Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts

*sigh* Imagine losing a player to that shower.

Right, so, I'm sure a few of you will get your knickers in a twist over this assessment:

 GK:

Cantley: Never made a first team appearance, not really expected to
Currie: OK, fine. But is this his level?

Def:

Fordyce: Strong centre back
Kerr: Upgrade on Crighton if he can stay fit
Quitongo: Finished 9th, downgrade on previous LB, notable step backwards
Walker: Developing. Not as good as McKay.
Wardrop: Says he is a winner, finished 9th.
Watson: From another team that finished in the bottom half of the table, 6th this time.

Mid:

Agnew: Aging but also fills a roll as Assistant Manager. Didnt have a great 2nd half of season, is he done? Team he came from finished 6th
Easton: Known to blow hot and cold, can be an exciting player or a waste of space. Which one we are getting by the sounds of things is on a game by game basis. Lots of goals last season, but lowland league.
Frizzell: Finished 9th. Doesn't seem to have done much of anything since leaving kilmarnock.
McCabe: I have a sheff wednesday fan who is a member of my team at work, so asked him about McCabe, and the answer was "player who thinks he is better than he actually is". Can Murray motivate McCabe into being that quality player that he should have about him? I don't really think Murray wins the motivation game very often tbh.
Richie: Quite an anonymous player for someone who is there to provide utility
Robert: Murray hasn't developed him any further towards his supposed potential unfortunately. Has glimpses of quality, but still needs to handle the physical game much better than at present. People seem to think he is off, so?

Atk:

Allan: Couldnt get a game in a team that were relegated.
Gallagher: Will score goals if he gets service
Pyott: Tea maker extrordinaire???

This squad as it stands looks like a mid table squad at best, and certainly wont have me rushing out to buy a season ticket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Last I heard Mbayo was rocking up at Dumbarton. 😯😯😯

I don't imagine we'll be signing another CB around this level as we now have McGeever, Buchanan and young fella Lynch who was at Alloa last season. May be wrong though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will wait to see how our squad actually plays before I lose the plot and for the time being I will watch some boring internationals. McCann is a good L1 player at present so best of luck to him with what looks like a better contract/money-it's what most players seek as a career if FT or as a good add if you play PT. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

I don't imagine we'll be signing another CB around this level as we now have McGeever, Buchanan and young fella Lynch who was at Alloa last season. May be wrong though...

Don't worry of you sign Mbayo you won't really be getting a centre back or even a football player...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Passionate said:

Last I heard Mbayo was rocking up at Dumbarton. 😯😯😯

Haha I jokingly said they might sign him after they signed his agency buddy Eoghan Stokes so it would be very funny (if unfortunate for Dumbarton) if they did 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Haha I jokingly said they might sign him after they signed his agency buddy Eoghan Stokes so it would be very funny (if unfortunate for Dumbarton) if they did 😂

You never know......😂😂

 

The only thing I remember Mbayo doing was blootering the  ball out the stadium against Partick,   truly bizarre signing....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t know about anyone else but after that result today and the impending implosion of the Scotland team (I’m trying to stay positive but been here too many times before) I’m more than ready to get focused on the upcoming season.  Thinking today’s game probably prevented some transfer and signing activity but hoping tomorrow there may be more to talk about.  Don’t know if anyone has heard any more rumours, expecting another signing this week though.   Especially with pre-season right around the corner 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Don’t know about anyone else but after that result today and the impending implosion of the Scotland team (I’m trying to stay positive but been here too many times before) I’m more than ready to get focused on the upcoming season.  Thinking today’s game probably prevented some transfer and signing activity but hoping tomorrow there may be more to talk about.  Don’t know if anyone has heard any more rumours, expecting another signing this week though.   Especially with pre-season right around the corner 

Being an Airdrie fan is an ideal YTS for Scotland fandom to be fair!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/06/2021 at 21:06, lionel wickson said:
On 11/06/2021 at 19:53, Jack Reed said:
Do need a big striker, the players signed are a bit more attack minded and will give Gallagher better service, don't think we are far away, 

They don't come much bigger than Robert Jones. He's your man.

A big striker who used to play for Dumbarton? 

Bring him home. 

Airdrieonians 4 Stirling Albion 1: Strike stars fire Diamonds to victory -  Daily Record

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/06/2021 at 22:29, Passionate said:

You never know......😂😂

 

The only thing I remember Mbayo doing was blootering the  ball out the stadium against Partick,   truly bizarre signing....

He also made Blair Henderson look like prime Gabriel Batistusta in the League Cup group game. And we only ended up playing Paul McKay at the back and thus ended the season with the back three so Murray could do literally anything other than play Mbayo 😂

An utterly pointless signing - for the club and the player. What a waste of time moving all the way up from Truro for probably no more than 90 minutes over an entire season! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 weeks (and a day) till our first competitive fixture (Annan in the league cup), would hope to see the squad finalised soon, which surely means a few more players as there are only 17 at the moment.

Edited by G_H
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It a all went quiet this week,   Still at least 4 players short,  most of the available strikers have been signed up, although we are not the only team in our League looking for strikers and to be honest we have more options than some,   Any other signings on the horizon....

 

Also can anyone confirm if preseason training has started yet,  some of our rivals went back 10 days ago....  We need every advantage we can get this season...

 

 

Hopefully this week we will get some season ticket news.  And you never know the release of this season's kit might be announced also....

 

21 days and counting to the first competitive game, cannot wait......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/06/2021 at 13:37, Passionate said:

It a all went quiet this week,   Still at least 4 players short,  most of the available strikers have been signed up, although we are not the only team in our League looking for strikers and to be honest we have more options than some,   Any other signings on the horizon....

 

Also can anyone confirm if preseason training has started yet,  some of our rivals went back 10 days ago....  We need every advantage we can get this season...

 

 

Hopefully this week we will get some season ticket news.  And you never know the release of this season's kit might be announced also....

 

21 days and counting to the first competitive game, cannot wait......

I saw the club mentioned in their NLL Cup tweet today that pre-season is well underway, although how long they’ve been training for I don’t know. I noticed the club mentioned in a Facebook reply that an announcement on season tickets will be made soon and some ITK types have also said the kit should be revealed/available soon. 
 

Still a few signings to be made although I imagine there will be a lot of clubs in the same market as us and making offers to the same players, especially strikers like you say and I dare say the players who unsuccessfully held out for full-time or Championship deals will soon be dropping down to this level. We’ll no doubt sign a loanee or two as well. Don’t remember there being many good strikers released or available at all so it will be interesting to see who we bring in there as it’s one area of the park we definitely still need to strengthen. 
 

Can’t wait to get back to it as well. Particularly battering Motherwell in the League Cup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Came across this recent interview with Eoghan Stokes. He’s not very complementary of his time at Airdrie though we would say the exact same thing about him. He’s at it if he genuinely thinks Chris Woods being sold cost him a first team opportunity at Leeds United 😂 Wild. You’re just shite mate. Although he is going to score against us next season and do some sort of Adebayor esque celebration in front of the dugout and main stand and I’ll very much respect/be here for that small time behaviour. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/former-leeds-united-kid-eoghan-24329641

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Came across this recent interview with Eoghan Stokes. He’s not very complementary of his time at Airdrie though we would say the exact same thing about him. He’s at it if he genuinely thinks Chris Woods being sold cost him a first team opportunity at Leeds United 😂 Wild. You’re just shite mate. Although he is going to score against us next season and do some sort of Adebayor esque celebration in front of the dugout and main stand and I’ll very much respect/be here for that small time behaviour. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/former-leeds-united-kid-eoghan-24329641

Something wrong  though that we signed so many players over the passed few seasons that rarely get a start in the team, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...