Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

I can see our season just being cancelled at this rate!

Aye I can't see us returning to play this season out now. I know there's more important things in the world, and that perhaps it makes sense to not have scores of people travelling the length and breadth of the country every weekend, but having the football - even on a laptop or television screen - was still an escape from the drudgery and bleakness of lockdown. It gave your week at least some semblance of a routine and something to look forward to. Shite. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going by the reports of the proposal put forward by L1/L2 sides...clubs wouldn't be back training until the middle of Feb anyway so the two week extended suspension takes us up to that point.

With all the clubs willing to test, there should be no reason why the suspension can't be lifted at that point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It does look like a 27 game season can't be done ( if May is the end? ) and an 18 game season could be possible , but would it be accepted if the Championship does 27.  ( I think it has that limit?). Would the play offs be suspended? Would the winner go up /bottom goes down ? What about L2 etc. I have no idea but a null and void looks just as likely. I do miss the games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like 27 game season will be a big ask given that play now stopped .Realistic may be 18 games season  and play offs/promotion ?.Although the championship is still a full season continuing at present  .Once home and away.I8 game season would leave us  with 8 games and  playing every team  once more apart from Clyde (Already played twice home and away).

Away to Montrose and Cove and Home to Partick and Falkirk four home four away games left if 18 game seson . .Accept that in the good old Broomfield  days Partick and Falkirk would be a wins .Not so sure now given our poor home record

Any thoughts ?

Edited by Diamond Sab
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Diamond Sab said:

It looks like 27 game season will be a big ask given that play now stopped .Realistic may be 18 games season  and play offs/promotion ?.Although the championship is still a full season continuing at present  .Once home and away.I8 game season would leave us  with 8 games and  playing every team  once more apart from Clyde (Already played twice home and away).

Away to Montrose and Cove and Home to Partick and Falkirk four home four away games left if 18 game seson . .Accept that in the good old Broomfield  days Partick and Falkirk would be a wins .Not so sure now given our poor home record

Any thoughts ?

There is a much bigger general discussion elsewhere but for us such a situation might be an impetus to get our home form sorted out:   but that would take some turn around and I can't see it with our defence minded approach.    It would be also EF and Forfar at home, plus Dumbarton / Peterhead away. All these games are tough. That's as much as I can bring myself to think about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

It’s all well and good having a link with an agent if you’re signing talent like Robert more often than not. Even taking a punt on unknown players is fine if you have a mix of some who work out and some who don’t. But McKay is a known quantity. And a pish one at that. I appreciate he was young when he last played for us but he’s 24(?) now with only 3 career goals to his name (according to Wikipedia) so he obviously hasn’t developed as a player or gotten any better. That’s a dreadful return for a striker at any level. His brother who is a defender/midfielder scored more than that last season. Really poor and lazy signing. I did get a laugh from the article though claiming: A) we had anything resembling a decent run of form during that 2016/17 season. And B) Jack McKay contributed to it. I’m pretty sure his only goal was the 4th in a 4-1 win over Peterhead 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Imagine doubting him,he was at airdrie at 19 and played about a handful of games and went away got a bit of experience and he's back to prove himself he may be a better player than before at least give the lad a Chance ffs he can't be any worse than Thomson,O'Reilly and Stokes that gets a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Imagine doubting him,he was at airdrie at 19 and played about a handful of games and went away got a bit of experience and he's back to prove himself he may be a better player than before at least give the lad a Chance ffs he can't be any worse than Thomson,O'Reilly and Stokes that gets a game.

No much hope for the team if we are signing a player that's no any worse than our worst players , he will fit in fine with a lot of our players who are off the same standard as Jack, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Imagine doubting him,he was at airdrie at 19 and played about a handful of games and went away got a bit of experience and he's back to prove himself he may be a better player than before at least give the lad a Chance ffs he can't be any worse than Thomson,O'Reilly and Stokes that gets a game.

Stokes and O’Reilly are hardly regulars though. I’m not convinced we needed another striker, Gallagher hasn’t really got going yet but Connell’s done quite well and Roy is just back from injury. I’d much rather we brought in a midfielder, which is clearly still our biggest issue, than signed a striker who was poor previously and doesn’t seem to have improved since then going by his stats. We could also do without the conspiracy theories when him and his brother both start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Stokes and O’Reilly are hardly regulars though. I’m not convinced we needed another striker, Gallagher hasn’t really got going yet but Connell’s done quite well and Roy is just back from injury. I’d much rather we brought in a midfielder, which is clearly still our biggest issue, than signed a striker who was poor previously and doesn’t seem to have improved since then going by his stats. We could also do without the conspiracy theories when him and his brother both start.

200.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Imagine doubting him,he was at airdrie at 19 and played about a handful of games and went away got a bit of experience and he's back to prove himself he may be a better player than before at least give the lad a Chance ffs he can't be any worse than Thomson,O'Reilly and Stokes that gets a game.

More than happy to give him a chance and I hope he proves us all wrong. The problem though is that he’s 24 now so he should be approaching the prime of his career but he’s barely played or scored since he last played for us, which doesn’t suggest he’s developed into a player who can play at any sort of decent level. Maybe he just needs a run of games somewhere but I think that’s being generous. Being no worse than Thomson, O’Reilly or Stokes is not the barometer we should be using to sign or judge players with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite aside from Jack McKay (who I assume we've signed because his agency decided he needed a club to the end of the season, rather than because he's here to have any meaningful impact on the first team) our recruitment is a mess. We've got the McKay link which has given us Robert - who they've done nothing but oversell in the press since the minute he got here - and a load of dross.

Last year (2019/20) we seemed to have a really clear idea of what we wanted*, I assume with Stuart Millar dealing with all recruitment. The morale in the squad was by all accounts excellent, we had a fairly balanced squad and we gave ourselves a platform to build from. It hasn't happened and we look far more muddled. We seem to have a combination of Millar and the McKay link providing players and a manager who wants to be seen very clearly to be saying he's a head coach not manager. Depressing stuff to have various factions rather than unity and have everyone on the same page.

 

*Not saying we were brilliant by any means, but we had a clear 433, with players in their natural positions and decent cover for each of those positions, particularly from what was effectively a blank slate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

Quite aside from Jack McKay (who I assume we've signed because his agency decided he needed a club to the end of the season, rather than because he's here to have any meaningful impact on the first team) our recruitment is a mess. We've got the McKay link which has given us Robert - who they've done nothing but oversell in the press since the minute he got here - and a load of dross.

Last year (2019/20) we seemed to have a really clear idea of what we wanted*, I assume with Stuart Millar dealing with all recruitment. The morale in the squad was by all accounts excellent, we had a fairly balanced squad and we gave ourselves a platform to build from. It hasn't happened and we look far more muddled. We seem to have a combination of Millar and the McKay link providing players and a manager who wants to be seen very clearly to be saying he's a head coach not manager. Depressing stuff to have various factions rather than unity and have everyone on the same page.

 

*Not saying we were brilliant by any means, but we had a clear 433, with players in their natural positions and decent cover for each of those positions, particularly from what was effectively a blank slate.

We will only  get worse with Millar and Murray, still we have Robert, who scores now and again, hardly set the Heather on fire, after all the hype and excitement  looking forward to all the new signing's at start of season, I really don't think we could have done much worse, omo , now we have added another that was poor last time he was here, has he scored a goal since he left? Centre forward, still we have Roy  he will be our saviour, it's our memories that are wrong, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...