Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

This is a brilliant signing. I like MacDonald but Kerr, Fordyce or McKay can all do a job at right back so I’m not too bothered about not bringing him back. We all know midfield is our problem area and Kyle Turner was excellent at this level with Stranraer. I really wanted us to sign him a couple of years ago but not surprised he ended up at a bigger club. He won Championship player of the month as recently as November, so I’m surprised Dunfermline are letting him go but I’m certainly not going to complain.

Brilliant signing. Is he allowed to play on Saturday or are there any Covid restrictions regarding him joining from another club?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Brilliant signing. Is he allowed to play on Saturday or are there any Covid restrictions regarding him joining from another club?

Can we not sign his old man as well, seeing as we have signed up the McKay family,  Tommy liked a 'tackle' 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Joze M said:

Our fixtures are:

(A) Peterhead      
(H) Thistle 
(A) Cove
(A) Dumbarton
(H) Falkirk
(A) Montrose
(H) Forfar 
(H) East Fife

 

I think we've done ok in terms of the fixtures, good to only have one Thursday game, especially against Dumbarton who have a lot of games to play with a very small squad. I'm not convinced a 22 game season will happen but I feel we'll definitely need something from those last two games to confirm play-offs or hopefully more. For most teams having two home games to finish the season would be a good thing but given our record that might actually work against us! I feel much more confident about the rest of the season after today's signing though, feels like exactly what we need.

I'm really interested to see how we line up on Saturday. I'd probably be looking to play something like this

Currie
Fordyce - Crighton - Kerr - McCann
McKay - Turner
Robert - Carrick - Connell
Gallagher

Fordyce did a solid job at right back last season and I'd much rather see Kerr moved back into defence. McKay and Turner would give us good drive in midfield, McKay can sit a bit deeper and Turner can push forward. That front four were excellent against Forfar earlier this season, with the option of moving Connell up and playing a front two if required. I suspect the lineup won't be too far away from this, though I think we'll have McKay at right back and Kerr in midfield. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mr November said:

This is a brilliant signing. I like MacDonald but Kerr, Fordyce or McKay can all do a job at right back so I’m not too bothered about not bringing him back. We all know midfield is our problem area and Kyle Turner was excellent at this level with Stranraer. I really wanted us to sign him a couple of years ago but not surprised he ended up at a bigger club. He won Championship player of the month as recently as November, so I’m surprised Dunfermline are letting him go but I’m certainly not going to complain.

Aye fair fucking play to Murray and the club that is a cracking bit of business. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think we've done ok in terms of the fixtures, good to only have one Thursday game, especially against Dumbarton who have a lot of games to play with a very small squad. I'm not convinced a 22 game season will happen but I feel we'll definitely need something from those last two games to confirm play-offs or hopefully more. For most teams having two home games to finish the season would be a good thing but given our record that might actually work against us! I feel much more confident about the rest of the season after today's signing though, feels like exactly what we need.

I'm really interested to see how we line up on Saturday. I'd probably be looking to play something like this

Currie
Fordyce - Crighton - Kerr - McCann
McKay - Turner
Robert - Carrick - Connell
Gallagher

Fordyce did a solid job at right back last season and I'd much rather see Kerr moved back into defence. McKay and Turner would give us good drive in midfield, McKay can sit a bit deeper and Turner can push forward. That front four were excellent against Forfar earlier this season, with the option of moving Connell up and playing a front two if required. I suspect the lineup won't be too far away from this, though I think we'll have McKay at right back and Kerr in midfield. 

That's, probably, the lineup I would go for as well. It will be interesting to see who Murray goes for at right-back as there's a few different options. Walker would obviously be a direct replacement for MacDonald and if he has any intention of sticking around and playing for the club he'll want to cement his place in the team before a replacement is signed in the summer. Ritchie can play there and Kerr probably can as well? McKay has obviously deputised at right-back before but, while I know this will be unpopular, I much prefer him in midfield and think we can get the most out of his assets there. And while there's certainly arguments for not breaking up the Fordyce and Crighton partnership, I'm desperate for Kerr to move back into the defence (and I think he'll give us a much better out ball from defence also) so anything that allows that I'm all for. If it is McKay at right-back then I would rather Kerr be on the bench as a defence replacement than in the midfield so I'd start Sabatini to partner with Turner in there instead. 

And that absolutely has to be the front 4 and they have to play together as often as possible. I'm still not convinced by any of our attacking replacements, and any injuries to any of them and we could be fucked, but I'm certainly feeling much better about the remainder of the season after today's signing news. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

That's, probably, the lineup I would go for as well. It will be interesting to see who Murray goes for at right-back as there's a few different options. Walker would obviously be a direct replacement for MacDonald and if he has any intention of sticking around and playing for the club he'll want to cement his place in the team before a replacement is signed in the summer. Ritchie can play there and Kerr probably can as well? McKay has obviously deputised at right-back before but, while I know this will be unpopular, I much prefer him in midfield and think we can get the most out of his assets there. And while there's certainly arguments for not breaking up the Fordyce and Crighton partnership, I'm desperate for Kerr to move back into the defence (and I think he'll give us a much better out ball from defence also) so anything that allows that I'm all for. If it is McKay at right-back then I would rather Kerr be on the bench as a defence replacement than in the midfield so I'd start Sabatini to partner with Turner in there instead. 

And that absolutely has to be the front 4 and they have to play together as often as possible. I'm still not convinced by any of our attacking replacements, and any injuries to any of them and we could be fucked, but I'm certainly feeling much better about the remainder of the season after today's signing news. 

Not wanting to burst your bubble about Kerr but i think he’s out injured...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mr November said:

This is a brilliant signing. I like MacDonald but Kerr, Fordyce or McKay can all do a job at right back so I’m not too bothered about not bringing him back. We all know midfield is our problem area and Kyle Turner was excellent at this level with Stranraer. I really wanted us to sign him a couple of years ago but not surprised he ended up at a bigger club. He won Championship player of the month as recently as November, so I’m surprised Dunfermline are letting him go but I’m certainly not going to complain.

This does look promising and he was outstanding in midfield during that Stranraer spell-he has the skill and work rate of a Scott Agnew so a decided improvement for our midfield-as long as Murray plays him in that role. On a longer time scale his Dad Tommy Turner ( I hope i am correct in that)had a hard edge to his game!  Purchased my Saturday PPV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Not wanting to burst your bubble about Kerr but i think he’s out injured...

That's a shame if so. Hope it's nothing too serious or long term. In that case I suspect it will be McKay at right-back and Sabatini and Turner in the middle which I wouldn't be displeased with at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely delighted with that signing, albeit I’m reluctant to give the manager or the club too much credit as it appears it maybe fell into their lap...

The best thing about this signing is that it’ll force Murray to move McKay out of midfield into right back. I liked MacDonald but he shouldn’t be too much of a miss as we’re well covered at right back.

Bring on the remainder of the season!!

I’d like to see us line up on Saturday:

Currie

McKay - Crighton - Fordyce - McCann

Turner - Sabatini

Robert - Carrick - Connell

Gallagher

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I said before I'd go more attacking in our home games.  

                  Currie

McKay- crighton -fordice - McCann 

                   Kerr/sabatini

   Robert -       Turner-     Carrick

              Gallagher- Connell 

2 proper strikers with an attacking midfield.    I'd rather see sabatini in too but with this formation kerr would be given the holding midfield.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ayr Diamond said:

Airdrie's greatest ever manager is 73 today happy birthday Alex McDonald.♦️♦️

And Ian McMillan 90 years old as of half an hour ago! ♦️
 

Speaking of great Airdrie managers and teams, in almost exactly three years time it will be the centenary of our Scottish Cup win. Would be nice to see it celebrated in some way by the club. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/03/2021 at 21:59, Ballboy said:

As I said before I'd go more attacking in our home games.  

                  Currie

McKay- crighton -fordice - McCann 

                   Kerr/sabatini

   Robert -       Turner-     Carrick

              Gallagher- Connell 

2 proper strikers with an attacking midfield.    I'd rather see sabatini in too but with this formation kerr would be given the holding midfield.    

If Kerr is still injured, think Walker would be a good shout at R B, Mckay and Sabatini  in front of back 4, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Kerr is out for the season and is getting surgery. Murray hinted that Jack McKay could play right back

He mentioned that he thought McKay  could play in a number of positions including right full back and wing back  but he didnt hint that he would be playing that position on Saturday or would be first choice.  If he is taking a reduced squad up to Peterhead because of covid restrictions Jack McKay might not even make the bus.

Sad news about Kerr - hopefully we'll see the boy next season.

Anyway, I am just glad to have the Diamonds to watch at the weekend  Hopefully I'll still have my positive head on at 16.45 Saturday evening - truth be told  I'll be probably scratching my head at 14.00 when I see the team selection....

 

Edited by Roger Thornhill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s a real shame for Kerr. I know he’s played just about every game this season but I’m really keen for him to get a proper run at centre-half. He was excellent in the run of games he played there around January/February last season. Will be interesting to see who Murray goes for at right-back. I’d expect it to be McKay (Paul) but wouldn’t be surprised to see Ritchie or Walker feature there. The idea of Jack McKay playing there isn’t initially appealing but it’s certainly a novel way of not playing him upfront/shoe-horning him into the side (cue the conspiracy theorists 😉). 
 

With Falkirk playing Montrose and Cove playing Thistle, Saturday is actually a huge game for us. As disappointing as we’ve been at times this season, this is anyone’s league to win and a run of wins like the one we went on last season could see us right up there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

That’s a real shame for Kerr. I know he’s played just about every game this season but I’m really keen for him to get a proper run at centre-half. He was excellent in the run of games he played there around January/February last season. Will be interesting to see who Murray goes for at right-back. I’d expect it to be McKay (Paul) but wouldn’t be surprised to see Ritchie or Walker feature there. The idea of Jack McKay playing there isn’t initially appealing but it’s certainly a novel way of not playing him upfront/shoe-horning him into the side (cue the conspiracy theorists 😉). 
 

With Falkirk playing Montrose and Cove playing Thistle, Saturday is actually a huge game for us. As disappointing as we’ve been at times this season, this is anyone’s league to win and a run of wins like the one we went on last season could see us right up there. 

Your right it is anyone’s to win this league and I can see Airdrie getting promotion now either by winning league or by playoffs. Think you have a very good squad 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Your right it is anyone’s to win this league and I can see Airdrie getting promotion now either by winning league or by playoffs. Think you have a very good squad 

I’m glad you said it and not me! 
 

I think we have a good starting XI who on their day can and have beat every other side in the league. But I think there are a few caveats to that. 
 

1) I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say there’s a huge gulf in quality between the starting XI and the bench/reserves. Any bad injuries to key players (particularly the attacking 4 of Robert/Carrick/Connell/Gallagher) and we could slide right down the table. 
 

2) I’m unconvinced Ian Murray is the man to lead us to promotion.

 

3) Airdrie are uniquely bad at winning home games and also play-offs. 

But I think, for the first two points especially, with the exception of Stewart Petrie at Montrose, you could say the same about every other side in the division. I also feel much more optimistic about the rest of the season with the signing of Kyle Turner than I did beforehand. And you have to win a fucking play-off some time don’t you? 
 

So, yeah Airdrie could... (nah I’m still not going to say it). But Falkirk, Montrose, Cove or Thistle could just as easily string a few results together and pull away towards the league title or certain play-off victory. Probably won’t be Thistle though... 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...