The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I noticed as well that Gallagher, Connell and Roy are all doubts. Definitely a concern as as others above have said, those three are our only real strikers. Carrick can of course play upfront but we won't get the best out of him there and we've already seen playing Stokes upfront doesn't work. Would feel much less confident about getting something from the game if those three are missing but good news that Roy is obviously progressing with his rehab and is only a 'late fitness test' away from featuring. 

13 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I noticed as well that Gallagher, Connell and Roy are all doubts. Definitely a concern as as others above have said, those three are our only real strikers. Carrick can of course play upfront but we won't get the best out of him there and we've already seen playing Stokes upfront doesn't work. Would feel much less confident about getting something from the game if those three are missing but good news that Roy is obviously progressing with his rehab and is only a 'late fitness test' away from featuring. 

Aye that's true, clearly a sign of progress for Roy. 

I suppose we'll find out tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Progress and Ally Roy-who would have predicted that during most of last season? It's a funny old game .

The jury's still out for me as he's still yet to produce anything when it matters but, whatever it's worth, he undeniably had a good pre-season. Here's hoping he can re-produce that form in league games whenever he's back. 

21 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Last season I just would not have played him, 

Neither would I, but I'll give the lad his due, he's started pre-season and looked as if he had the bit between his teeth to prove a point.  We'll see the measure of the man when he's back playing and if he can get an early goal when he's back, no reason why he can't carry on, and I think we'll all take the big GIRUY if he does, gladly.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Neither would I, but I'll give the lad his due, he's started pre-season and looked as if he had the bit between his teeth to prove a point.  We'll see the measure of the man when he's back playing and if he can get an early goal when he's back, no reason why he can't carry on, and I think we'll all take the big GIRUY if he does, gladly.

Aye, he did look better in the few games up to his injury, 

Good to see Sabatini back in. Connell obviously only fit enough for the bench and a debut for Scott Walker in place of Kyle MacDonald (I assume). 

Really strange to see Walker in even if MacDonald is out. I assume it would have been Mbayo if he was fit but even then, you'd expect either McKay or Kerr to join the defence and someone like Ritchie or Stokes to come into midfield before Walker starting. Maybe he's impressed in training.

Strange that Walker’s barely been on the bench this season but is now starting. I hope he’s good though, I’ve been saying all season there’s no point in signing the younger players if you’re not going to use them so today will give us a decent idea if he’s up to it.

26 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Really strange to see Walker in even if MacDonald is out. I assume it would have been Mbayo if he was fit but even then, you'd expect either McKay or Kerr to join the defence and someone like Ritchie or Stokes to come into midfield before Walker starting. Maybe he's impressed in training.

You would have thought so, especially since McKay was playing right-back only 2 or 3 games or so ago and I'm sure even Ritchie has played there before too. Nevertheless good to see him get a chance. A big game to get your first start in but with that comes a big opportunity to make an impression. A big call from Murray but as you say, he must have earned it in training so fair enough. 

I think today’s game showed the importance of having someone like Thomas Robert in the team. With any of Murray’s previous teams we’d have lost that 1-0 but having a player with Robert’s ability and confidence makes a massive difference when trying to break teams down. Cove seemed to struggle to deal with him outside of constantly bringing him down. Robert might even be our new Jamie Bain (who’d have thought) in that he doesn’t seem to score tap-ins! 

I thought Kyle Connell was excellent when he came on too, he seems to be improving with every game. Hopefully we can keep him beyond January.

25 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think today’s game showed the importance of having someone like Thomas Robert in the team. With any of Murray’s previous teams we’d have lost that 1-0 but having a player with Robert’s ability and confidence makes a massive difference when trying to break teams down. Cove seemed to struggle to deal with him outside of constantly bringing him down. Robert might even be our new Jamie Bain (who’d have thought) in that he doesn’t seem to score tap-ins! 

I thought Kyle Connell was excellent when he came on too, he seems to be improving with every game. Hopefully we can keep him beyond January.

Cove will wonder how they only got 1 point, so far ahead of us in most positions, surely the manager has got to get the team to play on the deck, once again we invited them on to us, that was some stats possession wise first half, yes we got a point but can be far from happy being outplayed most of the match, only one man to blame, doesn't look like it will change anytime soon  . 

33 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Said the same thing on Twitter. That would have been a game we'd have lost last season. But Robert is that bit of creativity and ingenuity we've been missing for a long time. Even when we're not playing particularly well (like the first half today) having a player like Robert means we can get a goal and/or result out of nothing. You can already see he's playing at a level well below what he's capable of. We should enjoy him while we have him... 

Agreed on Connell too, he was a real catalyst for the improved second half performance and was unlucky not to get a goal. Extending his loan deal should be a priority IMO. 

15 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Cove will wonder how they only got 1 point, so far ahead of us in most positions, surely the manager has got to get the team to play on the deck, once again we invited them on to us, that was some stats possession wise first half, yes we got a point but can be far from happy being outplayed most of the match, only one man to blame, doesn't look like it will change anytime soon  . 

Outplayed, too slow and always 2nd to the ball in the first half agreed. But we were clearly the better side in the 2nd half - we looked hungry, got that 2nd ball and played some decent stuff.  Could have got 3 points if Connell's shot hadnt cracked off the bar/post. Am assuming your DTV link froze at half time based on your comments.

22 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Don't think you can blame Murray for players bei ng unable to pass and move,  we were totally outp!aged by a team who has better players in most positions,  no team likes to play on the back foot, it was Murray's positional changes that changed the flow of the game second half..    😀👐👐👐👐and yes I a m a happy clapper this evening ...

No point going on about first half but the switches in 2nd half entitled us to get back into the game. Kerr seemed to be told to mark Masson which freed up the changes up the park for Walker and let Carrick get on his runs. Connell did make a world of difference while Gallagher was isolated (if fit) . Cove had comfortable players but to turn around that possession figure and score a cracking goal , needs a degree of praise. Tam Rab might well be the type of player we need to break down teams-- but scoring first still is the crux in L1, and we gave Cove a bit too much time on the ball. I would see these two teams as the top four with Falkirk as the one to be reined in.  Methil will test us next week but that's what we all expected on Day1. 

Coming back from behind is a good psychological boost as well - too many times this season and last, we had no idea how to get back into a game when we went a goal down . There was an inevitability creeping in that when we lost a goal, the game was over.  But hopefully today, that puts that one to bed.  Granted we never got 3 points, but that point could be important at the end of the season.

11 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Coming back from behind is a good psychological boost as well - too many times this season and last, we had no idea how to get back into a game when we went a goal down . There was an inevitability creeping in that when we lost a goal, the game was over.  But hopefully today, that puts that one to bed.  Granted we never got 3 points, but that point could be important at the end of the season.

Unable to see game today to many jobs to catch up on.  Think Reading the posts probably would have lost this going behind last season so definitely a plus point today they are no mugs ether. ♦️

Edited by Eric the half a b