going with a back three this season so we did need some cover. All of our centre backs are predominantly right sided too so having someone who seems to be more naturally left sided is probably good too. Not convinced by him from what I saw on Sunday but I doubt he’ll start too often.

That makes more sense. Defensively on paper you look very capable.

Annoying when you want a striker or stellar signing and get what could be a squad filler or bit part player. Hopeful more to come though

I was ready to complain about them asking for more money but looks like this is just a bonus for season ticket holders/Club 1924 members. I’m not sure they’ll make much money out of this, surely anyone bothered enough to pay £5.99 a month for this already has a season ticket or is in Club 1924? I suppose it might be good for people living outside Scotland to be able to watch games.

On 05/07/2021 at 00:23, Ayr Diamond said:

I think McGill is worth a punt he played well when he came on, Lacy and McDonald have areed to sign, as for O'Connor he done ok he would need to up his game to get a deal as for the rest i dont think they'll be asked back .

Ayr Diamond spot on as usual. (He did correct Lacy was actually Lyons in a later post)

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Ayr Diamond spot on as usual. (He did correct Lacy was actually Lyons in a later post)

That leaves from the remaining trialists.....

Okafor 

Scally

McGill

O Connor

Taylor

I wonder if anymore will be signed from that group...  Personally McGill the ex Dunfertmline forward could be worth a punt......   Daniel Scally is a very talented player knocked back a deal with For far last week,  could be Roberts replacement..

11 hours ago, Passionate said:

Okafor 

Scally

McGill

O Connor

Taylor

I wonder if anymore will be signed from that group...  Personally McGill the ex Dunfertmline forward could be worth a punt......   Daniel Scally is a very talented player knocked back a deal with For far last week,  could be Roberts replacement..

I have a pars work colleague who tells me McGill is completely useless.

I thought O'Connor looked promising but our priorities are elsewhere.

16 hours ago, Mr November said:

Not convinced by him from what I saw on Sunday but I doubt he’ll start too often.

The 2021/22 Harlain Mbayo.

I'm very, very uninspired so far this preseason.  Absolutely nothing that gets the juices flowing wondering if this ex leeds boy will be as excellent as the last 2 (stokes, McKay) or waiting with anticipation whether it will be McGill or Scally the next big name announced.

Meh.

16 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

The fountain pen of underwhelmence 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah I liked that too. I think there's a slight sense of delusion from within that we have this great squad. I just don't see it yet. Its decent, but not great. Could it get us to the play offs again? Yes. Could it win the league? Absolutely not. 

Think we need one or two overwhelming signings before that can be said. 

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

Okafor 

Scally

McGill

O Connor

Taylor

I have a strange feeling that Scally be signed. 

Not sure if anyone else watched this, just your standard new players content but I guess it’s a nice extra to have. The highlight is Ian Murray scoring two free kicks in the background and running off doing an aeroplane.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Passionate said:

What position and who would you sign....

My thinking I would imagine lines up with most other folks that we are almost comically light up front and throwing money at a decent striker rather than a bunch of inexperienced and injury ravaged teenagers seems on paper like an obvious move. We must be able to operate near the very top of the part time market both in wages and desirability. But that looks like a forlorn hope at this point as Murray has clearly set his stall out. 

It also looks like a three at the back situation which should really necessitate another good, defensive minded midfielder. Again I would rather a much bigger chunk of change went on this rather than 2 or 3 "utility but not actually utility" players.

Look at the difference one, experienced, high quality player made last season after the restart as Turner pretty much singlehandedly dragged us to 2nd.

Edited by cb_diamond

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Yeah I liked that too. I think there's a slight sense of delusion from within that we have this great squad. I just don't see it yet. Its decent, but not great. Could it get us to the play offs again? Yes. Could it win the league? Absolutely not. 

Think we need one or two overwhelming signings before that can be said. 

Absolutely spot on with everything here 👏👏