Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Lost a 'll sympathy for O Neil being released,  his wee maw has been giving it large all over Facebook saying the usual offered a pittance not enough for petrol money etc.   This i snt under 10s we are dealing with here, the lad is 22 ffs...   Get over it and get yourself another club ffs.

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Lost a 'll sympathy for O Neil being released,  his wee maw has been giving it large all over Facebook saying the usual offered a pittance not enough for petrol money etc.   This i snt under 10s we are dealing with here, the lad is 22 ffs...   Get over it and get yourself another club ffs.

Of course there is no possibility that the club did offer a genuinely disrespectful amount (coz that's never happened under previous regimes) and I'm sure you'd handle the same situation much better if you were his "wee maw".

1 hour ago, Trust Airdrie said:

Chasing away young raw talent is the Airdrie way right now under this board.He was offered next to nothing to stay,the laddie deserved more.We have a tough league again to try and get out of,so let's hope and pray this 'hybrid ' this works.Also heard Hutts has been offered a better deal away from us,if I was the board I'd be busting a gut to keep him.

Considering the board, in its current state, has barely been in place that long, I disagree that  ‘chasing away young raw talent’ is the ‘Airdrie way’.

They need to be given a chance to change things and that always starts with players leaving before being replaced. 

Im not gutted with any of the names that have gone. O’Neill was decent but who is to say we can’t do better? 

Mill make my judgement in the playing squad once some time has past and we can see it taking shape. 

1 hour ago, Moon said:

Slight hyperbole there mate.

I've been on record as saying that we were so bad that we can't get too upset about anyone going as we really need to improve.

But I kinda expected the poorer guys to go first. O'Neil, Wilkie, Gallagher would not have been my first three picks to go 

I think some of the poorer guys you’re referring to may still be under contract. Hopefully we’ll be working on cutting some of them loose, but that’s not as easy as parting company with people whose contracts have naturally expired. 

37 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

And if there isn't we'll at least have lots of fuel for the bitter recrimination that will run for the rest of the season.

Haha, there’ll be plenty people waiting in the wings for that I’m sure.

Murray and Millar now have the responsibility of putting a team on the park capable of challenging for promotion, not just a play off spot. If they don’t, then of course, on their heads be it. However I am willing to give them the chance to do it. It’s going to be an interesting close-season. 

O'Neil was one of the only players I said I'd be disappointed if he were to go. And I am. But come on let's, not kids ourselves that he isn't perfectly replaceable. Also, I'm not entirely comfortable with his maw parading around the Facebook group about how low an offer he was given. Obviously, I'm sure there's some truth to it given he didn't sign but that sort of stuff really doesn't need to be aired publically. And given he allegedly only lives in Coatbridge it seems like there's some hyperbole going on. Players/player's spouses and other family members shouldn't be allowed in that group IMO. Murray and Millar have a budget to sign up new players (including full-timers), offer existing players new deals and will also presumably have set money aside to pay off some of the contracted players (Page and Victoria). Maybe they've offered the likes of Hutton and others improved deals? If the deal they offered Chris was the only deal we could offer him without going over budget then it's a pity he didn't sign but it is what it is. At the end of the day, I don't think any of us would want us blowing our budget on Chris O'Neil. 

The season isn't even over yet and there's still plenty of time for a squad to be signed up and for more comings and goings. The contracted guys will have contract formalities to sort out and possible payoffs or other deals to negotiate that will naturally take longer to deal with than the out of contract players. If by the League Cup/the start of the league campaign we still haven't signed better than the likes of O'Neil/Wilkie/Gallagher then aye it will be fair game to criticise the board and/or management team. But until then it's only fair we give them the chance to sign up a squad. 

Going by the article in the Advertiser with Kieran Millar it seems like there will be more news coming soon too on who's staying and going. 

4 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Aiden Meechan being reported as a full time signing according to FB

Think he is/was on the books at the club before? An U19/reserve but been at Gartcairn and Forth Wanderers. Would think he'd be a reserve signing as he fits exactly into that profile but hey could be the next Willie McLaren... 

26 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Murray and Millar have a budget to sign up new players (including full-timers), offer existing players new deals and will also presumably have set money aside to pay off some of the contracted players (Page and Victoria). Maybe they've offered the likes of Hutton and others improved deals? If the deal they offered Chris was the only deal we could offer him without going over budget then it's a pity he didn't sign but it is what it is. At the end of the day, I don't think any of us would want us blowing our budget on Chris O'Neil. 

Murray is a decent negotiator from what I've heard, doesn't surprise me if he's trying to drive down squad player wages. He likes to use a lot of players so keeping squad player wages low is a must for him.  I'd expect a fairly big squad.

Edited by The Moonster

Club Statement:

"In addition to the five players who were allowed to leave on expiry of their contracts, the club have made a number of others available for transfer.

Defenders Jonathan Page and Scott Robertson, midfielders Dean Cairns and Ryan Conroy, and striker Joao Victoria have all been placed on the transfer list in light of the upcoming changes to the squad set-up at the club. All Championship, League One and League Two clubs have been notified of their availability.

Defender Kieran MacDonald and midfielder Scott Stewart, although part of the manager’s plans for next season, have also been listed as available due to the pair entering the final year of their contracts."

Would be sad to see Deano go but it did seem inevitable since he barely featured under Murray. Likewise, I hope Scotty Stewart stays too although I could easily see him get picked up. Ambivalent about MacDonald but hope the rest find another club ASAP. 

Surprised to see Stewart on that list, he's always stood out whenever I've seen us play yourselves.

It seems a risky strategy to be offloading/offer small wages to the better part timers in order to fund the full timers. Airdrie will surely be bottom of the ladder in terms of full-time wages and with at least two other full-time clubs in League 1 you may struggle for quality signings.

Fair fucks if it works out.

Which leaves from the 1st team Squad (at the moment):

Scott Gallacher

David Hutton

Sean Crighton

Josh Edwards

Kieran Miller

Dale Carrick

Dean Hawkshaw

Leighton McIntosh

Cammy Russell

(Scott Stewart)

(Kieran MacDonald)

Happy that Hutton Carrick and Hawkshaw are still here. Hopefully Leighton McIntosh can improve and push on as well.  The rest, I can give or take.

2 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Of course there is no possibility that the club did offer a genuinely disrespectful amount (coz that's never happened under previous regimes) and I'm sure you'd handle the same situation much better if you were his "wee maw".

Why is it disrespectful? The club have offered him what they think he is worth and he has rejected it, as he is perfectly entitled to do and good luck to him.

I wasn't sure about keeping him anyway, I'd hope we are aiming to go with 4 at the back in the coming season and he has always been unconvincing in that system. I'd have done exactly what the club did, offer him less and if he accepts you've made a saving on a squad player, if not it's no loss.

It appears that the club are being ruthless and getting almost everyone out, which is good to see.

Of the ones on the transfer list Cairns, Stewart and maybe Robertson are ones I'd rather were still here.  Not really bothered about the others. 

Edited by Tulloch Gorum

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Why is it disrespectful? The club have offered him what they think he is worth and he has rejected it, as he is perfectly entitled to do and good luck to him.

Why was what disrepectful?  The amount that O'Neill was offered?  I have no idea what he was offered or how it compares to what teams in this division consider a reasonable wage, so don't know either way.

I'd have done exactly what the club did, offer him less and if he accepts you've made a saving on a squad player, if not it's no loss.

If that’s the way we’re going to be going about our business, come the start of the season we’ll be left with all the duds that can’t get a deal anywhere else. It will be just like the Ballantyne era.

8 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Why was what disrepectful?  The amount that O'Neill was offered?  I have no idea what he was offered or how it compares to what teams in this division consider a reasonable wage, so don't know either way.

You were clearly implying that the club may have offered him a disrespectful amount of money. I don't see how any amount could be disrespectful, we owe no-one a living. These are business decisions and I don't think looking at it from an emotive point of view is particularly helpful to anyone.

If he thinks he is better than the salary that was offered (which he may well be) then he is absolutely right to back himself and try to get more elsewhere. And the club are equally right to not pay him more than what they think he is worth to them.

1 minute ago, AFC1878 said:

If that’s the way we’re going to be going about our business, we’ll be left with all the duds that can’t get a deal elsewhere come the start of the season.

How does that follow? This is in regard to players that we currently have, almost all of which I'd be happy to see go. It's a way of ensuring we have a squad, but also have enough money to bring in better players so that we wont be relying on the cast offs.