The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I see Joe McKee has been released from QOTS, we made him an offer last season but opted for the championship, wonder if Murray will go back in for him this summer.

Good player just always injured for us. No denying his ability on the ball

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Hands Off Hes Taken GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

😂just depends if he wants to stay full time or not eh

2 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Good player just always injured for us. No denying his ability on the ball

Yeah had a really good season with Dumbarton prior signing for yous, we're in need of a couple centre mids he would certainly fit the bill.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Our twitter says it is "stoked" about our new signing, so talk to me about Eoghan Stokes...

When he arrived, I know one or 2 of the coaching staff thought he looked absolutely dynamite when he rocked up, and his first couple of friendlies looked as if he could have something about him, but he simply disappeared and you can probably count the games he started for us on 1 hand!  Apparently can play anywhere across the middle and up front.

I wish I could tell you more but.......... i genuinely know nothing else!!

5 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

When he arrived, I know one or 2 of the coaching staff thought he looked absolutely dynamite when he rocked up, and his first couple of friendlies looked as if he could have something about him, but he simply disappeared and you can probably count the games he started for us on 1 hand!  Apparently can play anywhere across the middle and up front.

I wish I could tell you more but.......... i genuinely know nothing else!!

Sounds like he didn't quite fit, hopefully things work out better for us. Encouraging if people think the talent is there though. 

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

I see Joe McKee has been released from QOTS, we made him an offer last season but opted for the championship, wonder if Murray will go back in for him this summer.

Would definitely take him. He’d be a good creative option for us in the middle of the park. And having him and Agnew should mean *should* make us effective at set pieces. He also used to play for Dumbarton so fits right in with our current recruitment policy. 

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Our twitter says it is "stoked" about our new signing, so talk to me about Eoghan Stokes...

Barely featured mate, never really got a run in the team obviously wasn't fancied at all. Looked to me as if it was a Stuart Millar signing,  can't remember him playing a minute after he left. 

6 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Barely featured mate, never really got a run in the team obviously wasn't fancied at all. Looked to me as if it was a Stuart Millar signing,  can't remember him playing a minute after he left. 

Cheers. It's slightly encouraging to know that he's not definitely shite, although it's a bit of a wait and see job. I know Faz and Stuart Millar know each other well, wouldn't be surprised if Millar has alerted him to Stokes' availability.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Cheers. It's slightly encouraging to know that he's not definitely shite, although it's a bit of a wait and see job. I know Faz and Stuart Millar know each other well, wouldn't be surprised if Millar has alerted him to Stokes' availability.

I've heard a wee rumour Millar is in at Dumbarton, whether it's an official role i'm not sure

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Eoghan Stokes is genuinely the most anonymous player I’ve ever seen play for Airdrie. Jack McKay is rubbish for instance but at least he puts himself about and you notice his contribution. Stokes played about a dozen for us - admittedly most of these appearances were in the last 10-15 minutes of games that we were already lost - but I don’t think I could tell you one thing he ever did in a diamond. I don’t remember him ever having a shot, creating chances or even just getting involved in games. I also couldn’t tell you what his best position is other than it being vaguely attacking midfield (according to Stokes himself anyway). I don’t think Murray knew what his best position was or how to get the best out of him either as he just used to throw him on anywhere vaguely in attack in desperation when we were chasing a goal. I think his time at Airdrie was as good as over when he started in the League Cup defeat to Edinburgh City and made no positive impression or laid a glove on them at all. 

That being said he has been on the books of some decent clubs so perhaps there is some ability there. Maybe a manager who rates him or knows how to actually utilise him will get a proper tune out of the boy. Personally I am buzzing for him to turn out to be absolutely class and score a hat-trick against us. Also buzzing for you to sign Harlain Mbayo who came from the same agency as Stokes. 

In fairness to Stokes it's hard to judge him from his very limited appearances (although the fact he got nowhere near the team despite the injuries is very telling). When he did play I thought he looked like a player who'd be brilliant in 5 a-sides, but in the reality of lower league senior football was just anonymous and the game passed him by. Be interesting to see how he does with a run of games.