The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Guest Peter LaFleur
4 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Easton is the dictionary definition of a mercenary, but he's worth the wage in entertainment value alone. A wonderful player when he's on it.

Easton got clapped off by the Falkirk fans when we played against him with Hartleys jobber XI. It was probably as early as that League Cup game pre-season I knew we were going down. Great player and the type you pay money to watch on his day. At this level you just need to be prepared that it’s not going to happen for him every weekend.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

22 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye, it allegiance to Airdrie, players will come and go, fans worth a lot more,, let's hope we can bring in 2or 3 good players  that will give us something to shout about, 

Can't believe you found that old Forfar post but it shows that somethings rarely change!

4 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:
4 hours ago, airdrieman said:
It’s a position we needed cover in and it was always likely to be a youngster. Fair enough. 

My concern is that there has been a fair turnover of these youngsters providing cover in recent years with none of them developing into a first team No.1. Is that a scouting or coaching issue?

We do seem to be churning them out pretty regularly but I think that's quite common in the lower leagues? Not to be all yer da but I do my prefer my goalies to be tall and imposing and Cantley doesn't strike me as either of those things 😂 Although TBH it probably won't matter - I doubt he'll play beyond coming on if Currie gets injured or sent off in a game after which we'll just bring in another goalie on loan. Whether that's the best strategy I don't know but that's what I imagine would happen. 

3 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Does that mean we're now finished building our midfield?

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

I make that 4 midfield signings I suppose it depends on Murray's formational plans. If he's planning to play basically a 5 in midfield we may see another. Really need another forward most at the moment.

We will definitely need to bring in a holding midfielder and/or a more box-to-box midfielder as well. As talented as Agnew, McCabe and Easton there's not going to be a lot of defensive work or work-rate going on there. I assume this is the plan seeing as we were after Paton although perhaps missing out on him will mean we have to look further down our list of targets. I wouldn't mind another attacking midfield/wing option depending on what formation Murray opts for although if Robert stays I wouldn't mind that being him. Might be a decent shout to use that spot for a loan player also or instead. Two more defensive minded midfielders would be good to add some depth in that position although I suspect we might sign one and use Ritchie (still waiting to hear about him 😂), Kerr and Watson as our 'depth' there for better or worse. A decent striker or two next please. 

Very happy with our business today. Backup goalkeeper sorted and two decent midfielders in, which goes a long way to solving what has been our problem area of the park for 2-3 seasons now before Turner and Paton arrived. As I've said previously, Agnew, McCabe and Easton are all miles better than anybody we started last season in midfield with. Definitely need some more steel and defensive-minded players in there but I'm sure that will come. 

I make that every 'rumour' that's been posted on here correct so far. I'm not ITK whatsoever but I am going to indulge and pop myself by posting about Steven Boyd (previously of East Fife) leaving Peterhead as he wants full-time football. 

Steven Boyd - come on down. 

20 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

We do seem to be churning them out pretty regularly but I think that's quite common in the lower leagues? Not to be all yer da but I do my prefer my goalies to be tall and imposing and Cantley doesn't strike me as either of those things 😂 Although TBH it probably won't matter - I doubt he'll play beyond coming on if Currie gets injured or sent off in a game after which we'll just bring in another goalie on loan. Whether that's the best strategy I don't know but that's what I imagine would happen. 

We will definitely need to bring in a holding midfielder and/or a more box-to-box midfielder as well. As talented as Agnew, McCabe and Easton there's not going to be a lot of defensive work or work-rate going on there. I assume this is the plan seeing as we were after Paton although perhaps missing out on him will mean we have to look further down our list of targets. I wouldn't mind another attacking midfield/wing option depending on what formation Murray opts for although if Robert stays I wouldn't mind that being him. Might be a decent shout to use that spot for a loan player also or instead. Two more defensive minded midfielders would be good to add some depth in that position although I suspect we might sign one and use Ritchie (still waiting to hear about him 😂), Kerr and Watson as our 'depth' there for better or worse. A decent striker or two next please. 

Very happy with our business today. Backup goalkeeper sorted and two decent midfielders in, which goes a long way to solving what has been our problem area of the park for 2-3 seasons now before Turner and Paton arrived. As I've said previously, Agnew, McCabe and Easton are all miles better than anybody we started last season in midfield with. Definitely need some more steel and defensive-minded players in there but I'm sure that will come. 

Do need a big striker, the players signed are a bit more attack minded and will give Gallagher better service, don't think we are far away, 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Do need a big striker, the players signed are a bit more attack minded and will give Gallagher better service, don't think we are far away, 

I would concur although so are most at our level and i've no idea who fits the bill.

12 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:
1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

They don't come much bigger than Robert Jones. He's your man.

That’s when we know Murray’s taken the signing anyone with a link to Dumbarton thing too far.

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

. As I've said previously, Agnew, McCabe and Easton are all miles better than anybody we started last season in midfield with. Definitely need some more steel and defensive-minded players in there but I'm sure that will come. 

See this is the key thing for me, I've moaned (and moaned and moaned) over the past ten days because no one we'd signed was better than their counterpart last year for me (even Agnew was a downgrade from Turner). But today's business as you said shows a significant upgrade on this time last year in midfield. 

Has Kris Doolan been signed up for next season? I know he left Arbroath because the drive from Ayrshire was getting to be too much… was out talking with a few guys tonight and his name was mentioned.   Would be a great shout at this level.  Just wondered if he’s looking for a club or if he’s hung up his boots 

Alloa bound. 

23 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Has Kris Doolan been signed up for next season? I know he left Arbroath because the drive from Ayrshire was getting to be too much… was out talking with a few guys tonight and his name was mentioned.   Would be a great shout at this level.  Just wondered if he’s looking for a club or if he’s hung up his boots 

Alloa along with Sammon apparently. 

25 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Striker is a position we need to strengthen,   in a,way we are lucky with Gallagher and Allan would think they could get 20 goals between them,   

Very few strikers still available at this level,,,,  Russell McLean (Montrose) and Steven Boyd could be in  our range although mo are confident of getting McLean to resign.

Doolan and Sammon are both done and sliding down the leagues....

14 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I've always liked Easton as a player so would be happy with that. Agnew, Easton and McCabe are certainly better than any midfielder we started last season with anyway. Hopefully have a decent holding midfielder lined up now that Paton has gone elsewhere. 

Although I was a big fan of Paul Paton and would have been happy to resign him,  the signings of Agnew, Easton ,McCabe and Frizzell has raised the quality big time,  Whatever the formation Murray plays do we need a  defensive midfield player,    Kerr and Watson could slot into defensive midfield if required...   Looks like Leon could be away,  Good luck to the lad,   that would leave Dean Ritchie as the only player left tosign.

Still think we need a centre Half,  midfield player  and another striker.    Who though....

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Although I was a big fan of Paul Paton and would have been happy to resign him,  the signings of Agnew, Easton ,McCabe and Frizzell has raised the quality big time,  Whatever the formation Murray plays do we need a  defensive midfield player,    Kerr and Watson could slot into defensive midfield if required...   Looks like Leon could be away,  Good luck to the lad,   that would leave Dean Ritchie as the only player left tosign.

Still think we need a centre Half,  midfield player  and another striker.    Who though....

What’s the latest on Leon? Where’s he headed?