The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

54 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Ian Russell signed for cowdenbeath, retired from us years ago, had another lease of life, we could have used him the now, 

I don't think a 38 year old striker is what we need at the moment.

Ex-Airdrie player Matt Tees has died aged 81. The forward joined from Cambuslang Rangers in 1960 & played 43 games for the club scoring 12 between 1960 & 1963. Tees went on to become a legend at Grimsby Town across two spells at the club with spells also at Charlton Athletic, Luton Town & Boston United.

Grimsby obituary

15 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

No we  stick to teenage loanee 's

Just to be clear, you think the strategy of taking on teenage loan players like Kyle Connell and, ahem, Leon McCann from top flight clubs should be eschewed in favour of 38 year olds who have managed to get a gig at Cowdenbeath in the division below? 

steve coogan shrug GIF

Edited by AndyDD

39 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Just to be clear, you think the strategy of taking on teenage loan players like Kyle Connell and, ahem, Leon McCann from top flight clubs should be eschewed in favour of 38 year olds who have managed to get a gig at Cowdenbeath in the division below? 

steve coogan shrug GIF

You mentioned 2 what has happened to all the others, 

10 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

You mentioned 2 what has happened to all the others, 

I'd rather we took punts on young prospects than ageing jobbers. There's more value, better potential rewards and builds good relationships with clubs. 

With young loan players, we either get a shot at making them our player, like McCann, or we are seen as a good place to send talented players in the future. This increases our chances of getting good ones. 

With old players, we at absolute best get a season or two out them as they wind down their career. With an 38 year old league 2 player, we would have wasted a seat on the bench. I'll have Kyle Connell over that, thanks. 

On 01/11/2020 at 14:50, Diamonds are Forever said:

The ball not bouncing favourably in their penalty area is not luck though. It is a) having instinctive strikers b) having quality delivery into good areas c) having numbers in the box. I don't have any time for this reason/excuse after games, good teams do not rely on the ball falling for them in the penalty box.

Of the three factors above, we have one quite instinctive striker in Gallagher. A lot of his goals last year were from being in the right place and reading the game well, his movement for his winner at Falkirk is a great example of that. However, we have poor delivery into the box and a lack of numbers in the box. Our delivery is poor but to be fair to those players if we only have 1, maximum 2, players in the box then they need to be Kevin de Bruyne to regularly find their man.

We only had 4 players yesterday who were able to get into attacking positions. Thomson doesn't really leave the right wing and Connell drifted out there quite a bit, so all we had in the box was Gallagher and sometimes Carrick cutting in. Murray said after the game that he knew Dumbarton were going to sit with 2 banks of 4, which makes me question how he thought these 4 players would break down Dumbarton's 2 banks of 4. Unless you have exceptional forwards then you'll need more bodies in the box to get the 'break of the ball' and give the wide players a bigger target in the area. I'm not expecting or wanting some crazy attacking football, but I think taking one of the deep lying midfielders out and putting an extra attacker in somewhere is going to be needed this season unless we hope to scrape 1-0 wins all season. You do not need a back 4 and 2 deep lying midfielders in a game like yesterday, especially when one ball over the top is able to take out the entire team anyway.

One of the most infuriating things about our team under Murray is how deep we tend to sit. Carrick and Thomson, more often than not I would say, pick up the ball in their own half and are charged with running the ball into the opposite corner where they end up isolated and having to play for a corner, which 9/10 will lead to nothing. Carrick is clever and skilful enough to create something if he has players up with him but Thomson's final ball/crossing is woeful albeit not helped by a real lack of options for him to play to in the box. Gallagher can hold the ball up reasonably well but he's not a target man. Sabatini is excellent at breaking up play and recycling the ball but he could probably have much more of an influence on the game if he could play further up the park. Kerr has a good range of passing but he's so far away from the players in front of him that he's never going to be able to utilise it (still not sure I'd have him in midfield over defence anyway). 

Intrigued, though not excited, to see how we'll line up on Saturday. 

3 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

One of the most infuriating things about our team under Murray is how deep we tend to sit. Carrick and Thomson, more often than not I would say, pick up the ball in their own half and are charged with running the ball into the opposite corner where they end up isolated and having to play for a corner, which 9/10 will lead to nothing. Carrick is clever and skilful enough to create something if he has players up with him but Thomson's final ball/crossing is woeful albeit not helped by a real lack of options for him to play to in the box. Gallagher can hold the ball up reasonably well but he's not a target man. Sabatini is excellent at breaking up play and recycling the ball but he could probably have much more of an influence on the game if he could play further up the park. Kerr has a good range of passing but he's so far away from the players in front of him that he's never going to be able to utilise it (still not sure I'd have him in midfield over defence anyway). 

Intrigued, though not excited, to see how we'll line up on Saturday. 

For a number of years now we have taken numerous players on loan from mainly Dundee Utd Hibs Hamilton and Killie some have played many games others lucky to get a couple we have gone down the route of promising youngsters again for a number of years and any good ones are taken up sharpish by other teams while many simply fade out.  To build a successful club based on youth  you need to take the chance on contracts that last more than one season and I like giving young talent their chance. I would have Kerr in the back 4 in place of Sean however the bottom line is we are stuck in this league and can't get close to getting out so plan A is not working though we will be in the win more than loose hard to beat categorie and  will get the we are always unlucky .... really are we?  imo we need to have real midfielders a mix of experience and youth not turn to centre half's to be the mainstay of the midfield and thats not to criticise the two guys as they are doung the best they can. ♦️

Where's the chat of Millar being the 'manager'/real man in charge come from? I know he's been in the dug-out this season but given that the problems we've had this season have been the same problems we've always had under Murray and the contradictory position of Millar 'signing' the players/'taking the team' but Murray not picking them (if Millar was running the show surely they'd be starting every week?) I don't really buy it at all. 

10 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Where's the chat of Millar being the 'manager'/real man in charge come from? I know he's been in the dug-out this season but given that the problems we've had this season have been the same problems we've always had under Murray and the contradictory position of Millar 'signing' the players/'taking the team' but Murray not picking them (if Millar was running the show surely they'd be starting every week?) I don't really buy it at all. 

It is a strange one sure their will be some simple explanation would be interesting to know why♦️

As much as a lot of young loan players we’ve had have been rubbish, I’d still rather take a chance on an unproven player with potential than sign clearly past it players like Hugo Faria, David Van Zanten or Simon Mensing, all of whom were probably on good wages. You definitely need experience but I’m happy enough if that’s from players like Crighton, Fordyce and Carrick who have good experience in this league and at a higher level. I’d love it if we could sign an experienced midfielder who can control a game but sadly there’s probably not too many of those available in our budget. 

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

As much as a lot of young loan players we’ve had have been rubbish, I’d still rather take a chance on an unproven player with potential than sign clearly past it players like Hugo Faria, David Van Zanten or Simon Mensing, all of whom were probably on good wages. You definitely need experience but I’m happy enough if that’s from players like Crighton, Fordyce and Carrick who have good experience in this league and at a higher level. I’d love it if we could sign an experienced midfielder who can control a game but sadly there’s probably not too many of those available in our budget. 

Aye, money talks, just look at Kelty and Cove and their signing's 

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Reece Willison starting for Alloa against Dundee in tonight's game on BBC Scotland. Never felt too confident the few occasions he was in goal for us last season.

One cracking save then a bit at fault for the Adam Corner goal  thought  Adam Brown played well, 

I've got a horrible feeling about today.

I'll decide on a prediction when I've seen the team.  I've a funny feeling he'll be stubborn and play close to a team as last week with the majority of last season's team playing again.  I reckon if that's the case then possibly 0-1 Clyde.

I'd happily see changes this week to accommodate Sabatini, Robert and possibly Stokes.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I've got a horrible feeling about today.

I'll decide on a prediction when I've seen the team.  I've a funny feeling he'll be stubborn and play close to a team as last week with the majority of last season's team playing again.  I reckon if that's the case then possibly 0-1 Clyde.

I'd happily see changes this week to accommodate Sabatini, Robert and possibly Stokes.

They are needing game time, no use signing them to warm the bench every week, take the chance now give them a start for 2_3 weeks, get Robert and Sabatini to gel and we could be on to a winner,