The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

My overriding feeling is that we made it to the play offs through the players hard work and commitment. As far as online tv coverage allowed, we weren’t a better ‘footballing’ team than Thistle, Cove, East Fife, Montrose or even Falkirk. 
TBH, I’d rather we had a team that played better/more watchable football and earn our promotion out of this dreadful league. 
 I’m not sure if we have the players capable of controlling the ball, playing a decent pass or finding a position to receive a pass - the things that the other 5 teams I mentioned were able to do much better than us.

Wait till new season Murray will use attacking midfielders, he has seen how effective it can be, strengthens at a team all round, 

1 hour ago, Spanish Armada said:

I heard today that we're in for goodwillie?

Anyone heard the same rumour?

Not heard anything,   Best striker in the league by a country mile,  would very much doubt he would be signing for various reasons, main one being he is under contract at Clyde.

What position does Robert play? We've got Alan Forrest and Cristian Montano at LW, Josh Mullin at RW and Pittman CAM so I can't exactly see anywhere he'd fit in. Even at ST we've got Gavin Reilly, Jack Hamilton and Bruce Anderson. Had a look and seen Transfermarkt has him down as a RW, so possibly he'd provide cover for Josh Mullin and come off the bench?

I've seen a few talking about a fee, and some saying pre-contract too? If it's a pre, then we'll sign him and loan him out to Arbroath or someone. I really can't see us paying anything above 20k + 10% sell on for him, given we paid a fee for Bruce Anderson. Depends whether Airdrie really feel that's worth it but is he really good enough to succeed for us given we rely heavily on players contributing defensively as much as offensively?

Edited by ATLIS

8 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

I was also told he's ready to walk at clyde

I would be surprised. He was on the club podcast a couple of weeks ago saying he wants to play until he’s 40 but even then would stay at Clyde if he could be the guy who picks up the balls and cones. Not saying it’s impossible but there would have had to have been a hell of a breakdown since then!

14 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

What we need is 5 (at least) new signings who walk straight in to our starting eleven. Not squad players. 

Agree but we still need a squad. If the players I've said can be kept on for the squad were to be kept on at the expense of new first team players I wouldn't be happy. If we bring in like you say five first team players then I'd be happy for someone like O'Reilly to be part of the bigger squad.

11 hours ago, ATLIS said:

What position does Robert play? We've got Alan Forrest and Cristian Montano at LW, Josh Mullin at RW and Pittman CAM so I can't exactly see anywhere he'd fit in. Even at ST we've got Gavin Reilly, Jack Hamilton and Bruce Anderson. Had a look and seen Transfermarkt has him down as a RW, so possibly he'd provide cover for Josh Mullin and come off the bench?

I've seen a few talking about a fee, and some saying pre-contract too? If it's a pre, then we'll sign him and loan him out to Arbroath or someone. I really can't see us paying anything above 20k + 10% sell on for him, given we paid a fee for Bruce Anderson. Depends whether Airdrie really feel that's worth it but is he really good enough to succeed for us given we rely heavily on players contributing defensively as much as offensively?

Stuart Millar said in January that he was on a "long-term" contract so if that's true then a pre-contract isn't happening. He doesn't really stick to a position tbh he roams across the attacking midfield area of the pitch which is maybe not ideal given he's not good enough yet for Airdrie to build a team around, never mind Livi. I'd personally say he looks best on the left wing cutting inside and I think that's where he prefers to be. Can't see him being ready for Premiership football next season at all given that he's hardly started for us since new year. When he loses the ball himself he works hard to win it back but other than that I'd say you wouldn't get much defensive contribution from him. Technically he is good, and we've seen that with some of his goals and assists this season but he is quite lightweight and struggles when properly marked or up against a more physical side.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Stuart Millar said in January that he was on a "long-term" contract so if that's true then a pre-contract isn't happening. He doesn't really stick to a position tbh he roams across the attacking midfield area of the pitch which is maybe not ideal given he's not good enough yet for Airdrie to build a team around, never mind Livi. I'd personally say he looks best on the left wing cutting inside and I think that's where he prefers to be. Can't see him being ready for Premiership football next season at all given that he's hardly started for us since new year. When he loses the ball himself he works hard to win it back but other than that I'd say you wouldn't get much defensive contribution from him. Technically he is good, and we've seen that with some of his goals and assists this season but he is quite lightweight and struggles when properly marked or up against a more physical side.

His contract ain't up Till next season 

Assuming he's not under contract, I reckon we actually have a good chance of keeping Paton. If he fancies it and feels up to it, another season in League 1 is surely more attractive than playing for a kiddy-on club in the Lowland League? I'm a bit concerned that he picked up two seemingly bad injuries in a short space of time but the amount of football played can't have helped with that. I'd definitely be throwing a deal  his way and using most of the budget to sign 3-4 other quality midfielders. We'll need another holding mid alongside Paton and 2-3 box-to-box or attacking midfielders. Sabatini and Turner will obviously be away and I'd let Ritchie go too. I said all season I didn't know what he brought to the team and not being trusted to play in the play-off final is a sure-sign that he isn't good enough. 

I'd actually be happy to go with all the defenders we already have on the books (bar Mbayo obviously). If you include Kyle MacDonald, bar the short spell of Jack McKay playing there, our starting back 4/5 has played virtually every game the last two seasons and done a decent job. Crighton hasn't had a great season but I'd still keep him. I'd definitely be playing Kerr and Fordyce, and even McKay, ahead of him these days but he's an experienced player, a great ambassador, captain and personality around the club and still a capable centre-half at this level. I'm not sure you'd get a better third or fourth choice centre-half at this level really. I'd be happy for Walker to have a go as starting right-back/wing-back next season. I wouldn't say no to an upgrade there I guess but I thought he was perfectly capable in that position and will, presumably, only get better with more game time. If there's an upgrade available fair enough but like I said above, I'd much prefer we prioritised signing a high quality midfield than an 'okay' midfield and a decent right-back. 

I really like Gallagher and Carrick and I hope they both stick around. Gallagher is a decent goalscorer at this level and Carrick, while not a natural goalscorer, still tucks a decent amount away and he's an excellent footballer also. I think Murray did him a disservice playing him at wing-back and centre mid after the re-start. But I think we could do with an upgrade upfront as well, something we haven't really had the last two seasons. Even another player who could get you 10-15 goals a season would make a big difference. I wouldn't mind seeing Connell back but Roy and Jack McKay need to go play at a level where they can make a positive difference. Possibly a bit harsh on Roy as I think there's a player in there somewhere but, like I said earlier, he needs to go to a club where he's going to play every week and be given the time to find a bit of form and confidence which I don't think we're in a position to give him. I sincerely hope he has a good career though and Jack McKay also. My living room will never scenes like that Cove goal again! But I really hope we don't sign him again... 

Hopefully we'll retain Currie. I'm not bothered if the sub goalkeeper is Murdoch, McNeil, another youngster or an experienced player. Sign up a good midfield then see what's available. 

I like Robert but we'd be daft not to cash in and that's presumably been the plan all along. 

I said previously that Thomson and O'Reilly are mediocre League 1 players and we should be looking to do better. I still think that but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them stick around and I wouldn't be overly bothered by it either. Thomson has probably had a better output this season, and is less injury prone than O'Reilly. But O'Reilly is younger so potentially still has a higher upside than Thomson. I'd be happy to enough to keep one of them as a squad player but no more than that and certainly not both of them. 

I actually wouldn't mind keeping Burke, Moore and Hughes around to pad out the squad for full-time training. That's, presumably, what they're there for and I feel that's probably quite important to allow proper training sessions to take place. They're all young enough still also to potentially develop. Pyott's 22 now though I think so needs to go somewhere where he's going to play regular football. 

I think a squad of something like: 

Currie 

McKay Fordyce Kerr 

Paton 

Walker New CM New CM McCann 

Gallagher New FW 

Subs: Crighton, New CM, Thomson/O'Reilly, Carrick, GK, New Attacking Mid/winger, Connell/new FW 

Would be more than capable of doing well. Another important investment has to be getting Murray a proper assistant manager! 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Assuming he's not under contract, I reckon we actually have a good chance of keeping Paton. If he fancies it and feels up to it, another season in League 1 is surely more attractive than playing for a kiddy-on club in the Lowland League? I'm a bit concerned that he picked up two seemingly bad injuries in a short space of time but the amount of football played can't have helped with that. I'd definitely be throwing a deal  his way and using most of the budget to sign 3-4 other quality midfielders. We'll need another holding mid alongside Paton and 2-3 box-to-box or attacking midfielders. Sabatini and Turner will obviously be away and I'd let Ritchie go too. I said all season I didn't know what he brought to the team and not being trusted to play in the play-off final is a sure-sign that he isn't good enough. 

I'd actually be happy to go with all the defenders we already have on the books (bar Mbayo obviously). If you include Kyle MacDonald, bar the short spell of Jack McKay playing there, our starting back 4/5 has played virtually every game the last two seasons and done a decent job. Crighton hasn't had a great season but I'd still keep him. I'd definitely be playing Kerr and Fordyce, and even McKay, ahead of him these days but he's an experienced player, a great ambassador, captain and personality around the club and still a capable centre-half at this level. I'm not sure you'd get a better third or fourth choice centre-half at this level really. I'd be happy for Walker to have a go as starting right-back/wing-back next season. I wouldn't say no to an upgrade there I guess but I thought he was perfectly capable in that position and will, presumably, only get better with more game time. If there's an upgrade available fair enough but like I said above, I'd much prefer we prioritised signing a high quality midfield than an 'okay' midfield and a decent right-back. 

I really like Gallagher and Carrick and I hope they both stick around. Gallagher is a decent goalscorer at this level and Carrick, while not a natural goalscorer, still tucks a decent amount away and he's an excellent footballer also. I think Murray did him a disservice playing him at wing-back and centre mid after the re-start. But I think we could do with an upgrade upfront as well, something we haven't really had the last two seasons. Even another player who could get you 10-15 goals a season would make a big difference. I wouldn't mind seeing Connell back but Roy and Jack McKay need to go play at a level where they can make a positive difference. Possibly a bit harsh on Roy as I think there's a player in there somewhere but, like I said earlier, he needs to go to a club where he's going to play every week and be given the time to find a bit of form and confidence which I don't think we're in a position to give him. I sincerely hope he has a good career though and Jack McKay also. My living room will never scenes like that Cove goal again! But I really hope we don't sign him again... 

Hopefully we'll retain Currie. I'm not bothered if the sub goalkeeper is Murdoch, McNeil, another youngster or an experienced player. Sign up a good midfield then see what's available. 

I like Robert but we'd be daft not to cash in and that's presumably been the plan all along. 

I said previously that Thomson and O'Reilly are mediocre League 1 players and we should be looking to do better. I still think that but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them stick around and I wouldn't be overly bothered by it either. Thomson has probably had a better output this season, and is less injury prone than O'Reilly. But O'Reilly is younger so potentially still has a higher upside than Thomson. I'd be happy to enough to keep one of them as a squad player but no more than that and certainly not both of them. 

I actually wouldn't mind keeping Burke, Moore and Hughes around to pad out the squad for full-time training. That's, presumably, what they're there for and I feel that's probably quite important to allow proper training sessions to take place. They're all young enough still also to potentially develop. Pyott's 22 now though I think so needs to go somewhere where he's going to play regular football. 

I think a squad of something like: 

Currie 

McKay Fordyce Kerr 

Paton 

Walker New CM New CM McCann 

Gallagher New FW 

Subs: Crighton, New CM, Thomson/O'Reilly, Carrick, GK, New Attacking Mid/winger, Connell/new FW 

Would be more than capable of doing well. Another important investment has to be getting Murray a proper assistant manager! 

Would hope any new signing's will command a starting place, and in their proper positions or we will be back to square one, 

4 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

3 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

His contract ain't up Till next season 

I really can't see us paying a fee other than something nominal to secure a sell on % for you. A lot of Airdrie fans want to 'cash in' on him which isn't something Livi tend to be a part of on the incoming side. Based on that I'd say the rumours of him to Livi are paper talk nonsense but I'm not ITK so who knows. The only spot we'd really have open is RW backup and we're certainly not the club to give someone a free role to roam. 

48 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I really can't see us paying a fee other than something nominal to secure a sell on % for you. A lot of Airdrie fans want to 'cash in' on him which isn't something Livi tend to be a part of on the incoming side. Based on that I'd say the rumours of him to Livi are paper talk nonsense but I'm not ITK so who knows. The only spot we'd really have open is RW backup and we're certainly not the club to give someone a free role to roam. 

Wherever he goes it’s going to be for a nominal fee. But that nominal fee is probably worth more to us than Robert if it helps us sign a couple of decent players so that’s probably why most fans are keen to get whatever cash we can for him. 

Whether it’s Livi or not, I’d be surprised if his next move hasn’t been worked out for months. Given how stage managed its largely been I wouldn’t be surprised if his next ‘bigger’ move and the nominal fee + add ons were worked out before he even signed for us.