The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

If, like me you collect programmes, there is a limited number of printed editions for Saturday's game available to buy for £3 plus delivery. 

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/partick-thistle-v-airdrieonians-match-programme-on-sale-now/ 

https://www.curtis-sport.com/online-store/Partick-Thistle-v-Airdrieonians-24-10-20-p245011163

23 hours ago, diamondman said:

It may not be a definitive thing, but back in the 1980's when I worked in Manchester, 'early doors' was an expression for getting into the pub as soon as it opened. Back then, although Glasgow had fairly liberal licensing hours, you had to hang on until 1730 down there to get a pint. So as soon as the doors were unlocked, so to speak.

Think that may be the message behind the comedy series of the same name too, set in South Manchester.

That rings accurate, but I don't remember the show.  I see it was co-written by Craig Cash of Royle family so I will need to seek it out.

23 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

That rings accurate, but I don't remember the show.  I see it was co-written by Craig Cash of Royle family so I will need to seek it out.

This is not important right now I had a wee Google check and the phrase early doors originally from the theatre to charge a slight extra charge to get a better seat with good view in the 1870s around 100 years later the phrase was used by coaches to advise the chaps not to loose an early goal. 

The things you learn 🤪. Thats a decent price for the thistle game ♦️

12 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

This is not important right now I had a wee Google check and the phrase early doors originally from the theatre to charge a slight extra charge to get a better seat with good view in the 1870s around 100 years later the phrase was used by coaches to advise the chaps not to loose an early goal. 

The things you learn 🤪. Thats a decent price for the thistle game ♦️

The theatre of dreams indeed: maybe that's why we had a Pavillion?   It is a good PPV from Thistle and I hope I can still be as relaxed during the game.  Take care

8 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Latest episode of the podcast up as an Airdrie v Thistle special. Andrew Duffy and Alan Porteous on part 1 for us, Stephen Docherty talking about being an ex Diamond and Jag in part 2 and John Kane as a life long Jag in part 3

I'm in this, so ye know it's good...

... quiet back there! 

I'm in this, so ye know it's good...
... quiet back there! 

Enjoyed the podcast . Surprised the last minute winner that Simon lynch scored there (08/09) wasnt mentioned . Think it relegated Clyde and ensured thistle couldn’t win the league . Big hint of offside too. Very pleasing

20 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Latest episode of the podcast up as an Airdrie v Thistle special. Andrew Duffy and Alan Porteous on part 1 for us, Stephen Docherty talking about being an ex Diamond and Jag in part 2 and John Kane as a life long Jag in part 3

Listening to it in stages whilst a boring Arbroath game is on ( just conceded a goal so excitement at last) . The analysis of where we are has been much to my liking , and I agree about the lack of a scoring edge from open play will be significant. What seemed to be missing amongst all the player assessment was the enigma that is Paul McKay ( I don't recollect his name coming up, and it was around 28 mins when Alan mentioned the long throw)  I want see a 4-4-2 but he is not one of the two. As to Firhill memories one of my favourites was when Steven McKenna in taking a corner, actually kicked the flag out. We a also rarely scored in many of our recent trips so let's hope Saturday is better. I have now linked on to Andy's blogs and they are very good reading, as is OTL

58 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Listening to it in stages whilst a boring Arbroath game is on ( just conceded a goal so excitement at last) . The analysis of where we are has been much to my liking , and I agree about the lack of a scoring edge from open play will be significant. What seemed to be missing amongst all the player assessment was the enigma that is Paul McKay ( I don't recollect his name coming up, and it was around 28 mins when Alan mentioned the long throw)  I want see a 4-4-2 but he is not one of the two. As to Firhill memories one of my favourites was when Steven McKenna in taking a corner, actually kicked the flag out. We a also rarely scored in many of our recent trips so let's hope Saturday is better. I have now linked on to Andy's blogs and they are very good reading, as is OTL

My favourite Firhill memory, was beating Clydebank (Davie Cooper and all) in the Spring cup final

2 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Enjoyed the podcast . Surprised the last minute winner that Simon lynch scored there (08/09) wasnt mentioned . Think it relegated Clyde and ensured thistle couldn’t win the league . Big hint of offside too. Very pleasing

I had forgotten about that game, we were in danger of going down  as well,  remember the celebrations well when Lynch scored that day......

My personal favourite was a midweek League Cup tie at the start of the ill fated Archibald era, when the newly recruited Spanish Armada took on the Partick,  San Juan was pinging balls about that park as if it was game of fifa,   Big crowd plenty singing and a late penalty winner by Austin McCann.

10 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I would agree with that.  

12 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

My favourite Firhill memory, was beating Clydebank (Davie Cooper and all) in the Spring cup final

All eyes on Cooper, they forgot to watch Billy Wilson, great run home that night  . 

The last time we played them was in the cup last year and we lost. I remember commenting then that if we had more positive and had a real go at them we would have got a result. Today was exactly the same, set up to score from set pieces and break aways...dreadful to watch. Everything for Partick today centered around Docherty...why did it take us until the second half to put him under real physical pressure?

21 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

The last time we played them was in the cup last year and we lost. I remember commenting then that if we had more positive and had a real go at them we would have got a result. Today was exactly the same, set up to score from set pieces and break aways...dreadful to watch. Everything for Partick today centered around Docherty...why did it take us until the second half to put him under real physical pressure?

Disappointed at the result though we start each game with 9 of the chaps from last year was hopefull some of the " exciting " new signings would be more positive in games.

Still early days onwards and upwards...... hopefully ♦️

Hard to tell from a TV screen whether the 2 referee decisions were merited, but Kyle McDonald ought to have stopped what became a great shot by Spittal. We did have good possession in the first half and seemed to be getting plusses from both wings, even if it was from direct play rather than stylish football. Currie did save us from going behind but I think we deserved the opening goal from a good move and cross by Crighton. Had we gone in 1 up at half time it would have kept the edge. Thistle took a lot from that and we were well out of the game for that spell before they went 2 up. Taking Sabatini off to move McKay back into midfield tells me that Paul is undroppable and it was a mistake as it let Thistle dominate for a while. It was only long throws by Connell and humping into the box which dragged us back in. Their goalie did make a great save from Thomson and we might have got that equaliser but a killer touch is lacking. Interested to see Murray berating the Ref at the end so maybe a sense of injustice will help next week. It was typical of what L1 games will be and a sign of how tough it will be-the only team to take the lead and lose because we needed a 2nd.  Much better  TV stream so well done  Thistle. Cheers