The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I think the question that has to be asked is:

Is Murray capable of achieving promotion.

If the answer is no, well personally, I've got better things to do and other things I can stare at on my computer monitor on a Saturday afternoon.

40 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Murray bangs on about inconsistency in the team but he changes formation every single game! EF were bottom of the league going into this game so why on earth is would change to try beat them, let them worry about us and get a formation that works...

Also... I’d much rather see Kerr in midfield over a McKay sabatini midfield, they were spineless in there today

39 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Murray bangs on about inconsistency in the team but he changes formation every single game! EF were bottom of the league going into this game so why on earth is would change to try beat them, let them worry about us and get a formation that works...

We played near enough the same team and system that did so well in the second half against Cove last week with MacDonald in for Walker, which I thought was fair enough going into it. It was clear that it wasn’t working even before East Fife scored though and it was concerning that it took until after the second goal to change to a back four as by that point it was too far late. 

Next week’s game against Montrose could be very tough. They’ve had a fairly similar start to the season as us but they looked a much better team in every game between us last season, even the game we won. I felt like Murray couldn’t quite work out how to beat Montrose last season given how well organised they are, we got lucky with their sending off in the 1-0 win. We had a good record against Falkirk last season but they seem a much better team this season and that will also be a difficult game. I think how well we do in these two games will be a big indicator for the rest of the season. 

55 minutes ago, G_H said:

If the answer is no, well personally, I've got better things to do and other things I can stare at on my computer monitor on a Saturday afternoon.

Totally agree with this. I want Murray to succeed but there’s ways losing can be acceptable imo but the games we have lost this season have been utterly hopeless. As soon as we concede this season it feels like there’s no way back for us even with 60 mins of football to play today. Heads go down and it’s hit and hope passes.

Are we in a much better state now than we were when Murray came in 2 years ago?   ... I’m not convinced 

19 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Totally agree with this. I want Murray to succeed but there’s ways losing can be acceptable imo but the games we have lost this season have been utterly hopeless. As soon as we concede this season it feels like there’s no way back for us even with 60 mins of football to play today. Heads go down and it’s hit and hope passes.

Are we in a much better state now than we were when Murray came in 2 years ago?   ... I’m not convinced 

We are no better than last season though it was the bottom of the league teams we lost to in the first quarter. All managers have what they consider un-dropable players and our manager is right up there he tinkers with the three more attacking players while u can bet on the 6 defenders starting each week. Playoffs was my expectation and still is though not a cert as we can't seem to put a run of wins or even go unbeaten for 3 or 4 games. Imo we do have some decent players going forward that can cause teams real problems however for that to happen the manager needs a complete rethink of tactics or a decent coach to help him give him the confidence to make changes that will make a difference ♦️

1 hour ago, G_H said:

If Murray was in charge of Falkirk would they be leading the league, probably...  There in lies the answer better players win leagues,   I think Murray will get to the end of the season, then a decision will have to be made on him and Stuart Millar who shares the blame, who might have to fall on his sword for the club to reset....

The scattergun recruitment policy this year was exciting but appears to be unravelling long before xmas,   o Reilly, Mbayo, Ritchie, Stokes, who in God's name found that lot.  Not to mention the apparently  highly rated Max Currie from Stranraer , says it all not good enough,  Robert is the jewel in the crown, although he is raw and is probably a marked man now by all wannabe referees and league 1 hammerthrowers..  , he has to be protected by the club and his onfield reammates.   Watched the promotional VT of Sabatini and the guy was a sensational attackingmidfielder, what we got was to be fair a competent defensive midfielder player will several limitations....

We are in a dogfight for 4th basically the same as last season...

Moving forward the upcoming years will see Queens Park more than likely fly through thg e leagues,   as a club we have some massive decisions to make in the coming years,  we simp!y need out this league somehow.....

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That is now 11 competitive games this season, I think I'm right that we have won 4, drawn 1 and lost 6 of those. The 4 wins came against a side 5th in League 2, and the current 8th, 9th and 10th placed teams in League 1. Against any of our play-off or title (don't laugh) contenders we have been found wanting. I know a few fans were quite dismissive of our League Cup defeats but I was really concerned by the level of performances and that has followed through into the league. We played great against Clyde but that is clearly an outlier so far (and they aren't very good). The fact we can't beat any side who are higher than 8th shows we are miles off contention for the league, like usual we'll probably be around 4th-6th.

I have no idea what we are meant to be. We aren't hard to beat and we aren't an attacking side, we aren't an effective direct team and we aren't an effective side at building up play from the back. We occasionally do some pressing but then other weeks don't at all (like 1st half against Cove). I don't actually care which of the above we are, as long as we are an effective version of one of them.

I've said it before this season but to me the biggest issue is a lack of players in forward positions. We have a back 4, plus 2 centre midfielders who have played half their pro career in defence, effectively 6 defenders. The only attackers today were Robert, Carrick and Connell. If we were water tight at the back and certain to keep clean sheets every week you could maybe excuse this by saying we could steal a goal and win 1-0, but we clearly aren't keeping clean sheets so need more guys in forward areas. It is no coincidence that when we played our best football and scored the most goals ( 5 against Clyde and 3 against Forfar) we had 4 genuine attacking players in forward areas (Gallagher, Robert, Carrick, Connell). Football at this level is often a numbers game, if you get enough guys forward enough times the defences are so bad that you will score goals. A deep 2 in midfield of McKay and Sabatini is plenty, we do not need Kerr in there. Quite happy for him to play at the back (he was good at right back in 2nd half last week) but he's never a midfielder, just because you are a centre back who can spray 40 yard passes does not mean that you can just slot into midfield. We were much better last week when he was taken out midfield and moved into the back 4.

We had to go out and try and attack the league this year, if it hadn't worked I honestly wouldn't have minded as Cove, Falkirk and Partick are tough opposition, but I was really looking forward to having a go at it over the shorter season and seeing guys like Robert, Sabatini and Connell in an attacking side. Unfortunately it looks like another slog of a season with negative football.

Absolutely spot on. 🍻

If Murray was in charge of Falkirk would they be leading the league, probably...  There in lies the answer better players win leagues,   I think Murray will get to the end of the season, then a decision will have to be made on him and Stuart Millar who shares the blame, who might have to fall on his sword for the club to reset....

The scattergun recruitment policy this year was exciting but appears to be unravelling long before xmas,   o Reilly, Mbayo, Ritchie, Stokes, who in God's name found that lot.  Not to mention the apparently  highly rated Max Currie from Stranraer , says it all not good enough,  Robert is the jewel in the crown, although he is raw and is probably a marked man now by all wannabe referees and league 1 hammerthrowers..  , he has to be protected by the club and his onfield reammates.   Watched the promotional VT of Sabatini and the guy was a sensational attackingmidfielder, what we got was to be fair a competent defensive midfielder player will several limitations....
We are in a dogfight for 4th basically the same as last season...

Moving forward the upcoming years will see Queens Park more than likely fly through thg e leagues,   as a club we have some massive decisions to make in the coming years,  we simp!y need out this league somehow.....

Yeah I worry about the future. With Falkirk and Thistle in the league it was never going to be easy, but we need to find a way to compete.
I suspect we need to be in the championship to be sustainable, but that feels a very long way off at the moment.

These things can change quickly, but we now have a tough couple of games coming up and need some strong performances.

Today must of been one of the most difficult games to watch in ages, not one player (apart from Robert) that looked interested in getting anything from the game. Surprised at how much Fordyce struggled today aswell. Still not fully impressed with Connell either. There’s been a lot of dead wood signings this season that i feel this money could’ve gone elsewhere but maybe that’s why i sit on my arse n watch the games instead of being a manager. Next Saturday is a big game, both teams having roughly the same start to the season, can see us losing again tbf after today’s performance. I’m seeing a lot of Murray out posts which i’m still 50/50 on but say he leaves tonight, who would we even get in to replace him?

5 minutes ago, airdrie_3 said:

Today must of been one of the most difficult games to watch in ages, not one player (apart from Robert) that looked interested in getting anything from the game. Surprised at how much Fordyce struggled today aswell. Still not fully impressed with Connell either. There’s been a lot of dead wood signings this season that i feel this money could’ve gone elsewhere but maybe that’s why i sit on my arse n watch the games instead of being a manager. Next Saturday is a big game, both teams having roughly the same start to the season, can see us losing again tbf after today’s performance. I’m seeing a lot of Murray out posts which i’m still 50/50 on but say he leaves tonight, who would we even get in to replace him?

Just have a ball boy pick names and formation out of a hat, with mckay being mandatory for some reason and you probably wouldnt find much difference.

While I'm busy being a grumpy b*****d: Regarding the "great dressing room atmosphere". Curious as to why it isn't translating into results. Players taking things too easy maybe?

Edited by G_H

1 hour ago, Eric the half a b said:

We are no better than last season though it was the bottom of the league teams we lost to in the first quarter. All managers have what they consider un-dropable players and our manager is right up there he tinkers with the three more attacking players while u can bet on the 6 defenders starting each week. Playoffs was my expectation and still is though not a cert as we can't seem to put a run of wins or even go unbeaten for 3 or 4 games. Imo we do have some decent players going forward that can cause teams real problems however for that to happen the manager needs a complete rethink of tactics or a decent coach to help him give him the confidence to make changes that will make a difference ♦️

Only in some games when things are going our way the attackers seem to play well . As I mentioned previously it seems like it’s curtains if we concede first in a game.  Who’s going to dig a goal out of nothing for us when things aren’t going our way like today or like the Dumbarton game? 

If we were to sustain a reasonable attempt at promotion they need to turn up more often than not and just now they  are not.

Agree with the coach shout another person in and about the dressing room with alternative ideas would only be a pretty logical thing to help Murray.

Edited by Diamond10

Easy to say that Murray started with the 3-5-2 shape today because it worked well in the second half of the game but over his tenure as a whole it has generally not been that good for us and he should be able to see that. We should be going with a 4-2-3-1 with four recognised attackers in almost every single game because it has proven to be the formation that gets the best out of us. Even last week when 3-5-2 went well, it wasn't like we changed to it from a 4-2-3-1 that wasn't working, we started that game with a very negative 4-1-4-1 and let Cove dominate the game. It shouldn't be hard to use a back 4 (what all defenders in this country are most used to) and stick to the formation that's worked best for us.
Big questions over Crighton and MacDonald for me and I think Kerr should start over one of them in the back 4 next week. McKay and Sabatini in midfield, and the front four that worked so well versus Clyde and Forfar. Hopefully Roy is back to the bench for another option and hopefully he gets to come on for an easy run out because we're already flying due to us actually going for it, rather than him getting thrown on in desperation like Thomson, Gal and O'Reilly did today.

We managed 14 points from our first 9 games last season and I think we would all agree we were pretty poor for most of those games. We need 4 points from Montrose and Falkirk to match that total this season. In general though I think you generally need 15/16 points a quarter to ensure a play off finish and that’s already looking like a very tough ask this season. The frustrating thing is I think this team is capable of winning both games, I just don’t see it happening given how inconsistent we’ve been.

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

We managed 14 points from our first 9 games last season and I think we would all agree we were pretty poor for most of those games. We need 4 points from Montrose and Falkirk to match that total this season. In general though I think you generally need 15/16 points a quarter to ensure a play off finish and that’s already looking like a very tough ask this season. The frustrating thing is I think this team is capable of winning both games, I just don’t see it happening given how inconsistent we’ve been.

Regards the quality thats a question for another day but this league is competitive and after Montrose at home we have 4 away games before that team from Glasgow at home. Montrose are decent however we should be going out positively at home against them, Falkirk away always a hard game but the next 3 are games winnable. 

Listening to managers interview it was all to much like the performance yesterday bit of a recurring theme and if he doesn't know by now he needs a bit of a rethink get Kerr back into defence have ur two sitting midfielders if you like but have at least 4 attack minded players. 

Anyway only way is up ♦️

21 hours ago, Mr November said:

Even if we lose our next two games (which is entirely possible) I don’t think Murray will go. Unless we get to a point where we’re 6/7 points adrift of the play offs I think he’ll be here for the season. 

I agree although I think next week's game is already a must win. Lose that and against Falkirk the following week, both of which seem entirely likely, we could already be about 6/7 points adrift of the playoffs. 

Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. Yesterday's performance was so pathetic and insipid but yet also entirely predictable. Hamilton and Wallace both played well and caused us problems but the worst thing for me is East Fife didn't even have to work particularly hard for the win. 

I've had a lot of time for Murray but it's becoming increasingly harder to defend him. The inconsistent results and performances, the seeming inability to know and stick to his best team, tactics and shape, the lack of ideas on how to change a game, the desperation substitutions and the dire performances and easy defeats have all been consistent hallmarks of his tenure since he joined the club two years ago. Yeah the players have to take some responsibility but ultimately, he's the one constant and the man who's overall responsible for the on field product. I believe our starting XI is good enough to make the playoffs, and maybe I'm an optimist but I still think we'll be there come the end of the season, but even that has to be in some doubt and even if we do make it we'll never be good enough or consistent enough to win over the 4 games. 

Crighton's been turned-over several times this season and probably at fault for maybe at least 3 or 4 goals? I like Kerr but would much rather have him at the back than in the midfield. At the end of last season he'd turned into a solid and reliable centre-half, who even kept Crighton out the team at one point, so I'd much rather see him there than continue with the project of turning him into a midfielder. I don't think Currie has done much wrong this season but thought he was very shaky yesterday. Totally ball-watching at the cross for their first goal. 

I think yesterday also illustrated that, while we have a decent quantity of players, we just don't have a good enough quality of player beyond our first XI. Apart from Gallagher and Hutton, there was nobody on that bench yesterday you'd have been happy if they'd replaced their starting equivalent. Thomson we already knew wasn't good enough but was signed on again for whatever reason. O'Reilly and Stokes haven't shown anything in their (admittedly) brief cameos and Stokes had a real stinker against Edinburgh City. He might have been playing out of position but I'd still expect a player for a playoff chasing team in League 1 to cause a League 2 team some sort of problems. He didn't even lay a glove on them. Ritchie I don't thjnk I could pick out of a lineup, Walker, Hughes, Burke, Moore, Pyott and Murdoch are just squad filler, Mbayo looked a big galoot in a largely meaningless League Cup game and Roy has yet to produce anything when it matters. I would be really concerned if we were to get a big run of injuries and/or suspensions and, as we saw yesterday, our bench just isn't good enough to change a game, dig us out of a hole or get us a result when we desperately need it. 

Huge game next week and I'm not confident at all of getting a result. Need changes but if/what changes Murray makes as always will be a curious one I'm sure. 

just watched the extended EFTV highlights and whilst big Sean did not have a great game he certainly was not to blame for the first goal. He certainly lacked composure for the second and cost the goal but over the piece he has been a real bonus for the side. We never really got to grips with the pairing of Wallace and Hamilton and in many way s that is our failing. We don't have a 'strike partnership' of any sort......no consistent pairing of a couple of strikers who know each other's game. Trouble is, there is no sign of it happening anytime soon.

9 hours ago, Diamond72 said:

just watched the extended EFTV highlights and whilst big Sean did not have a great game he certainly was not to blame for the first goal. He certainly lacked composure for the second and cost the goal but over the piece he has been a real bonus for the side. We never really got to grips with the pairing of Wallace and Hamilton and in many way s that is our failing. We don't have a 'strike partnership' of any sort......no consistent pairing of a couple of strikers who know each other's game. Trouble is, there is no sign of it happening anytime soon.

Aye, it has been our problem for a while, so obvious hard to believe the manager did not address, feel Ryan would have come  good again and would have been worth chasing, it becomes apparent after a few games  we have not improved a few times d other positions are not as strong as other teams  like East fife on Sat, noticed that someone pointed out we signed players from championship, aye big Sean was with Brechin, they never won a game all season, and I am sorry but I think Robert is a luxury we can't afford, need a few more players to get stuck in  when we go a goal down,