Jump to content
Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

What is our best starting 11 going forward then? We’ve all had our bits to say for certain players in, certain out but what do you think our best 11 is...

I'd be taking Kerr out the midfield and putting him to centre-half in replace of Crighton. I like MacDonald though if he's struggling for form/fitness I wouldn't be averse to seeing McKay or Ritchie get a shot there either though, while it's probably an unpopular opinion I do like McKay at centre-mid. I do think though the club need to find his best position (whether that's centre-half, right-back or centre-mid) and stick with him there. 

Currie 

Ritchie/MacDonald Fordyce Kerr McCann 

Sabatini McKay 

Robert Carrick Connell 

Gallagher 

Something like that seems like our best team at the moment and is the formation/shape we tend to pick up the most results with. I'd even be tempted to get rid of one of the other holding midfielders and play another attacking player but Stokes is probably your only option there and he hasn't really shown enough for me in his admittedly fleeting appearances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'd be taking Kerr out the midfield and putting him to centre-half in replace of Crighton. I like MacDonald though if he's struggling for form/fitness I wouldn't be averse to seeing McKay or Ritchie get a shot there either though, while it's probably an unpopular opinion I do like McKay at centre-mid. I do think though the club need to find his best position (whether that's centre-half, right-back or centre-mid) and stick with him there. 
Currie 
Ritchie/MacDonald Fordyce Kerr McCann 
Sabatini McKay 
Robert Carrick Connell 
Gallagher 
Something like that seems like our best team at the moment and is the formation/shape we tend to pick up the most results with. I'd even be tempted to get rid of one of the other holding midfielders and play another attacking player but Stokes is probably your only option there and he hasn't really shown enough for me in his admittedly fleeting appearances. 


I'd be doing pretty much the exact same thing at the moment since the defence clearly needs shaking up. I'd maybe go with McKay at right back and Ritchie in midfield though since McKay has more experience at right back (even though I prefer him in midfield) and that would allow Ritchie to get a decent go in his favoured position. That front 4 is a must as it's already proven to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

 


I'd be doing pretty much the exact same thing at the moment since the defence clearly needs shaking up. I'd maybe go with McKay at right back and Ritchie in midfield though since McKay has more experience at right back (even though I prefer him in midfield) and that would allow Ritchie to get a decent go in his favoured position. That front 4 is a must as it's already proven to work.

 

I know we have to try something, don't think we have the players to beat many teams in this league, I keep reading how good we were against  Clyde and forfar , its a team above us we need  to beat, good game to start winning would be on Sat, wonder when the 3 subs will come on, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andrew “of the excellent match reports” Duffy and I were invited onto a Podcast hosted by a guy in the Ukraine who wanted to hear about all things Airdrie.... and we managed to avoid recent form.

Form is Temporary - Class is Permanent

https://audioboom.com/posts/7751112-ukrfut24-podcast-interview-with-colin-telford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Andrew “of the excellent match reports” Duffy and I were invited onto a Podcast hosted by a guy in the Ukraine who wanted to hear about all things Airdrie.... and we managed to avoid recent form.

Form is Temporary - Class is Permanent emoji815.png

https://audioboom.com/posts/7751112-ukrfut24-podcast-interview-with-colin-telford

^Tis I. A good listen, If I may say so.

Regards the last two games; pretty shite, eh? We're 1 point worse off than we were 8 games into last season, so the hoped for 'fast start' hasn't materialised. We've a job on to match last season now but still, the reality is we're more or less where we were in a season that only lasted 1 game more than this one will. 

Could be well off the mark, but Crighton has seen a form dip compared to a pretty stellar season last year, coinciding pretty much with his role as a coach as well as Captain. One responsibility too many? Form can fluctuate regardless of this so just because we have correlation doesn't necessarily mean there is causation, but I'd agree with a lot of folk who have suggested giving him a break and dropping Kerr back in at centre half at some point soon. 

We managed to counter attack well last season on Falkirk so, I mean, maybe? But our form is honkin' and we'll need a drastic improvement to get anything from this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

^Tis I. A good listen, If I may say so.

Regards the last two games; pretty shite, eh? We're 1 point worse off than we were 8 games into last season, so the hoped for 'fast start' hasn't materialised. We've a job on to match last season now but still, the reality is we're more or less where we were in a season that only lasted 1 game more than this one will. 

Could be well off the mark, but Crighton has seen a form dip compared to a pretty stellar season last year, coinciding pretty much with his role as a coach as well as Captain. One responsibility too many? Form can fluctuate regardless of this so just because we have correlation doesn't necessarily mean there is causation, but I'd agree with a lot of folk who have suggested giving him a break and dropping Kerr back in at centre half at some point soon. 

We managed to counter attack well last season on Falkirk so, I mean, maybe? But our form is honkin' and we'll need a drastic improvement to get anything from this one. 

Listened to the Kiev podcast ( or is it Kviv?)  and it had loads to comment on from the mad Broomfield centre standites- the press box was behind at the back and it's a wonder any reports got sent. Colin mentioned the wonderful urinal but you could nip out the gate to the slightly better one at the main entrance. I was interested to hear of your uncle refusing to go into Safeway- I used to annoy my good lady by saying that's where the corner flag was etc , but I still think of it even today. I stayed up from the ground and I loved floodlit games as I made my way down to Broomfield. The debate on great Scottish grounds and the two cheeks was good humoured, so well done. What Ukranians make of it I leave to others. As to Crighton I think you are correct that he seems off the mark . The main worry is we seem unable to stick at a formation which attacks. I have gone for a defeat but I am near the bottom of the prediction League so hope I fail again,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

Hi guys, just dropping in with a wee interview with Thomas Robert x 

https://www.stonewallermag.co.uk/post/thomas-robert-diamond-in-the-rough

It is his first senior year and he is young but he has scored some great goals. Living in the West end of Glasgow might just have an edge on Airdrie but I can recommend Chapelhall!   I went on to read the Craig Telfer article which was a quality read. Well done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It is his first senior year and he is young but he has scored some great goals. Living in the West end of Glasgow might just have an edge on Airdrie but I can recommend Chapelhall!   I went on to read the Craig Telfer article which was a quality read. Well done

My guy, much appreciated ♦️🖤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

I know we have to try something, don't think we have the players to beat many teams in this league, I keep reading how good we were against  Clyde and forfar , its a team above us we need  to beat, good game to start winning would be on Sat, wonder when the 3 subs will come on, 

The thing is I don't think any of the sides we've played have been particularly impressive either. Cove were probably the best we've played IMO and Thistle were also good before and in the spell between their two goals but even then you could argue we were unlucky not to take more points from both of those games. Peterhead, Clyde and Forfar were all pish and Dumbarton, East Fife and Montrose were solid and professional in beating us. There's nothing wrong with that - you have to be in order to win games. But I really don't think it would have taken a lot to beat any of those three teams. Is Murray the man to find the right system to do that? I don't think so anymore so until he goes we'll probably plod along anywhere between 4th-6th. Falkirk will likely be a step above us though right enough. 

Edited by airdrieman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

The thing is I don't think any of the sides we've played have been particularly impressive either. Cove were probably the best we've played IMO and Thistle were also good before and in the spell between their two goals but even then you could argue we were unlucky not to take more points from both of those games. Peterhead, Clyde and Forfar were all pish and Dumbarton, East Fife and Montrose were solid and professional in beating us. There's nothing wrong with that - you have to be in order to win games. But I really don't think it would have taken a lot to beat any of those three teams. Is Murray the man to find the right system to do that? I don't think so anymore so until he goes we'll probably plod along anywhere between 4th-6th. Falkirk will likely be a step above us though right enough. 

I agree that we are not very far behind many of the sides that have beaten us this season. I have however been consistently saying that we lack potency in finding the net in tight games. Look at the Partick, Edinburgh and East Fife games for example where we were undone by a dynamic and dangerous center forward. We do not have enough players in the side who can hurt teams and this includes set pieces like free kicks and corners. Also, for a team that likes to play the long and high ball, where is the height in the forward line? Funny thing is, we probably have a better chance against Falkirk the way this side is set up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

The thing is I don't think any of the sides we've played have been particularly impressive either. Cove were probably the best we've played IMO and Thistle were also good before and in the spell between their two goals but even then you could argue we were unlucky not to take more points from both of those games. Peterhead, Clyde and Forfar were all pish and Dumbarton, East Fife and Montrose were solid and professional in beating us. There's nothing wrong with that - you have to be in order to win games. But I really don't think it would have taken a lot to beat any of those three teams. Is Murray the man to find the right system to do that? I don't think so anymore so until he goes we'll probably plod along anywhere between 4th-6th. Falkirk will likely be a step above us though right enough. 

I don't agree with the head hunting obsession,  we are strugg!ing as a club what other option is there apart from the 'doomsday scenario' with a Stuart Millar , Sean crighton clusterfuck taking charge.....

 

We have a squad which is highly rated for some reason by our support,   but There are massive issues throughout,   2 young fullbacks who to be honest have still to complete a full season at this level, both of whom have struggled badly with no apparent cover for these areas especially  left back.. 2 Experienced siege type centre halfs who like to sit deep which isn't a problem if you have a midfield who can link up play and have the ability to pass the ball, we don't . Therefore long balls to fans sweetheart Carrick and Robert come straight back to us.....  Murray who is far from perfect has to find a new gameplan, but he has very limited options thanks to our DOF....      

 

If we get a 'sair yin' at Falkirk ,  the knives will be getting sharpened on Murray, but on my reckoning the club amongst others must be in a perilous financial state...I

 

Survival in this league and as a club might be the best outcome come the end of the season..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't agree with the head hunting obsession,  we are strugg!ing as a club what other option is there apart from the 'doomsday scenario' with a Stuart Millar , Sean crighton clusterfuck taking charge.....
 
We have a squad which is highly rated for some reason by our support,   but There are massive issues throughout,   2 young fullbacks who to be honest have still to complete a full season at this level, both of whom have struggled badly with no apparent cover for these areas especially  left back.. 2 Experienced siege type centre halfs who like to sit deep which isn't a problem if you have a midfield who can link up play and have the ability to pass the ball, we don't . Therefore long balls to fans sweetheart Carrick and Robert come straight back to us.....  Murray who is far from perfect has to find a new gameplan, but he has very limited options thanks to our DOF....      
 
If we get a 'sair yin' at Falkirk ,  the knives will be getting sharpened on Murray, but on my reckoning the club amongst others must be in a perilous financial state...I
 
Survival in this league and as a club might be the best outcome come the end of the season..


I agree, really frustrated that we’re in exactly the same position as we were after 8 games in charge with Findlay; I fear we’ll never get into the Championship. We don’t seem to be able to find a way to outperform the other big clubs in this league and there must be a good chance we’ll have 2 of Falkirk, Thistle and Cove again next season.

However, getting through this year and going again next season perhaps needs to be the over-arching aim. It would be good to hear from the club just how much a strain this season is putting on us financially and if it is as bad what the plan would be to get through it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

 


I agree, really frustrated that we’re in exactly the same position as we were after 8 games in charge with Findlay; I fear we’ll never get into the Championship. We don’t seem to be able to find a way to outperform the other big clubs in this league and there must be a good chance we’ll have 2 of Falkirk, Thistle and Cove again next season.

However, getting through this year and going again next season perhaps needs to be the over-arching aim. It would be good to hear from the club just how much a strain this season is putting on us financially and if it is as bad what the plan would be to get through it.
 

 

As well as a full time Queens Park coming up also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Diamond72 said:

I agree that we are not very far behind many of the sides that have beaten us this season. I have however been consistently saying that we lack potency in finding the net in tight games. Look at the Partick, Edinburgh and East Fife games for example where we were undone by a dynamic and dangerous center forward. We do not have enough players in the side who can hurt teams and this includes set pieces like free kicks and corners. Also, for a team that likes to play the long and high ball, where is the height in the forward line? Funny thing is, we probably have a better chance against Falkirk the way this side is set up.

Do you think that if we changed managers in the dugout you would Change result, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Passionate said:

I don't agree with the head hunting obsession,  we are strugg!ing as a club what other option is there apart from the 'doomsday scenario' with a Stuart Millar , Sean crighton clusterfuck taking charge.....

 

We have a squad which is highly rated for some reason by our support,   but There are massive issues throughout,   2 young fullbacks who to be honest have still to complete a full season at this level, both of whom have struggled badly with no apparent cover for these areas especially  left back.. 2 Experienced siege type centre halfs who like to sit deep which isn't a problem if you have a midfield who can link up play and have the ability to pass the ball, we don't . Therefore long balls to fans sweetheart Carrick and Robert come straight back to us.....  Murray who is far from perfect has to find a new gameplan, but he has very limited options thanks to our DOF....      

 

If we get a 'sair yin' at Falkirk ,  the knives will be getting sharpened on Murray, but on my reckoning the club amongst others must be in a perilous financial state...I

 

Survival in this league and as a club might be the best outcome come the end of the season..

I take it Murray is not his own man and Millar calls the shots, well on both there heads  be it, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

I take it Murray is not his own man and Millar calls the shots, well on both there heads  be it, 

Murray is the coach.  Millar is in charge of player recruitment in his DOFrole, I thought this was common knowledge.....    Where does the problem lie....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Murray is the coach.  Millar is in charge of player recruitment in his DOFrole, I thought this was common knowledge.....    Where does the problem lie....

Maybe with the results they are achieving, that's my problem, you maybe have not noticed yet but we are pretty bad shape at the moment, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...