The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

That was excellent, night and day compared to last week. The team was much more attacking, definitely the best football we’ve played in a while. Robert was excellent and really dangerous going forward and Sabatini is a class act, not many midfielders in this league who are as composed on the ball as he is. Defensively we seemed fine, Goodwillie was relatively quiet by his usual standards and McCann seemed back to his best. It’s good to see Gallagher and Carrick getting a couple of goals each and Connell getting his first goal too. Absolutely no complaints which is rare for a Saturday evening!

I could be wrong but I think that’s the first time we’ve scored 5 goals since 2014 and the first time since that 11-0 game against Gala Fairydean that we’ve won by 5 or more goals. Fair play to Airdrie for waiting until we’re not there to see it but I’ll happily take it as it is. 

I originally thought we should change things up for the cup games to give the likes of Stokes, Mbayo and Ritchie some game time but I think I’d try and start today’s team on Wednesday night to build up some familiarity. 

Are we now back to Murray in?

Edited by Mr November

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

That was excellent, night and day compared to last week. The team was much more attacking, definitely the best football we’ve played in a while. Robert was excellent and really dangerous going forward and Sabatini is a class act, not many midfielders in this league who are as composed on the ball as he is. Defensively we seemed fine, Goodwillie was relatively quiet by his usual standards and McCann seemed back to his best. It’s good to see Gallagher and Carrick getting a couple of goals each and Connell getting his first goal too. Absolutely no complaints which is rare for a Saturday evening!

I could be wrong but I think that’s the first time we’ve scored 5 goals since 2014 and the first time since that 11-0 game against Gala Fairydean that we’ve won by 5 or more goals. Fair play to Airdrie for waiting until we’re not there to see it but I’ll happily take it as it is. 

I originally thought we should change things up for the cup games to give the likes of Stokes, Mbayo and Ritchie some game time but I think I’d try and start today’s team on Wednesday night to build up some familiarity. 

Are we now back to Murray in?

Can't ask for more than that as for Murray only ask to be a bit more positive......like today♦️

5 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

We were iffy last season for 10 or so games before we gave Forfar a doing and kicked on. Hopefully that's us now doing that a bit earlier this time.

Yeah last season was a lot of hit and miss performances with changes to the team and formation every week until things clicked up at Forfar. Hopefully we’ve found that today.

Well that was a wee bit better... 

No complaints at all today. Thought the whole team were excellent. The back 4 were solid and kept Goodwillie quiet. McCann was his usual high standard at the back and going forward. His delivery was much better today and he linked up really well with Connell. Sabatini strolled it, as always. Great at winning possession and so calm and composed on the ball. He's absolutely key to retaining possession, recycling the ball and getting us positively up the park. Robert had a cracking game. His ball to Carrick for the second goal was lovely. He's still raw but I think the more he plays the sharper and more dangerous he'll get. Connell, Carrick and Gallagher were all sharp and took their goals well. Pleasing that Gallagher and Connell were able to get off the mark. All played with confidence so hopefully they'll take that forward into the rest of the season. Thought McKay played well too though I think MacDonald can still consider himself unfortunate to have been dropped. Was encouraged by the fact that we continued to go for it after the 5th and we were unlucky not to score a couple more. Lovely stuff! 

If I have to moan... I would say that it makes last week's result all the more frustrating. See what happens when you play players who can control and pass a football? 

Good solid win, great to see the ball on the deck a lot more  with players like Robert, Sabatini, McCann  that are good on the ground we should be a match for most in this league, Nice to see our young striker on the score sheet, yes Mr Murray you got it right today, subs prove to be at right time, 

Well that was fucking delightful. 

Sabatini, Robert, Carrick, Gallagher, Connell; all excellent. Clyde, though, looked absolutely honkin', fear for them after that display, so whilst I have never been keen on getting too raging at defeats we cannae get too carried away, either. That will have our confidence up, our belief restored and bounce in our step. We had the application back, the appetite and energy, but we passed the ball about really well at times, too. 

Just lovely. Danny Lennon might want to go to that desert island he's always talking about. 

We can aw fight about Murray and which midfielders we should and shouldnae play another time, debate youth loans vs experienced players another time, but for now, that was fucking class. Just enjoy it. 

Posted elsewhere but that was a quality afternoon, and despite the sun glare and absence of replayed incidents, I did keep calm-a bit like Sabatini. Yes Clyde lacked a midfield and if Goodwillie had scored with that header I still think we would have dominated. Someone was moaning about the commentators but they were good at keeping us in touch over the glare. And hearing "Vive la France" at an Airdrie game brought back memories of Jerome! Can we build on that performance? Lets hope so.

15 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

That right?

Fanny

Don't think anybody was expecting such a positive performance or result. I certainly wasn't. More than delighted though. Hopefully we can truly kick on here from here and we stick to the attacking football on the deck we saw today. We've always struggled for consistency in that regard under Murray but hopefully today was a valuable lesson for him in terms of what can happen when you players who can actually control and pass a football. 

Great performance, the second half was just comfortably seeing the game out but the last 30 minutes of the first half was the best football we have played in a long time. I liked the move to put McKay to right back as I don't think he offers enough in midfield. And Sabatini provides the solution to the problem we had last week where there was no link from the back 6 to the front 4, he was superb and is really effective at feeding balls into the front men and also driving forward with it like he did for the penalty. Robert looks really good technically, his pass for the 2nd goal was class.  He'll maybe be a bit hit or miss due to inexperience but we look so much better with him in the team. Connell was good and Gallagher did what he does well, if we can get good delivery into him he'll get us plenty of goals.

The usual caveats apply regarding playing a poor side and we can't get carried away. But today showed that we have the potential to play good football and have some exciting players. It makes last week (and leaving Sabatini out?!) all the more frustrating. Still, Murray made the right decisions today and hopefully we can build from here.

The last time we won a league game by five goals was, unless I am mistaken, a 5-0 win over Morton on 30th August, 2008.  McLaughlin scored two, and Di Giacomo, Nixon and Lynch got one each.  We followed that up with a 2-1 win at Livinston, and then went on a magnificent run of one win in the following twelve matches.

Edited by Tulloch Gorum
typo

53 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

IMO we created similar amount of chances to score 5 last week but this week we took them, Crighton looked shakey again to begin with but grew into the game!

Was worried he was going to have another shocker when he got booked while the teams were still practically warming up but he settled down and dealt with the limited threat of Goodwillie and Clyde well. 

1 hour ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

The last time we won a league game by five goals was, unless I am mistaken, a 5-0 win over Morton on 30th August, 2008.  McLaughlin scored two, an Di Giacomo, Nixon and Lynch got one each.  We followed that up with a 2-1 win at Livinston, and then went on a magnificent run of one win in the following twelve matches.

David Nixon is a real throwback. I can’t remember what their record was but wild that a back five of Stephen Robertson, Marc Smyth, Bobby Donnelly, David Nixon and Matthew Hazley kept a load of clean sheets for a while.