The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Rico will give his all and with the right coaching could be a good player but his defending, especially at crosses, can let him down and more notably (although I concede this could be down to Duffy) he tends to hoof the ball long when simple passes are on. A decent signing but not as good as McCann, not close I'd say. 

Rico would be a massive downgrade on McCann IMO but he is definitely young enough to develop and be coached into a decent enough replacement IMO, even if not quite the star talent that Leon is. What’s Adam Eckersley up to these days? 

6 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

We’re waiting on contracts being accepted for McKay, Currie, Kerr, McCann and Walker is that right?

Pretty sure Walker has agreed to resign, looks as if Leon will be away if Rico signs. Can't see Josh Kerr hanging about if he's another offer

Paul McKay and Euan O’Reilly are away.

I wouldn’t be surprised if McKay ended up at a Championship team, though I don’t think he’s quite ready for that yet. I’m sure his dad will get him in somewhere though.

O’Reilly is a strange one. Murray certainly seemed keen on him and I don’t think he’s done enough to justify a bigger club but fair play to him if he’s found a better deal elsewhere. There’s definitely potential there but he needs a regular run of games somewhere. I suppose that’s possibly why he’s left if Murray wasn’t able to guarantee him that. 

Another two players to replace but neither player is irreplaceable, so not too upset about this. It just makes Murray and Agnew’s recruitment even more important.

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Rico will give his all and with the right coaching could be a good player but his defending, especially at crosses, can let him down and more notably (although I concede this could be down to Duffy) he tends to hoof the ball long when simple passes are on. A decent signing but not as good as McCann, not close I'd say. 

I can’t be as positive as Moonster regarding Quitongo unfortunately. His effort certainly can’t be questioned but I’m not convinced about his ability at all. Defensively he’s fairly solid but his inability to defend the back post in particular when it comes to cross balls is poor. The main issue for me was his distribution and I felt he was chief hoofer in our team, if he does make it into to a decent position to cross the ball the cross rarely finds a man if it manages to beat the first defender. I think in the modern game a full back needs to be able to provide some attacking width but we didn’t really get that with Quitongo. 

He seems like a decent lad and his workrate is good, he gave his all for Dumbarton so I sincerely hope he does well. Perhaps a fresh start and a new manager will do him some good.

I wouldn’t be surprised if McKay ended up at a Championship team, though I don’t think he’s quite ready for that yet. I’m sure his dad will get him in somewhere though.
O’Reilly is a strange one. Murray certainly seemed keen on him and I don’t think he’s done enough to justify a bigger club but fair play to him if he’s found a better deal elsewhere. There’s definitely potential there but he needs a regular run of games somewhere. I suppose that’s possibly why he’s left if Murray wasn’t able to guarantee him that. 
Another two players to replace but neither player is irreplaceable, so not too upset about this. It just makes Murray and Agnew’s recruitment even more important.

Sorry but if we want to improve then we need better players than them. Mckay was very average. He had the long throw but he generally just kicked the ball in the direction he was facing. I’d be very surprised if he get a a move to a championship team.

O’reilly was also very average. Fairly quick but didn’t show enough. Lacked the tactical awareness to add much to the team.

23 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

"Gutted about how the season ended but I hope next season we can go that step further and I hope to see you all soon." Leon McCann on accepting young player of the year.

Birthday caird p*shhh

Guest Peter LaFleur
34 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

"Gutted about how the season ended but I hope next season we can go that step further and I hope to see you all soon." Leon McCann on accepting young player of the year.

I'm sure he will see you all at least 4 times next season.

38 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Kyle Hutton said similar when he won our POTY last year. He signed for East Kilbride a week later. 

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Aye maybe if we draw his Championship mob in both cups then meet them in the playoffs.

I've heard he's off to Falkirk. Worst kept secret of late as I've heard it from a few different sources. Could be nonsense of course but let's wait and see. 

As for our signings, it's very early days so cannot make judgements. Agnew and Watson seem solid enough. Quitongo seems distinctly possible if/when McCann goes. 

Lots of movement to come and hopefully some decent surprises in amongst them. ♦️

8 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I've heard he's off to Falkirk.

That's disappointing.  Given his ambition and ability you would have thought he would see a move to Airdrie's whipping boys as a retrograde step.

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

Best news non signing news to date and i will be shocked if any of them move up a league. Reasonably fit athletic guys but no ability.

41 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I've heard he's off to Falkirk. Worst kept secret of late as I've heard it from a few different sources. Could be nonsense of course but let's wait and see. 

As for our signings, it's very early days so cannot make judgements. Agnew and Watson seem solid enough. Quitongo seems distinctly possible if/when McCann goes. 

Lots of movement to come and hopefully some decent surprises in amongst them. ♦️

Slightly surprised at that since they've kept on Paul Dixon but I suppose he is getting on. Falkirk probably think we've got a team full of superstars since we always give them a doing, maybe they'll be after a few of ours.

3 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

don't know why, but i've got a funny feeling Paul McKay may also end up at Falkirk.

Good chance, had a trial there before he came to us a couple of years ago