The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

As disappointed as I was with the performance over the two playoff final games, I really don’t think we should be getting too hung up on that aspect of things - we’ve just played a ridiculous amount of games in a short period of time, which has led to a collection of injuries we didn’t have the quality to contend with. It’s been two games too many and while no one is saying the performances couldn’t have been better, it’s hardly surprising to me that they panned out that way, given the schedule.

I’m not re-entering the debate about the manager, as you just need to scroll back a page or two for my views - but he will be here next season in my view and that is absolutely the right call. We’ve now finished 5th, 3rd and 2nd in his time in charge, so there has been clear progress there. Besides, look at the teams looking for managers right now and look at the candidates - I genuinely wouldn’t touch any of them with a barge pole. Anyone that thinks we can do better at the moment are deluding themselves and would be in for a rude awakening if they got their wish.

That said, the squad does need some surgery if we’re to progress again next season and so, I hope the manager is given the backing to do just that.

For what it’s worth, here’s my take on the squad...

Keep - Currie, Crighton, Fordyce, Kerr, McCann, Walker, P.McKay, Turner, Thomson, Carrick, Gallagher 

Release - McNeill, Murdoch, Burke, Mbayo, Moore, O’Reilly, Paton, Ritchie, Robert, Sabatini, Stokes, Connell, Hughes, Pyott, J.McKay, Roy

I’d be tempted not to have a full-scale clearout - remember, this side finished 2nd in the league and clearly fought for each other and the manager. You don’t want to lose that fighting spirit or mentality, you just want to augment that with more quality.

I’d like to see us go with a smaller squad with a bit more experience and quality over quantity. That said, I reckon we need...

GK (older, more experienced as backup/competition), RB, CB, LM, RM, CMx2, STx2.

The right players in those positions would allow us to play a simple, effective system and combined with how hard working and organised we have been under Murray, I think that could be a winning formula.

In all honesty, I don’t think the league looks anywhere near as tough next year as it has been in recent seasons. Now, don’t get me wrong, it’ll still be tough - we’ve been here long enough to know it’s always tough. However, I genuinely think the quality will be down on the last couple of seasons.

The main thing now is to strap in and enjoy the summer months with new signings, new strips and the optimism of the new season!

Genuinely believe we’re heading in the right direction - ‘Mon the Diamonds! ♦️

Edited by thediamonddude

Reflections on the game.

After the bad vibes of the last two games, especially given the highs that we got from the Cove late win, I had to wait overnight to reflect. A good walk around Strathclyde Park cleared away some of the bad thoughts but the disappointment still lingers.

The two Morton games took us back to an absence of control in the middle of the park, and with little attacking flair. Yes Morton were physical and mobile but I don’t know if we had watched how they played. Stephen McGinn in midfield was obviously equal to Kyle turner and was better supported with other real midfield guys. Morton played a solid 4-4-4 while we footered about with wingers in the middle. Yes we had injuries before and during the games which stopped any progress, and broke up what had been a solid back 3. I felt we should have matched up with their shape in the first game, and we might have gained a win.

Last night was never going to do much with the same weakness in midfield: I have not been convinced by O’Reilly as a winger and having been out injured I found it amazing that he was again given a key role. Having Jack McKay in as our right wing back also puzzled me, and it was clear that our right hand side was being targeted and exposed Crichton in a back 3. Jack’s pass was taken great advantage by Muirhead and it was a cracking goal. Goals were not coming from our woeful attempts to get something from dead ball chances. I was disappointed to see Turner fail to get the ball in to dangerous areas. The 2nd goal killed it and although the players did work hard some of our basic control was sadly laughable as summed up by Thomson near the end.

The third was painful to watch but I was glad it was not a heavier defeat.

On the night I give credit to Fordyce and McCann but that’s it and it looked as if they were running on empty. It’s all a matter of opinion but another season in the Seaside Leagues holds no great thrill. I will back the club but a rebuild with or without Ian Murray is desperately needed if we are to get fans to back a team hopefully back in the ground.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

In fairness to Robert, he completely did his man and fired a ball across the goal mouth in the second half, which was the only genuine sense of danger at our end in last night's match.

A sand-dancer for the rest of the game, but if I were Livingston then I'd be taking the gamble that they can develop him like they did Dykes and other jobbers from the lower leagues. He'll always catch the attention of bigger clubs with the publicity bandwagon attached to him, so if Livingston got a tune out of him for a few games in the Premiership an English Championship/League One club would be daft enough to throw six figures at them for a transfer. 

14 hours ago, Afro said:

Thomas Robert, then? Bit of chat he is heading our way.

Watched the last 30 minutes of the game tonight. Can't say I was overly impressed by Robert despite everything seeming to be going through him, but Morton were absolutely riding you at that point so maybe not the best time to judge his ability.

Is he any good?

I like Robert. You can see from his touch how naturally skilful and talented he is. We’ve seen that manifest into some brilliant pieces of play this season. Scoring direct from a corner, finishing off and scoring a tiki taka goal against Forfar, scoring a curling long-ranger against Cove and an exquisite through-ball to Dale Carrick to score against Clyde. The sort of stuff you don’t see at this level. He’s also very raw and we’ve seen that through his decision-making, perhaps more times than his talent has shone through  this season. But I think people forget this is his first season playing any sort of first team football. And he’s doing so in a foreign country during an international pandemic. That can’t be easy. I’d actually have liked to have seen more of him throughout the season but Murray prefers a harder-working sort of player which Robert isn’t. And TBF that’s worked for him pretty much until the play-off final. But last night he was one of only two players in our side showing a bit of ingenuity. And it was his run and cross that set up the first against Cove in the league to secure us second place. He’s also playing in a rubbish team. Put him in a better team with better players and better coaches and I think he could thrive at a decent level. Is Livi the team for that? I don’t think he could go and instantly be a star in Livi’s first team but they do have a track record of turning established lower league players into Premiership standard players. I don’t see why they can’t do the same with Robert really. 

The Diamond Dude:

"For what it’s worth, here’s my take on the squad...

Keep - Currie, Crighton, Fordyce, Kerr, McCann, Walker, P.McKay, Turner, Thomson, Carrick, Gallagher 

Release - McNeill, Murdoch, Burke, Mbayo, Moore, O’Reilly, Paton, Ritchie, Robert, Sabatini, Stokes, Connell, Hughes, Pyott, J.McKay, Roy"

In your first list I would agree but I think Thomson would not be on mine. As you say can't see Turner staying unless it's good money and McCann could have other offers. Crichton as coach ok. On the 2nd have we a clause on Robert and I would grab any money coming. The rest can go as far as I am thinking-was really surprised that Roy got a contract at the end of last season. Of all the so called promising guys of last close season I can't think of one I would keep. Young Pyott might be worthwhile having unless injury prone. Ach well off to watch Cup Final and support the Saints

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

The Diamond Dude:

Release - McNeill, Murdoch, Burke, Mbayo, Moore, O’Reilly, Paton, Ritchie, Robert, Sabatini, Stokes, Connell, Hughes, Pyott, J.McKay, Roy"

In your first list I would agree but I think Thomson would not be on mine. As you say can't see Turner staying unless it's good money and McCann could have other offers. Crichton as coach ok. On the 2nd have we a clause on Robert and I would grab any money coming. The rest can go as far as I am thinking-was really surprised that Roy got a contract at the end of last season. Of all the so called promising guys of last close season I can't think of one I would keep. Young Pyott might be worthwhile having unless injury prone. Ach well off to watch Cup Final and support the Saints

I should have clarified that I would only really keep Thomson as a squad player, as I’ve been impressed with his ability to come off the bench and cause teams problems with his pace. He wouldn’t be a starter for me though. 

Agreed on Robert as well - we need to cash in now. I’m not disputing there’s a player in there, but I’ve just not seen enough to believe he’ll show more than he has at this level - which is wee flashes of brilliance here and there. If we want to win this league, we need better, more consistent players.

On Crighton, I may just be keeping him based on the fact he seems like a nice guy, who’s given great service to the club and would be good to have around the place. Similar to Thomson, I don’t think he’d play often, but could be useful to have as backup/a coach.

I always enjoy this time of season though - waiting to see who you sign and who goes. It’s when your false optimism is at its highest! :)

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

The Diamond Dude:

Of course the first decision to make is on the Manager.

The loan players, Paton, Turner, Sabatini, Connell & Jack Mackay will all be gone with probably only Connell returning, Only Currie, Kerr & Fordyce to stay for me. McCann to me is a decent league 1 player but his limitations were exposed in the 2 Morton games.

22 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

The loan players, Paton, Turner, Sabatini, Connell & Jack Mackay will all be gone with probably only Connell returning, Only Currie, Kerr & Fordyce to stay for me. McCann to me is a decent league 1 player but his limitations were exposed in the 2 Morton games.

You are right about that decision. I will bide my time to think about as I have not really been a fan of his style over the period here, but there have been so many strange scenarios over that time , that I don't want to jump to a spur of the moment view. Hard to disagree with your retentions and McCann is still young so who knows. I also was delighted to see the saints win and speaking of left backs it was good to see  a player I have always liked, Callum Booth pick up another medal after his journey through various clubs in Scotland. 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Pity we can't tempt Turner, would likely get Paton as they are best buddies, 

19 hours ago, airdrieman said:

No complaints about Morton winning. They were by far the better team over the piece. But the way we lost that was an embarrassment. A completely unnecessary shambles from Murray. No excuse to have so many players out of position and to be such a disorganised rabble. 

The day after the night before, the fat lady has sung her heart out and now getting tucked into a couple of rolls of square...

Now is decision time on players and staff...

Staff.....  Murray , and his coaches Prunty, Crighton I expect to remain,  we are possibly at the club's ceiling unless major funding is injected...    Status quo for one more year..

Gk

Currie...    Steady enough , poor last night.    Keep

McNeill.....  Loan ended, back to Berwick.

Def

Walker....   Pressed into action through necessity,  keep but need starting right back

McCann.......  Early season was poor,  when played at wing back was much better.... Keep although apparently has offers from championship

Kerr...... One of the players with a touch of class, must play centre Half,  Keep. Think he will have better offers

Crighton......  Was found out this season, good leader,    Keep as backup and coach

Fordyce......  Steady as they come...Keep

p McKay.......   The name fans love to hate,  not nearly as bad as keyboard warriors make out...Keep wouldn't be surprised if he gets picked up championship club.

Mbayo.......   Complete bombscare, in his limited minutes of action..  Bizarre signing..  Gone if not already

Mid

Thomson...    Hasn't improved in 2 seasons, moments of magic, overall poor player, I would cut loose.....  Would imagine he would be kept(cheap option)

Turner.....   Great player,  Good luck and thanks

Paton......  As important as Turner in a different role,  would offer a deal apparently a player coach at EK

Sabatini......Will be gone, in my opinion just a water carrier (great you tube clips)

Ritchie......  Miles behind the ability of Paton and Turner,  squad man at best..  Keep as token project player

Robert......  As said before a sand dancer, will be gone hopefully get some money for him,  

Stokes......  Another bizarre signing by Stuart Millar,  looked skilful enough but lacked interest and effort....  Will be gone

For.....

Carrick.....Good player on his day,  legs on the way out, struggled to do the 90,  Keep, use him sparingly to get best out of him perhaps....

Roy.....  Not a fan, lacks heart can score goals lacks consistency and general game awareness,   I would let him go,   Think he will be kept (cheap option)

Gallagher......   Gal is a decent goalscorer , hold up play is either topclass or totally brutal...  Keep won't be surprised if he has offers.....There are no goalscorer s around...

Connell......  Missed him badly, when injured, Good promising player,   On loan back to killie

J McKay......   Scored the crucial goal against cove,    Good luck to him,   Loan return to Chesterfield

Pyott...... Highly rated,  had 2_bad knee injuries at a young age,   would imagine Keep( reason unknown)

Burke......Pointless signing, even the R overs sent him back from loan

Moore.......   See above

Hughes.......    Will not get a game for the club, pointless spending a wage...

possible signings in positions of need.....( Not sure of players contract situation)

Wardrop, right back at Dumbarton,   looked decent got bad facial injury , 

Carswell...... Def\Mid....Dumbarton... Always rated him, experienced

Gomis ..Mid...Falkirk...... Good player when he plays us anyway, getting on a bit

Mercer. R back...Falkirk.....struggles at Falkirk very good at East Fife

Cardle..Winger ..Thistle......  Still decent could still do a job and maybe bring on Thomson a bit...

Lyons ..Mid..Thistle......Great player who ripped us apart when playing for Montrose, could be surplus at Thistle..

McKee.....  Mid... Released by QOS a player we looked at a couple of seasons back when playing well at Dumbarton

Agnew....Mid.....  Released by East Fife,  Good player and links up p!ay well

thoughts fellow diamonds

Onwards and upwards

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but that’s an interesting way of phrasing things. Sounds like there’s an element of doubt or at the very least nothing’s been decided by the board either way as of yet. Whatever happens they’ll need to decide whether he’s our man quickly as there’s not that long before things are up and running again. 

I pretty much agree with the general thoughts around who to keep. 

Keep

Max Currie - didn’t have the best start but was excellent during our great form towards the end of the season. He’s still young and seemingly wants to stay part-time, so it makes a lot of sense to keep him around and try to keep a settled defence. 

Scott Walker - struggled in the play-off games but generally did pretty well when he’s played since the restart. I’d definitely be looking to sign a new right back but Walker’s presumably on a fairly low wage so makes sense to keep him around. 

Sean Crighton - had a very poor season and has been a liability at times but I’d still keep him on for another year. Ideally he wouldn’t be starting every week but in a squad that already lacks experience it would be daft to get rid of someone who brings lots of experience at this level and who seems a good guy to have around the club. 

Josh Kerr - had an ok season playing in midfield but he was outstanding playing in defence when he came back from injury. We should be building next seasons team around a defence of Kerr and Fordyce.

Callum Fordyce - probably our best player two years in a row. Very steady and a definite keep. 

Leon McCann - I wonder if his performances in the play-offs might put off any Championship teams who were interested in him. A very good player at this level, he could do with another year at this level before moving up, hopefully with Airdrie!

Paul McKay - despite being very divisive I think he’s had a pretty good season, been very solid as part of the back three since the restart. 

Kyle Turner - No chance of him staying but he’s had a massive impact, probably the best player in League One since he came in. 

Paul Paton - brings a lot of experience and composure to the midfield. Slightly concerned that he picked up two seemingly similar injuries in a short space of time

Craig Thomson - been quite hit and miss since he’s been here but showed he’s a very good impact sub after the restart, setting up big goals against Dumbarton and Cove and scoring the winner against Falkirk. Not good enough to be a regular starter but a good option off the bench. 

Dale Carrick - struggled at times playing deeper in midfield but he’s a very good player at this level and another good goal return this season.

Calum Gallagher - took a while to get going this season but he’s a proven League One goalscorer. 

Kyle Connell - he’ll get a better offer elsewhere but I think he’s out of contact at Kilmarnock, another year of first team football might be a good move for him.

Punt

Reece Murdoch and Andrew McNeil - I’d rather we went for a more experienced backup next season. 

Josh Burke, Joseph Moore, Patrick Pyott, James Hughes - if they haven’t broken through by now we’re better off parting ways. 

Harlain Mbayo - seems like a great guy but from his limited playing time he’s not very good. 

Euan O’Reilly - not sure on this one, I feel he definitely has potential but not good enough yet to start for a team challenging for promotion. Not against keeping him around as backup but not sure we need both him and Thomson. 

Dean Ritchie - again, not too fussed if he sticks around as backup but doesn’t seem ready or good enough to play for a team challenging for promotion. 

Griffin Sabatini - had some excellent performances early on but was also anonymous in plenty of games. He’ll definitely be away but I think he’d have done better in a team more suited to his playing style, he never really seemed to fit in with how we play. 

Thomas Robert - a joy to watch at times earlier in the season but it just hasn’t worked out at all since the restart. Seems a good time to try and get some money for him while he’s under contract. 

Eoghan Stokes - probably our most disappointing signing. Offered absolutely nothing in his limited playing time.

Jack McKay - works hard but not much ability. Not very good in any of the few positions he’s played in. Fair play though, that equaliser against Cove was probably the most I’ve celebrated all season so hard to dislike him too much. 

Ally Roy - had a great pre-season but hasn’t really got going since his return from injury. He definitely had a better season this year than last but seems a good time to part ways. Not too bothered if he sticks around as backup but nothing more than that. 

Defensively we’re not too bad at this level, despite last nights performance. Currie, Kerr, Fordyce and McCann provide a good start, though we might not keep all of them. On top of that we definitely need a new right back, I’d be happy enough with the Sam Wardrop suggestion on the previous page. In midfield we need a bit of an overhaul, needing at least two central midfielders to start as well as a couple of wide players. Most important is a midfielder who can drive forward from midfield. Kurtis Roberts did that quite well last season and while I wasn’t too fussed he was released we never really replaced him. Turner made a huge difference when he came in and while we won’t get anyone as good as him again we really need a similar style of player. I’m fine with Gallagher as our main striker but we really need a better backup than Roy, ideally we’d bring in someone of similar ability if not better than Gallagher who can really challenge him. 

We also really need a proper coaching setup next season. I’m fine with Murray staying on but he needs support, we can’t rely on Crighton who’s still a player and Prunty who isn’t really a coach. We need a proper assistant manager, even if they’re only part-time, just to help out with the coaching and have someone there to challenge Murray where needed.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but that’s an interesting way of phrasing things. Sounds like there’s an element of doubt or at the very least nothing’s been decided by the board either way as of yet. Whatever happens they’ll need to decide whether he’s our man quickly as there’s not that long before things are up and running again. 

Here's a shocker for you all: I'd offer him a 12 month contract with a break clause at the end of december if we arent in or around the top of the table.

Keep

Currie, Walker, P. McKay, Kerr, Fordyce, McCann, Turner, Paton, Ritchie, Connell, Gallagher, O'Reilly, Carrick, Thomson, Robert

Understand there's no way we'll be keeping Turner and both Paton and Connell are unlikely as well. Good chance McCann will be off too. If we can get compensation for Robert it might be worth it but I wouldn't mind having him back. I'm happy to see Walker, Ritchie, Thomson, O'Reilly return as squad players as long as new players brought in are actual improvements to the squad.

Get Rid

Crighton, J. McKay, Sabatini, Stokes, Mbayo, Roy, Pyott, Hughes, Moore, Burke

Crighton is the only one here that I'm maybe being harsh with but I think Fordyce and Kerr are our best centre back pairing and if it's a back three I'd rather have McKay in it than Crighton. I don't think Crighton would be good enough to play for any of our rivals at the top end of League One and therefore shouldn't be good enough to play for us. The rest are fairly self explanatory and I don't think Roy has done enough over his two seasons to warrant being kept. I've missed McNeil and Murdoch out of both lists because we'll obviously need backups to Currie but there's almost zero chance of them ever playing. I don't really care if it's them or a couple of new guys.

What we need

Obviously a lot of this is dependent on who stays and who goes. If (and that's a big if) we keep and get rid of the exact players I've suggested then we'd need a right back, centre mid, attacking midfielder and a striker, as well as maybe another centre back and left back for cover.

More realistically, we won't have Turner, Paton, Connell, McCann, Robert. In this scenario we'd need to bring in a whole new midfield on top of what I've already suggested, as well as replace the others. Clearly the midfield's been our biggest issue going back much earlier than this season, so this should undoubtedly be the priority in terms of recruitment. I'd like to see us sign players similar to Paton and Turner, as I think one highly experienced defensive midfielder and one more technical midfielder makes an ideal partnership.

5 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Keep

Currie, Walker, P. McKay, Kerr, Fordyce, McCann, Turner, Paton, Ritchie, Connell, Gallagher, O'Reilly, Carrick, Thomson, Robert

Understand there's no way we'll be keeping Turner and both Paton and Connell are unlikely as well. Good chance McCann will be off too. If we can get compensation for Robert it might be worth it but I wouldn't mind having him back. I'm happy to see Walker, Ritchie, Thomson, O'Reilly return as squad players as long as new players brought in are actual improvements to the squad.

Get Rid

Crighton, J. McKay, Sabatini, Stokes, Mbayo, Roy, Pyott, Hughes, Moore, Burke

Crighton is the only one here that I'm maybe being harsh with but I think Fordyce and Kerr are our best centre back pairing and if it's a back three I'd rather have McKay in it than Crighton. I don't think Crighton would be good enough to play for any of our rivals at the top end of League One and therefore shouldn't be good enough to play for us. The rest are fairly self explanatory and I don't think Roy has done enough over his two seasons to warrant being kept. I've missed McNeil and Murdoch out of both lists because we'll obviously need backups to Currie but there's almost zero chance of them ever playing. I don't really care if it's them or a couple of new guys.

What we need

Obviously a lot of this is dependent on who stays and who goes. If (and that's a big if) we keep and get rid of the exact players I've suggested then we'd need a right back, centre mid, attacking midfielder and a striker, as well as maybe another centre back and left back for cover.

More realistically, we won't have Turner, Paton, Connell, McCann, Robert. In this scenario we'd need to bring in a whole new midfield on top of what I've already suggested, as well as replace the others. Clearly the midfield's been our biggest issue going back much earlier than this season, so this should undoubtedly be the priority in terms of recruitment. I'd like to see us sign players similar to Paton and Turner, as I think one highly experienced defensive midfielder and one more technical midfielder makes an ideal partnership.

What we need is 5 (at least) new signings who walk straight in to our starting eleven. Not squad players. 

Turner and Paton seemed to be the catalysts for the good run -  what a difference the talented , confident moany wee shite (I mean that in a nicest possible way) Kyle Turner and the established old head of Paul Paton in midfield made. Seemed to give a boost to the others in the team.  Josh Kerr, Max Currie, Gal and Leon McCann  coming onto a game at the same time and Dycey being his usual composed self helped as well.

Injuries and questionable selections meant we didn't do ourselves justice in the final, but what a great last few games - putting Falkirk to the sword and the Cove 2nd leg being highlights for me. 

As for next season  - well Ian Murray  has 3 get out of jail cards - 1st season he inherited a team that wasn't his, 2nd season cut short because of covid-19, 3rd season , ditto covid-19 and possibly a team that "wasn't his"  with the increased involvement of the director of football until his departure in February.

I am guessing that he will be given another season . And at the moment I am ok with that( bearing in mind I am a fickle football fan.)

So, if he does continue, hopefully  his relationship and stature with a few of the important players in the current squad will keep them with us, that he can sign a few impact players that will make a difference like Turner and Paton and finally  he gets himself a strong assistant to work with.

My overriding feeling is that we made it to the play offs through the players hard work and commitment. As far as online tv coverage allowed, we weren’t a better ‘footballing’ team than Thistle, Cove, East Fife, Montrose or even Falkirk. 
TBH, I’d rather we had a team that played better/more watchable football and earn our promotion out of this dreadful league. 
 I’m not sure if we have the players capable of controlling the ball, playing a decent pass or finding a position to receive a pass - the things that the other 5 teams I mentioned were able to do much better than us.

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

My overriding feeling is that we made it to the play offs through the players hard work and commitment. As far as online tv coverage allowed, we weren’t a better ‘footballing’ team than Thistle, Cove, East Fife, Montrose or even Falkirk. 
TBH, I’d rather we had a team that played better/more watchable football and earn our promotion out of this dreadful league. 
 I’m not sure if we have the players capable of controlling the ball, playing a decent pass or finding a position to receive a pass - the things that the other 5 teams I mentioned were able to do much better than us.

It is a quandary as to fans wanting just to win compared to being easy on the eye or even capable of doing what you rightly highlight as our main weakness. I do wonder how we did not seem to have midfield players with a bit of invention who also work hard. I think you are right about the other teams but we still surpassed them at the end of a weird season-if you push me I would do anything to get out of this League with the occasional grinded out win and something else that sends me home wanting to watch the highlights . It's a sair fecht indeed.