The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I think that’s a move that would suit everyone. There’s no chance Robert will be here next season so getting a transfer fee while we can would be great business for the club and we’ve seen how good a sell-on clause can be with the money Queen of the South got when Lyndon Dykes signed for QPR. 

Robert has been linked to bigger clubs but I suspect he’s more likely to sign for a club like Livingston due to the prospect of playing regularly. It seemed to be a big reason for him somehow ending up at Airdrie, so it would make sense if his next move is to a team who will have in involved in the first team. I just hope fans are allowed back at some point this season so we can all watch him play properly while we have the chance. 

12 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

I may have missed the info but where was Callum Gallagher on Saturday? I don't remember him being listed as injured, all I remember is him coming off during the Falkirk game in a rather unhappy fashion.

The match preview on the website said he was having a late fitness check, so presumably he hadn’t fully recovered from whatever injury he picked up at Falkirk.

8 hours ago, Diamond72 said:

I may have missed the info but where was Callum Gallagher on Saturday? I don't remember him being listed as injured, all I remember is him coming off during the Falkirk game in a rather unhappy fashion.

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

The match preview on the website said he was having a late fitness check, so presumably he hadn’t fully recovered from whatever injury he picked up at Falkirk.

Was it the 5-0 Clyde game he initially picked up a knock in? I don't think he's looked fully fit since then and indeed hasn't scored or really contributed since either. 

Edinburgh City at home in the Scottish Cup, to be played a week on Saturday. In the current circumstances, given that we can't go to games, you probably want as dull a game as possible so that's very pleasing in that respect. Probably the epitome of dull. Winnable too albeit we made a proper hash of it when we played them in the League Cup. 

Edited by airdrieman

On 27/12/2020 at 10:21, waysider said:

Clearly been asleep for a few days and only found out about Hutton leaving in Murray’s post match talk. Is anyone ITK? Did he ask to go because he wasn’t getting a game or was he kicked out for some reason ? I always thought it was a bit strange having two good goalies on the books.

Aye Murray said he'd asked to leave to get regular football. It's a shame to see him go, and I'm sure Hutton will be sorry to be leaving also, but you can't really blame him. 

21 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Hopefully that’s a bit of momentum starting to build now at the right time! Carrick joint top goalscorer I think I seen on Twitter and Kerr took his goal well heard he’s been playing through injuries so fair play to him!

Here's hoping. I said before the Clyde game we need to be getting 9/9 out of our next three fixtures, Clyde, Dumbarton and Peterhead and that's very much achievable. Especially important as our run of games after that is Thistle (H), Cove (A), Falkirk (H) and Montrose (A). Could be a season-defining month or so coming up and need to take as many points as possible from that run also, especially at home IMO. No reason why we can't (though equally we could lose all 4-6). Just need to finally start putting together a consistent run of results. 

20 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Apparently we’re in for Robert in January with the deal including a 6 month loan back and 10% sell on. Same thing we did for Dykes and Forrest 

12 hours ago, Mr November said:

I think that’s a move that would suit everyone. There’s no chance Robert will be here next season so getting a transfer fee while we can would be great business for the club and we’ve seen how good a sell-on clause can be with the money Queen of the South got when Lyndon Dykes signed for QPR. 

Robert has been linked to bigger clubs but I suspect he’s more likely to sign for a club like Livingston due to the prospect of playing regularly. It seemed to be a big reason for him somehow ending up at Airdrie, so it would make sense if his next move is to a team who will have in involved in the first team. I just hope fans are allowed back at some point this season so we can all watch him play properly while we have the chance. 

Aye I completely agree with that. He’s spoken before about how important it is to him that he plays games. I hope he doesn’t go to either of the Old Firm or an academy/reserve side down south where his development will stall. 

Livingston could be a good move for him. They’ve probably been the best club at signing players from the lower leagues and developing them to a standard of playing very well in the top flight so could be a great move for all parties. 

3 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Evan Balfour is the next volunteer for the podcast Ex-Player Interview. Anything you’d all like him to be questioned on?

1 What was like to score that goal against Raith?

2 How did PT as Fireman ( I think) match with FT players

3 Who would he have liked to see Airdrie sign during his time?

4 What  did he think of John Martin's various press photos?

5 Did he have favourite grounds/ horrible grounds?

6 In Player profiles they were always asked their favourite meal-have his tastes changed!

4 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Evan Balfour is the next volunteer for the podcast Ex-Player Interview. Anything you’d all like him to be questioned on?

Thanks for the opportunity. 

Evan played under Jimmy Bone and Alex MacDonald. What were the big managerial differences between Jimmy and Doddie? And can Evan shed any light on why Jimmy left after getting us promotion? 

35 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

1 What was like to score that goal against Raith?

2 How did PT as Fireman ( I think) match with FT players

3 Who would he have liked to see Airdrie sign during his time?

4 What  did he think of John Martin's various press photos?

5 Did he have favourite grounds/ horrible grounds?

6 In Player profiles they were always asked their favourite meal-have his tastes changed!

Chapelhall Chap,

Last game of the season against Raith in May 1991 - think we had to win to get promoted in 2nd place? I know it was close between us and Dundee. Anyway, the longest football game in my life. It seemed to go on forever. But what scenes and jubilation at the final whistle. Did big Evan not score around the first 5 minutes of the game?

20 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Couldn’t really complain with that tbh!

To be fair though the fee would only be something like 10-30k but the obvious implication like with QotS/Dykes is that once he goes the main fee comes from sell on. I think QotS had a 15/20% on Dykes so ended up as a 200k deal. Weirdly enough Dykes broke our transfer fee paid and received in the same day basically

1 hour ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Thanks for the opportunity. 

Evan played under Jimmy Bone and Alex MacDonald. What were the big managerial differences between Jimmy and Doddie? And can Evan shed any light on why Jimmy left after getting us promotion? 

Chapelhall Chap,

Last game of the season against Raith in May 1991 - think we had to win to get promoted in 2nd place? I know it was close between us and Dundee. Anyway, the longest football game in my life. It seemed to go on forever. But what scenes and jubilation at the final whistle. Did big Evan not score around the first 5 minutes of the game?

You are correct and I was in the ground in plenty of time: if memory is correct we were in what is now the home stand behind the goals, but I seem to think it was terracing but I could be wrong. It might even have been 3 minutes and I know there were still fans outside. I would need to look up some of the old OTL in my loft to check a few details.  It was a long wait till we were sure we had finished 2nd and were up. The other occasion i remember such jubilation was when John Butler scored a last minute winner at Somerset. I like your questions but the light being shone on Bone's departure might a bit too "costly" to debate? 

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

May 11th 1991. We were a point ahead of Dundee and had to equal whatever they did. They won 2-1 at Hamilton and might have finished before our game, so the transistor radios were in hot action.  

Hamilton were 1 up before our game kicked off.

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair though the fee would only be something like 10-30k but the obvious implication like with QotS/Dykes is that once he goes the main fee comes from sell on. I think QotS had a 15/20% on Dykes so ended up as a 200k deal. Weirdly enough Dykes broke our transfer fee paid and received in the same day basically

Not sure why any club would want to pay a fee and loan back when player will be free to sign a pre contract agreement in January.

1 hour ago, AB1974 said:

Not sure why any club would want to pay a fee and loan back when player will be free to sign a pre contract agreement in January.

Basically a small fee to fight off other clubs. If we get it done now and he has a cracking season from January onwards he can't just go sign a contract elsewhere. 

You'd get clubs unwilling to pay even a token fee just expecting to snap him up once his contract is up instead Livi can just jump in, negotiate with Airdrie and get to the front of the queue. Obviously Airdrie would ask him to take/talk up a deal with Livi if the deal if they're getting something instead of nothing

43 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Basically a small fee to fight off other clubs. If we get it done now and he has a cracking season from January onwards he can't just go sign a contract elsewhere. 

You'd get clubs unwilling to pay even a token fee just expecting to snap him up once his contract is up instead Livi can just jump in, negotiate with Airdrie and get to the front of the queue. Obviously Airdrie would ask him to take/talk up a deal with Livi if the deal if they're getting something instead of nothing

You,  or any club, could  'get it done now' by agreeing a deal directly with the player (if the aim is to sign him for next season). If he signs a pre contract agreement, surely he can't sign a contract elsewhere? 

No need to involve Airdrie.The player will decide where he goes next.