Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I see from the BBC website that they are talking about league reconstruction next year with a 12 team Championship, this might actually make promotion next year more difficult as they mention that the top two would go up automatically, i.e. no playoffs, so the target would need to be 2nd at the very least.

They can piss off with the colts team idea too.

2 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

If you rearrange the words of the headline it makes more sense "Scottish Premiership play-offs 'anti-sport' - Ayr United's pathetic Ian McCall

3 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

I see from the BBC website that they are talking about league reconstruction next year with a 12 team Championship, this might actually make promotion next year more difficult as they mention that the top two would go up automatically, i.e. no playoffs, so the target would need to be 2nd at the very least.

The no relegation proposal is ridiculous.  There should always be some sanction for performing worse than all the other teams in the league.

As for colts, it's as if the SPFL leadership need to keep resurrecting the corpse of this discussion until they get the outcome they want.  It appears that "shame" is not in great supply amongst the the big boys.

Putting aside everything else, the Colts idea affects the sporting side of things. They cannot be allowed to play in the same league as their big team, so at some point they will need to be denied promotion. 

This could mean that Celtic Colts win the championship (or even League 2) every year and there is either no promotion, or a team who is 2nd or even 3rd best (if Rangers Colts come second) being promoted.  It's nonsense.

Plus I just don't like it. There are real clubs out there who would love to play in Senior football, why should these wee diddies get a chance over them?

Everything is OF this an OF that what’s the point in having any other teams in the league when it’s all to suit the The bigot sisters

Some of the senior players being told tonight if they're staying or going.

8 hours ago, Moon said:

They can piss off with the colts team idea too.

Aye, it makes a joke of it. I thought it might improve attendances but it seemingly doesn't even do that. People need to REALLY ensure it doesn't end up like Spain. 

Aye, it makes a joke of it. I thought it might improve attendances but it seemingly doesn't even do that. People need to REALLY ensure it doesn't end up like Spain. 

You have to admit though, the idea that colt teams is all that’s required to transform Motherwell into Athletico and Kilmarnock into Valencia is actually a pretty fucking hilarious one.

saw we’ve been lined with the big CM from raith Wedderburn, don’t know if it’s been mentioned here or not, thoughts?

Don't rate him what I have seen of him very one paced.

Wedderburn maybe one paced but he does a few things exceptionally well. He retains possession with relative ease. He rarely misplaces a pass and links up play effectively.

He is also a physical presence at set plays....we could do a lot worse.

2 hours ago, Nipper said:

Some of the senior players being told tonight they're going.

Here's hoping.

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Grant Gallagher offski.

Like Duffy can't really argue with that. A good pro and by all accounts a nice guy but we need much better if we genuinely want to challenge. I thought he had a few good games. Done the simple stuff really well, won possession and sprayed about passes but they really were few and far between. If he wasn't playing well he was honking, there didn't seem to be much of an in-between with him but he was always willing to try something while in possession at least. Best of luck to him and to Darryl. 

21 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Like Duffy can't really argue with that. A good pro and by all accounts a nice guy but we need much better if we genuinely want to challenge. I thought he had a few good games. Done the simple stuff really well, won possession and sprayed about passes but they really were few and far between. If he wasn't playing well he was honking, there didn't seem to be much of an in-between with him but he was always willing to try something while in possession at least. Best of luck to him and to Darryl. 

Has he been injured since February or just dropped? I noticed he hasn't played since then.