The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Why do you ask? You looking for a tap? 

No, I've got plenty of taps - kitchen, scullery, bathrooms and one outside for my hosepipe. Thanks, though.

Anyhoo, you may have heard of the global pandemic? With no spectators, it has been speculated that many clubs might not survive. Airdrie Onions is a club I've always liked. 

1 hour ago, Ralstonite said:

Anyhoo, you may have heard of the global pandemic? With no spectators, it has been speculated that many clubs might not survive. Airdrie Onions is a club I've always liked. 

Who knows what will happen?

The people running the club must be bullish about things though given the size of our squad this season

Pleasantly surprised today thought we played quite well and better than Tuesday night with all players chipping in and putting in a shift. Think there’s more to come but next Saturday will be a much tougher test. Have to mention dale carrick think he gets forgotten about at times but a very important player for us imo

11 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

No, I've got plenty of taps - kitchen, scullery, bathrooms and one outside for my hosepipe. Thanks, though.

Decent of you to ask ond care, not a lot of that going about, 

12 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

I think we are in the same position as most clubs,    good loyal sponsors,  directors plugging financial holes,   trying there best to bring money in with the streaming service, New merchandisec etc,  in saying that it only goes so far...    Not much else they can do just now,    Trying not too look to far ahead,     

I think most clubs will find a way to keep going, a lot will depend on relative success of the team,  it will be tough for teams struggling at the bottom of the league's motivationally wise as well as the other issues during the winter months,  which could then force decisions to be made...

19 hours ago, wee_bairn said:

Good to see the leagues two big clubs get a good start to the campaign. 
Whatever happened to the WHU loanee? Or was that banter/a dodgy rumour? 

A few ITK type posters, including one or two who got other signings spot-on, posted about it so I think at some point there must have been something to it but for whatever reason it obviously never materialised. A shame as I think upfront is probably the only position we never really strengthened (although I don't think we got weaker there either) but hopefully the new boy from Killie will do us a turn. 

14 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Glad to see you guys won today. How are you managing financially?

Will obviously be a difficult time for the club, much like every other, but ostensibly we seem to be in a position of relative strength. We cut our reserves but we still have a pretty large squad, retained almost all of our better players from last season and have, so far at least, appeared to have signed well. We're in a much better position now off the field in terms of ownership and have owners who are willing to invest in the team and structure of the club on and off the park. They obviously don't have endless pockets, especially at this level and in this current situation, but so far at least they've invested and plugged holes where they've needed to. Sponsors have stepped up - Holemasters have been very generous (and provided endless streams of 'witty' Twitter posts) for a few years now. The club set up a membership scheme/direct debit and monthly prize draw and have sold season tickets. The club have not publicly released the numbers or uptake of both of these but I would like to think both will have been at least relatively successful in this time of difficulty. 

So I think on the whole, while this season will be a struggle, we should hopefully come through the other side okay. You never know for sure though and with the situation being so unpredictable things could easily turn. 

PS pick up a bit of form and relegate Motherwell please. About time the proper Lanarkshire derby returned. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

A few ITK type posters, including one or two who got other signings spot-on, posted about it so I think at some point there must have been something to it but for whatever reason it obviously never materialised. A shame as I think upfront is probably the only position we never really strengthened (although I don't think we got weaker there either) but hopefully the new boy from Killie will do us a turn. 

Will obviously be a difficult time for the club, much like every other, but ostensibly we seem to be in a position of relative strength. We cut our reserves but we still have a pretty large squad, retained almost all of our better players from last season and have, so far at least, appeared to have signed well. We're in a much better position now off the field in terms of ownership and have owners who are willing to invest in the team and structure of the club on and off the park. They obviously don't have endless pockets, especially at this level and in this current situation, but so far at least they've invested and plugged holes where they've needed to. Sponsors have stepped up - Holemasters have been very generous (and provided endless streams of 'witty' Twitter posts) for a few years now. The club set up a membership scheme/direct debit and monthly prize draw and have sold season tickets. The club have not publicly released the numbers or uptake of both of these but I would like to think both will have been at least relatively successful in this time of difficulty. 

So I think on the whole, while this season will be a struggle, we should hopefully come through the other side okay. You never know for sure though and with the situation being so unpredictable things could easily turn. 

PS pick up a bit of form and relegate Motherwell please. About time the proper Lanarkshire derby returned. 

It was a Airdrie director who told me we were getting a forward on loan from West Ham. 

There is obviously the much publicised Harry Redknapp and McKay involvement in Airdrie. But also Miller is friends with Moyes. Airdrie were hoping that a successful loan might lead to more players coming up. 

I spoke to some other West Ham fans who are bit more itk than me to see if they had heard anything and one of them said it was Sean Adarkwa we were supposed to be getting on loan. 

I have no idea whats gone on that deal hasn't went through. 

13 minutes ago, davidy233 said:

I photographed the game yesterday - impressed with Carrick and I've got lots of pics with Fordyce in them (which usually means he was involved a lot). First time I've been at Airdrie in a few years, enjoyed the match and you deserved the win.

You can see my pics here

Great close ups and thanks for posting. It was good to see Fordyce's headed goal as the steam can pass so quickly ( I am feart to rewind during the game). It's also fascinating for this rather baldy chap to see all those different hairstyles. I would fancy a caption competition for the Ryan Conroy photo- I could start with " Are you sure I used to appear here?"  Had you just stayed on after Dundee's 6 goal defeat in the capital or are you a United fan or just a professional? Take care

13 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Great close ups and thanks for posting. It was good to see Fordyce's headed goal as the steam can pass so quickly ( I am feart to rewind during the game). It's also fascinating for this rather baldy chap to see all those different hairstyles. I would fancy a caption competition for the Ryan Conroy photo- I could start with " Are you sure I used to appear here?"  Had you just stayed on after Dundee's 6 goal defeat in the capital or are you a United fan or just a professional? Take care

I'm a professional, was doing Airdrie v Perterhead for one of the national papers, but yesterday helped clear the head after being at the end where most the goals weren't going in at Tynecastle on Friday.

I think yesterday showed what a few people thought during the summer which is that the continuity in defence will put us in a strong position at the start of the season. I think going forward will take much longer to 'click' as that is where we have more new options. Robert, Stokes, Connell and effectively Thomson and O'Reilly too (given their injuries last year) mean that we have lots of new options that we haven't such much of yet. At the moment he seems to be going with the known quantities of Carrick, Gallagher and Thomson. It will be a tough balance between giving them all a chance to show what they can do, but not chopping and changing so much that they are unable to form any sort of understanding. As we've seen with the backline having a consistent selection really helps - provided they are performing obviously. At least around half the team is settled so we have a bit of time to work on the attacking side, in previous years we've changing players all over the park for the first couple of months of the season and led to very inconsistent results. Big game next week which will give us an idea of whether we'll be able to challenge this year.

1 minute ago, davidy233 said:

I'm a professional, was doing Airdrie v Perterhead for one of the national papers, but yesterday helped clear the head after being at the end where most the goals weren't going in at Tynecastle on Friday.

We.ve all had clear the head days like that-mine is 7 against us at Cliftonhill a few years ago-still seared on my memory. Good luck with your season and don't stay away so long.

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/post/diamond-watches-airdrieonians-2-0-peterhead

Pleasing start for us, as we've all said by now. Here's hoping we can take advantage of the increased pressure on Thistle and they don't get a reaction from losing, quite badly it seems, at Clyde. 

Hope Si Ferry is preparing his Internet Irritant report on his injury. Being irritated has been learnt from Jim McInally who appears to be keeping an eye out on all the fouls by the other side, and none on his team's yellow cards. Good reading again

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Hope Si Ferry is preparing his Internet Irritant report on his injury. Being irritated has been learnt from Jim McInally who appears to be keeping an eye out on all the fouls by the other side, and none on his team's yellow cards. Good reading again

Hahaha couldnae help myself . Thanks, much appreciated. 

Aye, seen McInally greetin' in his post match comments. Had our defence on toast?   

elvis presley GIF

Wild. 

57 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Hahaha couldnae help myself . Thanks, much appreciated. 

Aye, seen McInally greetin' in his post match comments. Had our defence on toast?   

elvis presley GIF

Wild. 

There are loads of cliches in football manager speak and I often wonder what this one means as i quite like a few slices of toast. I was watching STV sport (football) tonight and it was about scoring "early doors" ( or losing a goal as it was Callum McGregor). When did this cliche come in and what does it mean? Getting through a door before your opponent and closing it to them?   Just a bit of grumpy old man stuff ( A cliche itself!)  

21 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

There are loads of cliches in football manager speak and I often wonder what this one means as i quite like a few slices of toast. I was watching STV sport (football) tonight and it was about scoring "early doors" ( or losing a goal as it was Callum McGregor). When did this cliche come in and what does it mean? Getting through a door before your opponent and closing it to them?   Just a bit of grumpy old man stuff ( A cliche itself!)  

I think "early doors" crept into the lexicon maybe 15-20 years ago and is a mispronunciation of "early days", but that may be completely wrong.

6 minutes ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

I think "early doors" crept into the lexicon maybe 15-20 years ago and is a mispronunciation of "early days", but that may be completely wrong.

Thanks for the idea of origin. It does seem to be TV related rather than Radio, and I can see the reasoning. I wonder if "early days" suggest you still have a chance whereas "early doors" suggests  your chance has gone?  I am now going to build up a list of them as i come across them. Cheers

It may not be a definitive thing, but back in the 1980's when I worked in Manchester, 'early doors' was an expression for getting into the pub as soon as it opened. Back then, although Glasgow had fairly liberal licensing hours, you had to hang on until 1730 down there to get a pint. So as soon as the doors were unlocked, so to speak.

Think that may be the message behind the comedy series of the same name too, set in South Manchester.

14 hours ago, diamondman said:

It may not be a definitive thing, but back in the 1980's when I worked in Manchester, 'early doors' was an expression for getting into the pub as soon as it opened. Back then, although Glasgow had fairly liberal licensing hours, you had to hang on until 1730 down there to get a pint. So as soon as the doors were unlocked, so to speak.

Think that may be the message behind the comedy series of the same name too, set in South Manchester.

And what a cracking show it is! Almost feels like it's from another age with the smoking in pubs, the price of the pints etc but the comedy, writing and wit is timeless.