The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I’m not sure how well a midfield of Paton and Agnew would do, we’d definitely need a third player in there who was very energetic and good box to box. I know Rhys McCabe has been mentioned elsewhere but from the little I know of him he’s not really that kind of player. 

Steven Bell would be a phenomenal signing. He made a massive difference to Thistle when he came in there and him and Fordyce would be a very solid defence to build from. I think he originally left Ayr and went part-time as he didn’t feel up to Championship football anymore so perhaps our hybrid system would suit him well. 

I like how Murray was saying yesterday that he didn’t want to name our targets and rightly so, only for Stevie Aitken to come out the next day and name two of them :lol: He really loves the sound of his own voice, doesn’t he?

Edited by Mr November

I’d be more than happy with both of them signing although I read it as Thistle wanting to sign Bell and us wanting to sign Paton rather than both clubs being in for both players but I could be wrong. 

I’d be delighted to see Paton back. Turner was the more exciting, more tangible player but Paton made a huge difference to that midfield and the side overall as well. He brought balance, experience, steel and a bit of nous to a side that desperately needed it. There’s no doubt his involvement helped contribute to the improvement in Currie and the defence and he also allowed Turner, the rest of the midfield and the forwards to do what they do best also. My one concern would be that he picked up two bad injuries in a short space of time although I guess that could be caveated by the number of games we were playing in that time and the fact his season had been so stop start. We’d probably need to sign another defensive mid as well as a more box-to-box type as we'll certainly need better backup in that position than Dean Ritchie. 

I’m not sure how well a midfield of Paton and Agnew would do, we’d definitely need a third player in there who was very energetic and good box to box. I know Rhys McCabe has been mentioned elsewhere but from the little I know of him he’s not really that kind of player. 
Steven Bell would be a phenomenal signing. He made a massive difference to Thistle when he came in there and him and Fordyce would be a very solid defence to build from. I think he originally left Ayr and went part-time as he didn’t feel up to Championship football anymore so perhaps our hybrid system would suit him well. 
I like how Murray was saying yesterday that he didn’t want to name our targets and rightly so, only for Stevie Aitken to come out the next day and name two of them [emoji38] He really loves the sound of his own voice, doesn’t he?
If Murray is signing guys to play in a 352 like how we've played recently I would assume Agnew would be playing behind the strikers rather than next to Paton, could be wrong though.

I'd be very pleased to see Paton back and would hope to get that box to box type/ Turner replacement signed up soon although the rumours have dried up a little since the Dumbarton signings

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I’d be more than happy with both of them signing although I read it as Thistle wanting to sign Bell and us wanting to sign Paton rather than both clubs being in for both players but I could be wrong. 

I’d be delighted to see Paton back. Turner was the more exciting, more tangible player but Paton made a huge difference to that midfield and the side overall as well. He brought balance, experience, steel and a bit of nous to a side that desperately needed it. There’s no doubt his involvement helped contribute to the improvement in Currie and the defence and he also allowed Turner, the rest of the midfield and the forwards to do what they do best also. My one concern would be that he picked up two bad injuries in a short space of time although I guess that could be caveated by the number of games we were playing in that time and the fact his season had been so stop start. We’d probably need to sign another defensive mid as well as a more box-to-box type as we'll certainly need better backup in that position than Dean Ritchie. 

Exactly this - it is only Paton we are wanting to sign, Thistle are looking at Bell.  

Brilliant news!

Certainly sounds like he’ll be used as a defender rather than in midfield. I was happy enough with the defence as it was but this really adds to that and gives us a great base to build from.

Edited by Mr November

Guest Peter LaFleur
Just now, Mr November said:

Brilliant news!

Yep great work from Airdrie. If McCann is next you have done incredibly well retaining both. 

I was pleased reading the article that Murray emphasised Kerr playing in defence, with no mention of him as a midfielder at all which is very much the opposite of how his re-signing announcement last season went. Hopefully that experiment is over. Delighted with that, I was certain he'd be offski. With Fordyce, Watson and now Kerr our central defence is as strong if not better than last season's IMO. Kerr and Watson will certainly allow us to play out from the back a lot more than we ever could with Crighton. 

Edited by airdrieman

With that signing, out starting 11 is looking something like:

Currie

Watson - Kerr - Fordyce

Wardrop - Ritchie - ??? - Quitongo/ McCann

Agnew

Gallagher - Allan

Subs: Walker, Frizzell, Ritchie, Robert?, Pyott

Not too bad for this stage of the season, not as doom as gloom as I thought it was. Who we manage to bring in in midfield is going to be absolutely crucial. We simply can’t get away with starting the season with guys like McKay/ Ritchie/ Kerr/ Sabatini/ Stokes playing there.

34 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Brilliant news!

Certainly sounds like he’ll be used as a defender rather than in midfield. I was happy enough with the defence as it was but this really adds to that and gives us a great base to build from.

Best signing yet!

13 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Currie

Watson - Kerr - Fordyce

Agnew

Gallagher - Allan

Not too bad for this stage of the season, not as doom as gloom as I thought it was. Who we manage to bring in in midfield is going to be absolutely crucial. We simply can’t get away with starting the season with guys like McKay/ Ritchie/ Kerr/ Sabatini/ Stokes playing there.

Surely Agnew would play in the deeper role with someone like Frizzell going in behind the strikers?

18 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Currie

Watson - Kerr - Fordyce

Agnew

Gallagher - Allan

Is Allan going to start?

Surely Agnew would play in the deeper role with someone like Frizzell going in behind the strikers?

I thought Frizzell was a winger in which case he would replace the Thomson/ O’Reilly role coming off the bench to run at defences in the last 20 mins of games. I may be wrong however!