Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Jesus wept. His third spell, having done the square root of sod all the first twice. This is dire stuff. Jobbers from all over the gaff. Lets stop softly softlying round these piss poor signings. Not one new signing bar Agnew is a player who would have appeared on any Airdrie fans signing target lists.

Don't panic i hear Dean Ritchie is about to be unveiled with the scarf above his head in the coming days....  😂😂

 

I have been quite positive about signings so far.   Jordan Allan,  sorry not for me, but can he hit 6 goals, if so he will be as effective as Ally Roy.....  So the bar isn't that high......

 

Falkirk will run away with this league,    anybody up for the playoffs again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I think Agnew is a good signing albeit we will need legs in the midfield to play alongside him. I think Wardrop is an upgrade on our right-backs after MacDonald left and Quitongo and Watson are fair replacements for McCann and Kerr/McKay even if they’re not quite as good or don’t have as high a ceiling at least. I’m more meh and less convinced about Frizzell (if we do sign him) and Allan although I do think there is some ability there that we can hopefully get more out of than their previous clubs did. At the very least they’re probably on a par with O’Reilly/Thomson and Roy respectively. 

But all of that being said - it’s all well and good replacing your squad players with players of a similar ability and signing up a solid but unspectacular defence. BUT we will need to start replacing the Patons/Turners/Carricks with players of a similar quality or of a higher standard than the players we have at the moment soon. Even position wise that is something we haven’t really done yet. It’s still early doors and the club do seem to be aware of the need to improve the midfield and bring in a higher quality of player. Hopefully it’s just a case of better players taking longer to decide on their options and we get some movement on that front soon. It’s probably worth remembering the difference Paton and Turner made to the side alone so if we can really get the midfield right I’ll be fairly confident whoever is playing behind and in front of them. Not sure I fancy a strike partnership of Allan and Pyott even though I of course hope they both do well! 😂

Edited by airdrieman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

That's because most fans know f**k all about managing a football team and what actually makes a good player. 

 

What a bizarre, bizarre thing to come back with. So because folk don't have their coaching badges they should sit on their hands and shoosh? There are no true upgrades for me in any of the players signed (Agnew isn't even near Turner quality wise). Several are a risk (Quitongo, Allan, Wardrope), some resignings are a waste of a wage (Pyott). None of that is even small cause for optimism at the moment. People parroting that we should wait and see and trust the manager. The manager couldn't get a turn out of his players for the vast majority of the last two years. He was universally and rightly criticised for being cluless and useless, but one short run of good form and he's suddenly reborn as a master tactician? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

What a bizarre, bizarre thing to come back with. So because folk don't have their coaching badges they should sit on their hands and shoosh? There are no true upgrades for me in any of the players signed (Agnew isn't even near Turner quality wise). Several are a risk (Quitongo, Allan, Wardrope), some resignings are a waste of a wage (Pyott). None of that is even small cause for optimism at the moment. People parroting that we should wait and see and trust the manager. The manager couldn't get a turn out of his players for the vast majority of the last two years. He was universally and rightly criticised for being cluless and useless, but one short run of good form and he's suddenly reborn as a master tactician? 

Think that’s a fairly inaccurate summation of Murray’s time in charge - he took a team that couldn’t buy a win under Findlay and took them to within a whisker of the playoffs. We finished 3rd the following season, only a fraction off of Falkirk and Raith. Then we were 2nd last season, just 2 points off Partick.

You can disagree with his methods, playing style, etc. all you like but he’s been pretty successful. That’s just fact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

Think that’s a fairly inaccurate summation of Murray’s time in charge - he took a team that couldn’t buy a win under Findlay and took them to within a whisker of the playoffs. We finished 3rd the following season, only a fraction off of Falkirk and Raith. Then we were 2nd last season, just 2 points off Partick.

You can disagree with his methods, playing style, etc. all you like but he’s been pretty successful. That’s just fact.

I would disagree with his methods and playing style, but he doesn't actually have either of those things does he? Or is that now going to be subject to revisionist history as well? I have no idea in the last two seasons what his actual tactics are, what his best formation is and I could go on and on in a similar vein. I thought this was universally accepted among our fans? No??

Edited by cb_diamond
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I would disagree with his methods and playing style, but he doesn't actually have either of those things does he? Or is that now going to be subject to revisionist history as well? I have no idea in the last two seasons what his actual tactics are, what his best formation is and I could go on and on in a similar vein. I thought this was universally accepted among our fans? No??

Agree managers record looks good on paper, fans that have been  watching every game know different, if we were being truthful apart from a couple of games we were played off the park, every thing seems to have changed, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I missed out on seeing the 14 yr old Jordan Allan as a sub since I was hiding on a holiday. I have a vague memory of him coming back in on a loan but can't recall much. I knew he had been at Central Park and scored a few but he hardly featured with Forfar-might have seen him in a TV game against the Arabs? Not exactly an exciting addition to our squad but will hold back on any comments till he actually plays. As to where this squad is going it's more about solid than challenging at the present.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think that’s a fairly inaccurate summation of Murray’s time in charge - he took a team that couldn’t buy a win under Findlay and took them to within a whisker of the playoffs. We finished 3rd the following season, only a fraction off of Falkirk and Raith. Then we were 2nd last season, just 2 points off Partick.
You can disagree with his methods, playing style, etc. all you like but he’s been pretty successful. That’s just fact.

Agree with this, at the end of the day it’s a results based business and Murray has got a lot of positive results compared to other managers in the past, we’ve improved every season since he’s came in, hopefully go one better this coming season
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I would disagree with his methods and playing style, but he doesn't actually have either of those things does he? Or is that now going to be subject to revisionist history as well? I have no idea in the last two seasons what his actual tactics are, what his best formation is and I could go on and on in a similar vein. I thought this was universally accepted among our fans? No??

I never said that he was a tactical genius, or that he always got his team selection spot on. What I said was that he has gotten a tune out of his squads for three years, which has brought us results. The rest of it, I couldn’t really care less about - I want my team to win.

I’ve said it before, of course I’d love us to be playing exciting, attacking free-flowing football, but I’m a realist and like I say, to me that’s secondary.

It’s like the way everyone fawns over Archibald’s team - you cannot deny there were some wonderful players there and it was exciting. But our results were pretty disastrous, people forget that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

What's fans thoughts on Paul McKay  heard he could be on way to Palmerston. 

Decent player who can play right back center back or center midfielder makes decent runs into the box and can Chuck a ball in the box from throw ins not sure if he will be any good in the championship.

Could be decent for use as long as his brother doesn’t come with him use should be good

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I make it then that we’re still waiting for Frizzell to be confirmed and to hear what’s happening with Walker, Ritchie and Robert. Walker and Ritchie are strange ones as I can’t imagine they have better offers than Airdrie but perhaps they’re holding out for somewhere they might play more regularly. I’m not exactly desperate to keep either of them but I liked Walker last season and think he’s a decent enough prospect. Would be good to get some official word on what’s happening with Robert. Hopefully some more signing news to come over the weekend! 
 

And it looks as if O’Reilly is off to Stenny to continue or player swaps with Stenhousemuir/Dumbarton and (apparently) QOS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

What's fans thoughts on Paul McKay  heard he could be on way to Palmerston. 

 

On 03/06/2021 at 23:54, airdrieman said:

McKay became a real scapegoat for Airdrie fans - largely because of the rumoured influence his father had behind the scenes (though this has never been credibly proven) and our insistence on taking long throw-ins (which wasn’t his fault) rather than his ability IMO. But I’ve always liked him. He played centre mid in 2019/20 and I thought he was our best midfielder that season. He was a decent box-to-box type midfielder who was decent enough at most things without particularly great at any one thing. His best attribute was probably making runs into the opposition’s box from which he actually scored a few times and/or hit the bar or created chances. He didn’t work in midfield last season but I think this was largely down to him being our most experienced midfielder at the start of last season (despite his only senior experience being the season previous with us) and the rest of the midfield being entirely made up of similarly defensive or limited players. He’s a solid right-back and has the athleticism to play there but I think he’s guilty of just hoofing it down the line when he’s at right-back. He can also take a long throw-in. This had some success but this largely became nulled as it became the only thing we ever did at throw-ins and therefore increasingly easy to defend against. With the notable and hilarious exception of Falkirk. His best position for us was probably as a centre-half in a back three though that is from a small sample size. 
 

He’s definitely not as good as Kerr and doesn’t have as high a ceiling as him either. But even from a versatility standpoint he’s a good player to have in the squad and he’s definitely a bottom-half of the Championship/top-half of League 1 player IMO. 
 

His brother Jack is a big dumplin’ though. Avoid at all costs. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

I never said that he was a tactical genius, or that he always got his team selection spot on. What I said was that he has gotten a tune out of his squads for three years, which has brought us results. The rest of it, I couldn’t really care less about - I want my team to win.

I’ve said it before, of course I’d love us to be playing exciting, attacking free-flowing football, but I’m a realist and like I say, to me that’s secondary.

It’s like the way everyone fawns over Archibald’s team - you cannot deny there were some wonderful players there and it was exciting. But our results were pretty disastrous, people forget that.

I wouldn't say results were disastrous under Archibald. The team had no pre-season and took a wee while to get to grips with our game. After that they were excellent. I would take that team ahead of anything I have seen since

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scott Walker signs a new deal. The club also tweeted about ‘diamonds midfielder’ Dean Ritchie’s charity fundraiser so presumably he is also sticking around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

What's fans thoughts on Paul McKay  heard he could be on way to Palmerston. 

I'm firmly in the "he's a dumpling camp" and never thought he would go up a level as i was delighted when he didn't sign a new contract for us.

He's fit, athletic and has a long throw but other than that he has no other attributes especially with the ball at his feet, simply can't play. As has been mentioned his brother is to be avoided at all costs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Am I correct in thinking that Patrick Pyott is now the longest serving player in the squad?

Or non player he must be awfully good to get a new deal too many injuries and worries on how he was injured in the Morton game he could well be longest just hope for the chap and the team he gest injury free season and we may see how good he is ♦️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Am I correct in thinking that Patrick Pyott is now the longest serving player in the squad?

And probably fewest appearances, excluding most of the new signings. Quite the paradox

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...