The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

11 hours ago, Ballboy said:

I Welcome the guy to our club.   Good experience in this league and possibly an upgrade on guys like mbayo as more likely to push for a place.   Just depends if the manager tries to play him in midfield like he has others.    Will have to see who else signs up.   Not exactly what I was expecting for a push to win the league to be fair I'll give him a chance.   Can't be worse than some we have had.   Even if it's cover for rb/cb  cant be worse than jack mckay playing there. 

He will be better than Walker  or Ritchie , and as good a professional as any in this league, back up for this player or that player, your having a laugh, watch the Morton game again  you will see  what I mean, 

Assuming every player not yet released is staying then our team at the moment is something like

Currie

Watson Kerr Fordyce

Walker McKay Agnew McCann

O'Reilly Gallagher Robert

Ritchie and Pyott on the bench as well of course. Expect we'll sign a right back and that's our defence sorted. Still a lot of work needing done in midfield and attack but hopefully we'll be hearing more soon.

Glad to see that we are signing a ball playing defender of Watson's height and physique. The Morton game as has been said, really showed up our teams lack of height and  aggression in key areas of the park. In todays game, in my opinion, a team cannot progress with lightweight or small players and compete at Championship and above. The Morton game was a wake up for players like Robert and a few others as they were physically dominated (legally or illegally) throughout the entire game. Morton have survived in their league for so long by being the big physical 'ugly' side who can scrape draws in matches.

I'm not saying we should aspire to this but it surely could't have gone un-noticed.

Turner for me was more than comfortable at that level due to his upper body strength and undoubted stamina and skill. It was his leadership on the park however which really showed us what we have been missing for years. He wasn't afraid to call out team mates and was constantly on their case throughout the whole game. In the few games he played it showed how this influence can drive a seventh placed team 'onwards and upwards'.

Although we scored almost more than anyone last season I feel that we will not be contenders next year until we find a loanee like Declan McManus or a natural finisher like Megginson.

I know this is the hardest part of the team to fill but surely we could look to use money in that diection, rather than keeping the number of 'bench fillers' we had last season.

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

He will be better than Walker  or Ritchie , and as good a professional as any in this league, back up for this player or that player, your having a laugh, watch the Morton game again  you will see  what I mean, 

Having a laugh at what?.    I was just saying I'd give the guy a chance.    If he is an every week starter then good luck to him.  We still have to sign quite a few players for upcoming season.   Watching the morton game won't show how this season is going to be.  A few seasons past we signed page and everyone thought he was a good signing but turned out to be pish.   Nobody bothered about signing Hutton as gk and fans from other clubs were quick to say he was poor and went on to get POTY.   Will see who else we sign then I'll judge from there. 

1 hour ago, Ballboy said:

Having a laugh at what?.    I was just saying I'd give the guy a chance.    If he is an every week starter then good luck to him.  We still have to sign quite a few players for upcoming season.   Watching the morton game won't show how this season is going to be.  A few seasons past we signed page and everyone thought he was a good signing but turned out to be pish.   Nobody bothered about signing Hutton as gk and fans from other clubs were quick to say he was poor and went on to get POTY.   Will see who else we sign then I'll judge from there. 

No watching the Morton game  shows what we are lacking, 

Watson hasn't been signed as a backup. It was felt we went long too often last season. They wanted to address that by signing a defender who is more comfortable on the ball and will play out from the back. 

Our next signing is likely to be a young winger. Agnew rates him as one of the best players he played against last season. Having a wee nosey on his current clubs thread their fans seem to have mixed reviews on him but Murray and Agnew both seem to think he should be playing at a higher level.

No doubt all usual suspects in our support will have him wrote off before he kicks a ball. lol 

Edited by Tory Boy

12 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

No watching the Morton game  shows what we are lacking, 

Yes.  From last season where the target was reach the play offs.   Morton games showed squad weren't able to compete with a poor championship team but we were missing a few in each game who would have started those games.   

Now it's about upcoming season.    If serious about winning the league we need better than what we had last year.    Like I said we need to see who stays first then improve on what we had last season.  

5 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Assuming every player not yet released is staying then our team at the moment is something like

Currie

Watson Kerr Fordyce

Ritchie and Pyott on the bench as well of course. Expect we'll sign a right back and that's our defence sorted. Still a lot of work needing done in midfield and attack but hopefully we'll be hearing more soon.

Do you think another year with us would help Roberts, He does seem to have the talent, and a run in the team to toughen him up and really get used to Scottish football would add a lot of  value to team and to him, 

6 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Currie

Watson Kerr Fordyce

Robert has been sent back to France won't be back 

7 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Currie

Watson Kerr Fordyce

Of course you are assuming that all the players you mention will accept new terms. I would expect Currie, Kerr, Fordyce & McCann may attract interest from elsewhere, the rest probably not.

5 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Our next signing is likely to be a young winger. Agnew rates him as one of the best players he played against last season. Having a wee nosey on his current clubs thread their fans seem to have mixed reviews on him but Murray and Agnew both seem to think he should be playing at a higher level.

Assuming that Agnew played only against L1 sides , as did the Diamonds, I am a bit lost as to who this young winger may be , or indeed his current club, but I eagerly await more developments.

10 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Assuming that Agnew played only against L1 sides , as did the Diamonds, I am a bit lost as to who this young winger may be , or indeed his current club, but I eagerly await more developments.

The only wingers that spring to mind if we are picking from available League 1 clubs could be Adam Frizzell... Dumbarton or Daniel Scally,  Forfar. I don't think either would pacify the baying hoardes  on the Facebook page though....

Just now, Passionate said:

The only wingers that spring to mind if we are picking from available League 1 clubs could be Adam Frizzell... Dumbarton or Daniel Scally,  Forfar. I don't think either would pacify the baying hoardes  on the Facebook page though....

They certainly don't feature in my memories of streamed TV. I have yet to check out FB today but I think it might be "hordes" unless they are being "hoarded" up for collective postings. Sorry I don't mean to be a spellcheck!

55 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Adam Frizzell and Robbie Leitch were the first names I thought of. Of those I’d prefer Frizzell but as you say, neither will be exciting enough for the facebook mob.

Interesting that the Queen of the South fan who mentions Kerr going to them says they were also in for Craig Watson. It could be that our part-time wage alongside his day job works out better than Queens full-time wage or perhaps more chance of regular football but either way, it’s good we’re able to compete with sides in the league above for players if it’s true.

Kerr would be a massive loss but I can understand him wanting to test himself at a higher level. He hasn’t played that many games at centre back for us but when he has he’s looked excellent since coming back into the team against Clyde just before the season finished last year. I think he’s definitely capable of playing in the Championship, it’s just unfortunate we weren’t able to make it through the play-offs to have a better chance of keeping players like him.

6 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Gather he was decent for yous?

Pretty much all you would want in a modern centre black, for some reason we played him defensive mid for half the season and did ok there as well,  definitely better as a defender...