Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

50 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

The extra subs is a temporary measure due to players returning after a long time not playing. Teams can make 5 subs in three separate stoppages (so two double changes and a single, or a triple sub and two singles). This is the case in the Premiership, League One and League Two, but not in the Championship as not enough clubs in that league voted in favour. Both games we've named 7 subs but I'm sure we're allowed to name 9 with this new rule, as that is how it has been in the Premiership. The playoffs at the end of the season will return to three subs allowed but a fourth is allowed to be made if the game goes to extra time.

I'm sure the new goal kick rule came in at the start of last season. Keeper is now allowed to play it to his defenders inside the box but opposition players still cannot be in the box when the kick is taken (exception to this is if the keeper takes a quick goal kick and it's deemed that the attacker did not have enough time to leave the box)

As for the third question I haven't got a clue

Thanks. I thought the subs question must have been something about the virus.

3 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Why’s that bad? If it gets results who cares, look at Crystal Palace staying in the premier league every year being hard to beat and being good on the break!

Agree we are and will be hard to beat most games in this league,  but if you flip it are we good enough to beat teams on a consistent basis, when yourself confessed mantra is not to lose,  but

There is an interesting play on words when you listen to Murray's interviews,(not the Thistle  interview)  Murray always thanking Millar and the board for targeting signings and bringing them to the club,   IS he is  stating he isn't signing the players and are being signed by the Director of Football,  is this why a number of talented offensive players are currently ring left out the side,  Thomas Robert and  Stokes being the players...  If so I cannot see how this can be of a benefit at League 1 level,  Managers should target and sign the players HE wants.......  Thoughts

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

We are not hard to beat,, no by any good side , 

Thankfully, there are no good sides in this division. 

That was a tight game, and all evidence would suggest that the league will be similarly well contested. As things stand, it is hard to imagine any side running away with the league, nor is it easy to envisage many going long spells without dropping any points. 

Edited by AndyDD

35 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Agree we are and will be hard to beat most games in this league,  but if you flip it are we good enough to beat teams on a consistent basis, when yourself confessed mantra is not to lose,  but

There is an interesting play on words when you listen to Murray's interviews,(not the Thistle  interview)  Murray always thanking Millar and the board for targeting signings and bringing them to the club,   IS he is  stating he isn't signing the players and are being signed by the Director of Football,  is this why a number of talented offensive players are currently ring left out the side,  Thomas Robert and  Stokes being the players...  If so I cannot see how this can be of a benefit at League 1 level,  Managers should target and sign the players HE wants.......  Thoughts

I agree with your take said earlier we are starting with 9 of last years team thats not to say they are not better than the new signings however would suggest not suitable for the managers plan A. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

That was a tight game, and all evidence would suggest that the league will be similarly well contested. As things stand, it is hard to imagine any side running away with the league, nor is it easy to envisage many going long spells without dropping any points. 

I agree, yesterday’s game could have gone either way it was a tight victory for us. That is how the majority of this season is going to be though I think cagey affairs, with the occasional big win here and there but mainly tightly contested games. I thought Airdrie were the better team in the first half and we were the better team for the majority of the second expect your late push. Neither team were brilliant and both could claim they deserved something.

1 minute ago, R&Y99 said:

I agree, yesterday’s game could have gone either way it was a tight victory for us. That is how the majority of this season is going to be though I think cagey affairs, with the occasional big win here and there but mainly tightly contested games. I thought Airdrie were the better team in the first half and we were the better team for the majority of the second expect your late push. Neither team were brilliant and both could claim they deserved something.

Yeah; I think having a player of Graham's quality leading the line will serve Thistle well; he is the kind of player that can turn 0 points to 1, or 1 to 3. Even his clearing headers from some of our balls into the box made significant difference. You're right though, there will be some comfortable wins here and there but more often than not it will be cagey, hard fought matches like yesterday. I don't disagree with that assessment, I think we struggled second half until the second Thistle goal, at which point we started to come back into it. Not sure if that was us going more direct or Thistle retreating to try and sit on the lead. 

Likely a bit of both. 

The third question : I saw the Ref award a foul when the goalie's KO from hand was blocked in Arbroath game on Friday night. I think that is the rule now but although there are 17 Laws of football there must be hunners of rules so no wonder we can all get mixed up. Offsidekick being taken in your own half because you came back from being offside in their half, this caused a few crowd shouts then.

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Thankfully, there are no good sides in this division. 

Just did not think we looked to clever, Mcdonald was being passed as if he was not there, Sabatini is a talented player but will hardly venture into attacking position  once again we were crying out for a attacking players, that will be the difference when games are close, 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Yeah; I think having a player of Graham's quality leading the line will serve Thistle well; he is the kind of player that can turn 0 points to 1, or 1 to 3. Even his clearing headers from some of our balls into the box made significant difference. You're right though, there will be some comfortable wins here and there but more often than not it will be cagey, hard fought matches like yesterday. I don't disagree with that assessment, I think we struggled second half until the second Thistle goal, at which point we started to come back into it. Not sure if that was us going more direct or Thistle retreating to try and sit on the lead. 

Likely a bit of both. 

Graham is a huge player for us, we lacked something without him on the opening day against Clyde. I think you’re right, we played more defensively for the final 20 as we seemed to just be looking to see out the game. I don’t remember us having any significant chances after our second, it was mainly you putting crosses and long throws in the box as we retreated men back like you have mentioned with Graham.

Graham is a huge player for us, we lacked something without him on the opening day against Clyde. I think you’re right, we played more defensively for the final 20 as we seemed to just be looking to see out the game. I don’t remember us having any significant chances after our second, it was mainly you putting crosses and long throws in the box as we retreated men back like you have mentioned with Graham.

Totally agree I think we have a decent squad on par with thistle. we lack that bit of extra quality/ experience and it showed with graham along with spittal being a cut above what we have that’s where the game was lost for us imo.

Totally agree I think we have a decent squad on par with thistle. we lack that bit of extra quality/ experience and it showed with graham along with spittal being a cut above what we have that’s where the game was lost for us imo.

Think this match came a little too early for us. Another couple of games and we may have that cutting edge. Maybe. But there’s a lot of potential in the team and we need to find our feet quickly. But once again we find that the expected contenders are dropping points and this will definitely be tight. Would have bet good money on Falkirk taking 3 points... coupon buster

On 23/10/2020 at 23:20, Passionate said:

My personal favourite was a midweek League Cup tie at the start of the ill fated Archibald era, when the newly recruited Spanish Armada took on the Partick,  San Juan was pinging balls about that park as if it was game of fifa,   Big crowd plenty singing and a late penalty winner by Austin McCann.

Mine also.  Beautiful summer evening, lots of drama and a wall of seeth between the Airdrie and Partick fans who were seperated by a thin column of empty seats.

My main memory of that game was my mates buying copies of the Daily Record from a shop beside Munns to laugh at one of our other mates.

A few weeks previous he had been boasting about a bird he'd pulled in the Garage. Going on about how she looked like a model. His brother had seen said bird and said he must have had beer goggles as he thought she was a bit rough, but our mate was adament she was a stunner.

The day of the game the birds picture appaered in the Daily Record nightclub review page. His brother had actually understated how bad she was. It wasn't beer goggles he had, it was ethanol goggles. Everyone was buying copies of the paper to then post the pic about Safeway/Morrisons where he was working.

Edited by Tory Boy

Another tedious rules question. On Saturday I am certain I saw a Thistle player under no pressure pass the ball back to the keeper who immediately picked it up. Did anyone else see it or am I hallucinating? I was definitely sober!

44 minutes ago, waysider said:

Another tedious rules question. On Saturday I am certain I saw a Thistle player under no pressure pass the ball back to the keeper who immediately picked it up. Did anyone else see it or am I hallucinating? I was definitely sober!

Penrice used his thigh to pass it back to the keeper at one point, so I’m assuming that’s what you’re talking about. It looked a bit awkward, but I’m pretty sure his contact with the ball came above knee height, which made it within the rules.

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/post/diamond-watches-partick-thistle-2-1-airdrieonians

Ach well, that was disappointing. A good day for the 'Murray out' brigade who seem to wait for defeats with something close to salivation, but a narrow defeat in a well fought game is no cause for doom and gloom. 

Hopefully the weather isn't as dreadful and we can get a game next week. Three games ahead of us that we could really do with winning, but can't see any of them being easy.  

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/post/diamond-watches-partick-thistle-2-1-airdrieonians

Ach well, that was disappointing. A good day for the 'Murray out' brigade who seem to wait for defeats with something close to salivation, but a narrow defeat in a well fought game is no cause for doom and gloom. 

Hopefully the weather isn't as dreadful and we can get a game next week. Three games ahead of us that we could really do with winning, but can't see any of them being easy.  

Good read again andy!

Thought we were unlucky on saturday, didn't think we played our best but thought we did enough to merit a draw. Thistle had a good spell start of 2nd half until they scored then i thought we controlled the game without creating anything clear cut which is frustrating. By no means a disaster losing at firhill as you'd like to think there and falkirk will be toughest places to go this season. Looking forward to saturday should bounce back against a dumbarton side who i think will be at the bottom end of the table come may.

15 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Good read again andy!

Thought we were unlucky on saturday, didn't think we played our best but thought we did enough to merit a draw. Thistle had a good spell start of 2nd half until they scored then i thought we controlled the game without creating anything clear cut which is frustrating. By no means a disaster losing at firhill as you'd like to think there and falkirk will be toughest places to go this season. Looking forward to saturday should bounce back against a dumbarton side who i think will be at the bottom end of the table come may.

Cheers mate! 

Can't disagree with that any of that, although I'd maybe chuck in Cove as one of the places that will be particularly hard to go to. I don't see them losing many home games up there. Their away form might be where they fall down. We shall but see. 

I think (and hope) you're right about Saturday. When we click, I think we look quite dangerous. Just need to hit our stride, hopefully sooner rather than later, and get goals for the likes of Gal, Connell and the midfield. Carrick has started where he left off last season.

41 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Cheers mate! 

Can't disagree with that any of that, although I'd maybe chuck in Cove as one of the places that will be particularly hard to go to. I don't see them losing many home games up there. Their away form might be where they fall down. We shall but see. 

I think (and hope) you're right about Saturday. When we click, I think we look quite dangerous. Just need to hit our stride, hopefully sooner rather than later, and get goals for the likes of Gal, Connell and the midfield. Carrick has started where he left off last season.

3 big weeks coming up with Cove vs Thistle, Thistle vs Falkirk and then Falkirk vs Cove. I just hope we can put a run together while they're all playing one another.