The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Trump said:

Forgive my ignorance, but why would Falkirk not be a better option than Airdrie?

That's not the question anyone is asking.  They're asking why an ambitious young League One player with the potential to play at a higher level would choose to sign for Falkirk.

13 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

That's not the question anyone is asking.  They're asking why an ambitious young League One player with the potential to play at a higher level would choose to sign for Falkirk.

I would be astonished if Falkirk can’t afford to pay higher wages than QoS, Morton or Ayr, if they want to. 

I guess they may see it as a chance to be playing in the Championship next season anyway, only with a winners medal and a healthier bank balance. 

48 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

When Falkirk finished above Hibs in the Championship it didn't automatically make us as attractive to play for because of the league position. They have 3/4x the home support to us, higher payers, more chance to spend high and get it right on the park and of course a far better infrastructure. We absolutely might have another year of failure, which I wouldn't put it past us, but you'd expect it couldn't go anywhere near as bad as last season. With investment into the club from the founder of Orlando City, I expect us to make a better fist of it. Already I feel we are signing far smarter than any of the previous seasons down in this league and we won't be managed by two complete muppets which is a boost. This doesn't mean I think McCann will sign for us, he could go anywhere. Just a reason as to why he may opt for Falkirk if its between us or Airdrie.

There's no denying that Falkirk are a massive club and normally you would see it as a step up coming from Airdrie, but surely Leon would rather move on to a mid table championship team and test himself against the likes of accies, killie etc. He's already proved he can comfortably play in league 1 why spend another season there when there is a good chance Falkirk won't get promoted again.

Guest Peter LaFleur
28 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

There's no denying that Falkirk are a massive club and normally you would see it as a step up coming from Airdrie, but surely Leon would rather move on to a mid table championship team and test himself against the likes of accies, killie etc. He's already proved he can comfortably play in league 1 why spend another season there when there is a good chance Falkirk won't get promoted again.

Agreed. My original post was why he may favour us over you. I’d still suspect he won’t sign for either and will end up in the championship next season.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I guess they may see it as a chance to be playing in the Championship next season anyway, only with a winners medal and a healthier bank balance. 

Except Falkirk have now failed twice to make the step back to the Championship.  There is no guarantee they'll succeed this year either.

If the move is about the size of the wage he'll get then I guess we can ignore all of the "ambition" chat that was attributed to him in the press.

11 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Except Falkirk have now failed twice to make the step back to the Championship.  There is no guarantee they'll succeed this year either.

If the move is about the size of the wage he'll get then I guess we can ignore all of the "ambition" chat that was attributed to him in the press.

Players at this level don’t generally care about “ambition”. If they did, then Kelty, EK and Darvel - to name three - wouldn’t be there.

It’s all a cover for more cash in the pocket and I’m not going to blame them for that.

The talk in the Falkirk thread is that there’s Premiership and Championship teams interested in McCann. The interview he did a month or so ago was pretty adamant that he’d only go somewhere he’ll be playing first-team football so I suppose he could still end up at Falkirk but I hope he ends up in a higher league. He’s been a great player for us over the last two years and I’d much rather he got a chance at a higher level rather than playing against us for one of our rivals.

If he does move to Falkirk then while it’s always disappointing to lose someone to your rivals it’s hard to argue with him joining a bigger club on presumably a higher wage. That’s just how football works, it’s no different to us signing players from Dumbarton because we can offer them a slightly better wage. Even though Falkirk finished below us they’re still a bigger club and playing every week there isn’t any less ambitious than doing the same for Airdrie. I think he’ll end up in the Championship though if there are teams at that level trying to sign him.

1 hour ago, Peter LaFleur said:

When Falkirk finished above Hibs in the Championship it didn't automatically make us as attractive to play for because of the league position. They have 3/4x the home support to us, higher payers, more chance to spend high and get it right on the park and of course a far better infrastructure. We absolutely might have another year of failure, which I wouldn't put it past us, but you'd expect it couldn't go anywhere near as bad as last season. With investment into the club from the founder of Orlando City, I expect us to make a better fist of it. Already I feel we are signing far smarter than any of the previous seasons down in this league and we won't be managed by two complete muppets which is a boost. This doesn't mean I think McCann will sign for us, he could go anywhere. Just a reason as to why he may opt for Falkirk if its between us or Airdrie.

I absolutely see where you are coming from here Peter, I do. And on the face of it, you could be right in regards to getting things right this season and being a better option than us if you’re pitching your cart to a particular promotion horse. However, I just personally see some similarities to how we looked when we started out down here all those seasons back. Not saying you’ll be here as long as we have been, but it is possible you’ll be here for a while yet.

That’s the only reason I’d grudge McCann moving to Falkirk - like I say, if it’s for more money, fair enough - I just think he could get a move higher up than L1.

For what it’s worth, despite all the talk about Premiership/Championship interest in him, I think he will be at Falkirk next season.

10 minutes ago, Mr November said:

The talk in the Falkirk thread is that there’s Premiership and Championship teams interested in McCann. The interview he did a month or so ago was pretty adamant that he’d only go somewhere he’ll be playing first-team football so I suppose he could still end up at Falkirk but I hope he ends up in a higher league. He’s been a great player for us over the last two years and I’d much rather he got a chance at a higher level rather than playing against us for one of our rivals.

If he does move to Falkirk then while it’s always disappointing to lose someone to your rivals it’s hard to argue with him joining a bigger club on presumably a higher wage. That’s just how football works, it’s no different to us signing players from Dumbarton because we can offer them a slightly better wage. Even though Falkirk finished below us they’re still a bigger club and playing every week there isn’t any less ambitious than doing the same for Airdrie. I think he’ll end up in the Championship though if there are teams at that level trying to sign him.

If it's about money, I'm sure we could sign 1 fewer dud who will get released in a season and spend it on retaining McCann instead.

12 hours ago, G_H said:

I'm sure the 3 signings so far from a mid table team in our division, whom we finished above last season, and relegation fodder are definitely the guys to carry us to the championship 🙄

So by your reasoning, any team below us can't have decent players in their squad? Really? 

So we should only recruit players from teams above us? 

Yeah that worked well for falkirk didn't it? Sammon, Telfer, Gomis, etc. really set them on fire..... 

4 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

So by your reasoning, any team below us can't have decent players in their squad? Really? 

So we should only recruit players from teams above us? 

Yeah that worked well for falkirk didn't it? Sammon, Telfer, Gomis, etc. really set them on fire..... 

Did we not sign Andy Ryan from a Forfar side who finished 10th?….

10 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I’m surprised you guys are considering yourselves anywhere near championship contenders. Compared to the Arbroath team that went up a couple years ago, Alloa the year they beat Dumbarton in the playoffs, and the Dumbarton team for the 5 years previous to that. Then you guys are a fair distance away from making that step. 

to be fair to quitongo he’s only 21 and a step into semi full time could really push him on. Wardrop comes from a pretty impressive youth career at Celtic and impressive spells with us in championship prior to his ACL. He’s just not had a decent run at a consistent season since he’s been back fit and is still only 23. 
Frizzel could be magic or infuriating, but killie held on to him longer than they kept hold of Dom Thomas so if he turns out anything like Thomas did if he trains and plays more regularly going semi full time again, then your onto a winner 

You're clearly not an Airdrie fan as this post is far too positive and sensible. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

3 hours ago, Trump said:

Forgive my ignorance, but why would Falkirk not be a better option than Airdrie?

Oh, where to start....... 

They're  under performing, recruit piss poor managers and players and have been pumped by us for the last 2 seasons. Oh, and Falkirk didn't even make the play offs last season. 

Not to mention McCann himself saying he wanted a crack at the Championship which Falkirk are not in. 

Hope that helps. 👍

As much fun as it is to laugh at falkirk, they are a bigger club than us and also most of the lower championship clubs. There is an argument that mccann would be better served playing for someone like falkirk who generally will dominate games rather than a someone like Morton who will be one of the weaker championship teams. If he does well at someone like falkirk then he could get an even better move from there.

14 minutes ago, Aufc said:

As much fun as it is to laugh at falkirk, they are a bigger club than us and also most of the lower championship clubs. There is an argument that mccann would be better served playing for someone like falkirk who generally will dominate games rather than a someone like Morton who will be one of the weaker championship teams. If he does well at someone like falkirk then he could get an even better move from there.

I've got to agree with this.  I've seen a few posts on this thread giving the impression people will be fairly raging if/when McCann goes to Falkirk. Its never nice when a teams better players leave, especially to someone in the same league but unfortunately that's football, we move on, and so do they.  I actually wouldn't have been surprised to see him go back to Hamilton tbh since they got relegated.