Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I see that Bobby Wishart has died. He mainly played in the great Dundee team but later in his career he had a spell with Airdrie.

8 hours ago, waysider said:

I see that Bobby Wishart has died. He mainly played in the great Dundee team but later in his career he had a spell with Airdrie.

Played about 6 games in 1964-65. He gets a mention in John Henderson's book on the 60s. Will need to look it out again. 

50 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Played about 6 games in 1964-65. He gets a mention in John Henderson's book on the 60s. Will need to look it out again. 

In John's book this was described as a "brief stay" . He only featured between August-October, and played in one winning side . A lanarkshire cup SF over Motherwell 2nd Leg but being a 5-5 aggregate Motherwell won the coin toss! Condolences to his family. 

Mind you that season we lost 110 goals in the League and got relegated, but Third Lanark were worse. We had lost 9 to rangers and 8 to Hearts, but our squad included Tommy Murray/Jackie Ferguson/Jim Hannah/Jackie Keenan/Davy Marshall and the returning Ian McMillan!  No doubt some of us thought then that was the worst Airdrie team ever seen, but promoted back the next season scoring 107 League goals.

I doubt it will be the case but looking at that starting 11 I'd like to see us use the (aptly named) diamond formation

Currie

MacDonald Crighton Fordyce McCann

Kerr

McKay Sabatini

Robert

Connell Carrick

I feel like that would get the best out of most of those players, with Kerr a little deeper, McCann and MacDonald given the license to go forward, Robert more central, McKay in more of a position to push up from deep. It's probably more likely that it will either be 3-5-2 with Kerr in defence or 4-2-3-1 with McKay pushed further up or on the right side of midfield. I think that's maybe close to our best 11 players in any case but I'd maybe have liked one of the more defensive players out for someone more attacking. I would have quite liked to see Kerr drop into the back 4 over MacDonald and have Gallagher or Stokes come in to make the front 3 a front 4.

On 30/11/2020 at 19:57, airdrieman said:

His Instagram too is something of a three-way bromance between him, Robert and Sabatini. Something that's been commented on by a few of the players this season and last is that there's a great spirit and camaraderie in the dressing room, something which I think has been missing at the club for a long time. It's a cliche but it's nice to see and does make a difference on the park. 

I see Mbayo’s now taken to posting on the facebook page during games too. He seems to be loving life here.

7 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Crighton hasn't had a good start to this season at all in my opinion

Agreed, the defence as a whole have been poor. To be honest we’ve been nothing like I expected this season. I thought we would be consistent, solid defensively but struggling to score goals. It turns out we’re the opposite of that, giving away silly goals every week but actually looking pretty exciting on our day. Sadly the inconsistency shows in the results so far.

Agreed, the defence as a whole have been poor. To be honest we’ve been nothing like I expected this season. I thought we would be consistent, solid defensively but struggling to score goals. It turns out we’re the opposite of that, giving away silly goals every week but actually looking pretty exciting on our day. Sadly the inconsistency shows in the results so far.

Think it's fair to say the defence as a whole haven't been as good. McCann and Fordyce have certainly not reached the heights of last season but I wouldn't criticise them too harshly. Crighton and MacDonald on the other hand have been poor and really disappointing.

Have to say, I'm rapidly losing interest in this season due to inconsistency and games like this one.

You can't defend that manager, high ball, high ball, just when we were thinking we play well if we keep ball on the ground, as well as manager  Crighton will never change, let down once again, 

12 minutes ago, G_H said:

Have to say, I'm rapidly losing interest in this season due to inconsistency and games like this one.

Same, I'm losing interest and know many others who feel the same. At the point where I now think Murray's time is up. 3 losses in 7 league games is not good enough. Especially with two of them being Dumbarton and East Fife. You win nothing if you cannot beat the weaker teams in the league. Even more fans falling by the wayside now. Its up to the club to see what plenty fans see and that's Murray not being the right man to take us forward. Time for change. 

That was really poor today.  Really struggled to keep possession or do anything with it, no real creativity and hardly any serious chances created.  It's so frustrating because we have players that can do all of those things.

This team should finish in the top four comfortably enough, but it's hard to see them being good enough consistently enough to mount any kind of serious title challenge.  Bah humbug.

2 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

That was really poor today.  Really struggled to keep possession or do anything with it, no real creativity and hardly any serious chances created.  It's so frustrating because we have players that can do all of those things.

This team should finish in the top four comfortably enough, but it's hard to see them being good enough consistently enough to mount any kind of serious title challenge.  Bah humbug.

Top 4 not playing like that 😭😭

7 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Same, I'm losing interest and know many others who feel the same. At the point where I now think Murray's time is up. 3 losses in 7 league games is not good enough. Especially with two of them being Dumbarton and East Fife. You win nothing if you cannot beat the weaker teams in the league. Even more fans falling by the wayside now. Its up to the club to see what plenty fans see and that's Murray not being the right man to take us forward. Time for change. 

There is no consistency other than the focus on hard to beat when positive play some decent stuff but all to often return to type. 

Do you think the management think the opposition are better than they actually are if you want promotion need to be a bit more positive also we haven't had many clean sheets ether.

Still we are Airdrie the only way is up ♦️

2 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Top 4 not playing like that 😭😭

No, not playing like that, obviously.  Playing like they did against Clyde and Forfar and the second half against Cove.  I think we'll see more like that, but we'll also see more of what we had today and against Dumbarton. 

7 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

No, not playing like that, obviously.  Playing like they did against Clyde and Forfar and the second half against Cove.  I think we'll see more like that, but we'll also see more of what we had today and against Dumbarton. 

Don't know if it's our coaching or if the players  are not good  enough but we just can't beat a team that works hard, personally I think it's both,