The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Literally just walked in the door, job at Galston turned into a nightmare.

Didn't even know the result until 2 mins ago. Once again delighted Roy's on the scoresheet and by the twitter feed, sounded a real instinctive alert finish, I hope he carries on and maybe even becomes our own 'kevin nisbet' or another 'Allan Russell" 

That starting 11 certainly looks as close to a starting 11, and I'm not surprised by Thomson in there, as someone I was talking to from the club expect him to be a "big player" this season.

Certainly a lot to be happy about with how pre-season has went, though I’m not getting carried away.  It’s hard to argue with the team that started today based on performances across pre-season. 

I thought we looked really solid defensively today. To be honest, other than the opening 20 minutes or so in the first Albion Rovers game we haven’t been too troubled defensively so far. Both Currie and Hutton seem solid but neither have had a great deal to do given how well the defence have done. I’m really pleased we have the same defence as last year with Currie behind them, it gives us a great foundation to build on. 

Josh Kerr has probably been one of our best players over all the games and has probably made himself our first choice defensive midfielder. Kerr and Sabatini seem to have a decent understanding already and they’re much better on the ball than any midfield pairing we’ve had for a while. I’m not convinced we’ll see many goals from them but they look like a solid partnership. 

Ally Roy’s on an excellent run and definitely deserves to start over Gallagher, which is something I definitely didn’t expect to be saying! He seems a lot more confident than he did last season so hopefully he can keep his scoring run going. 

I think the only real question mark for the start of the season is the three behind Roy. Carrick’s a nailed on starter for me but the other two positions are definitely up for debate. Stokes and Robert have had some good moments so far but both seem to drift in and out of games, while I think I prefer Thomson to O’Reilly so far there’s not too much between them. 

11 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Certainly a lot to be happy about with how pre-season has went, though I’m not getting carried away.  It’s hard to argue with the team that started today based on performances across pre-season. 

I thought we looked really solid defensively today. To be honest, other than the opening 20 minutes or so in the first Albion Rovers game we haven’t been too troubled defensively so far. Both Currie and Hutton seem solid but neither have had a great deal to do given how well the defence have done. I’m really pleased we have the same defence as last year with Currie behind them, it gives us a great foundation to build on. 

Josh Kerr has probably been one of our best players over all the games and has probably made himself our first choice defensive midfielder. Kerr and Sabatini seem to have a decent understanding already and they’re much better on the ball than any midfield pairing we’ve had for a while. I’m not convinced we’ll see many goals from them but they look like a solid partnership. 

Ally Roy’s on an excellent run and definitely deserves to start over Gallagher, which is something I definitely didn’t expect to be saying! He seems a lot more confident than he did last season so hopefully he can keep his scoring run going. 

I think the only real question mark for the start of the season is the three behind Roy. Carrick’s a nailed on starter for me but the other two positions are definitely up for debate. Stokes and Robert have had some good moments so far but both seem to drift in and out of games, while I think I prefer Thomson to O’Reilly so far there’s not too much between them.

Good competitive game with the performance ramped up,      Kerr and Sabatini seem a good partnership, but rarely ahead of the ball,  would McKay and Kerr be a better duo with goals at the moment in short supply,   Definitely need more options up front,  If not we will struggle,   although we have 5 !oans we can take it need be,    Trialist midfielder seemed competent. Any names flying about....

6 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Good competitive game with the performance ramped up,      Kerr and Sabatini seem a good partnership, but rarely ahead of the ball,  would McKay and Kerr be a better duo with goals at the moment in short supply,   Definitely need more options up front,  If not we will struggle,   although we have 5 !oans we can take it need be,    Trialist midfielder seemed competent. Any names flying about....

I personally wouldn't be dropping Sabatini for McKay, imo he is the most composed player on the ball we have, based on what I've seen. McKay does like to get forward and help out which is something neither Kerr or Sabatini do, so definitely food for thought for Murray. A good headache to have.

One good save from Currie in first half from one of the few dangerous moves from QP, so he deserves the starting jersey. We did create some chances and Roy might well have scored early in 2nd half but good save by Muir. Scoring goals could be crucial obviously but the back 5 are as good as we could get on a  L1 budget, so it's fine tuning up front that needs work. Roy was alert enough to benefit from QP blunder and he looks more confident/hard working. I was impressed by the closing down from the players whenever QP looked threatening. All in all a good pre season . The streaming/commentary was fine today but like many others I want to see Diamond jerseys at home.

That was a decent enough watch and along with the QOS game probably the best of the pre-season games. Was competitive and played at a good pace. Both teams were defensively solid and largely cancelled each other out but I thought we had some nice moments of play when we got the ball down. Calamitous defending from Queen's for our goal but good instincts from Roy to be in the right place at the right time to finish it off. It's easier said than done. Hopefully Sabatini's knock is nothing serious. 

Would imagine that will be the team for Tuesday night, and based on pre-season it largely picks itself, although I agree that the three players behind Roy are debatable. I don't have a strong opinion yet at whichever combination of Carrick/Stokes/Thomson/Robert/O'Reilly fills those positions though agree that Carrick is a must start. He's linked well with Roy this pre-season and has obviously done so with Gallagher previously. Thought Roy put himself about well today too which was also great and much improved from last season. Really hope he can take this confidence and run of form into the League Cup and eventually the league. 

Didn't see much of the trialist though I don't think he did an awful lot wrong. Might be worth another look but, that being said, I'd much rather see us bring in a forward than another midfielder. 

Must say that the camera work and presentation has been a lot better than the first few streams. Would be more than happy with that quality for the season and I think the commentary has been an excellent addition. The commentary was slightly ahead at times so I knew we'd scored before Roy had shot 😂 but it's not too major an issue. 

Looking forward to Wednesday night. 

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

53 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I personally wouldn't be dropping Sabatini for McKay, imo he is the most composed player on the ball we have, based on what I've seen. McKay does like to get forward and help out which is something neither Kerr or Sabatini do, so definitely food for thought for Murray. A good headache to have.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

As we've said a few times, there will be a lot of pressure on the three behind the striker to score goals. Carrick has never been majorly prolific but scored 13 last season and, being honest, I don't see why he can't do the same again. Stokes scored a lovely goal against the Rovers. If he can be consistent hopefully he'll be amongst the goals. Thomson admittedly should be scoring a lot more for a player of his ability and O'Reilly and Robert will hopefully produce moments of magic and quality when they get their chance. McKay too scored 4 last season which is a decent return for a player in his position so again he'll hopefully produce a similar return this season. That's looking at it optimistically though, admittedly. Would definitely feel better with another striker on the books though I'm sure the club are looking at their options. 

Edited by airdrieman

51 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Agreed, Sabatini has looked excellent so far. The best player at dropping back and taking the ball into feet from the defence. God knows we need that to reduce the daft long punts we still seem to do too much of. Him and Kerr would be my starting DCMs. Kerrs passing is superb. I like McKay too but those two just pip it for me, though again I agree it's a good headache to have competition in there. Ahead of them, I'd definitely have Carrick and Robert with the 3rd being fought out by OReilly, Thomson & Stokes. I'd start with Stokes. Thomson is quick but jis decision making and final ball are not good enough yet. Same with OReilly. Up top it has to be Roy on Form, although still not convinced he's the man to consistently lead. I think we will bring in another striker soon. Back 4, well, it picks itself and Currie will start over Hutton IMO but again, good to have decent competition in there. 

Only position lacking decent competition is striker. Hope that changes soon. 

3 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Agreed, Sabatini has looked excellent so far. The best player at dropping back and taking the ball into feet from the defence. God knows we need that to reduce the daft long punts we still seem to do too much of. Him and Kerr would be my starting DCMs. Kerrs passing is superb. I like McKay too but those two just pip it for me, though again I agree it's a good headache to have competition in there. Ahead of them, I'd definitely have Carrick and Robert with the 3rd being fought out by OReilly, Thomson & Stokes. I'd start with Stokes. Thomson is quick but jis decision making and final ball are not good enough yet. Same with OReilly. Up top it has to be Roy on Form, although still not convinced he's the man to consistently lead. I think we will bring in another striker soon. Back 4, well, it picks itself and Currie will start over Hutton IMO but again, good to have decent competition in there. 

Only position lacking decent competition is striker. Hope that changes soon. 

Just out of interest, how did stokes do today? I missed it all. I'm most interested in seeing him this season as I think he's got a point to prove. Definitely hope another striker comes in, even a loanee of decent quality.

Stokes was meh today. He's a decent player but drifts in and out of the game. However that could be down to the punt game we play at times. We have to get better as passing the ball out from defence. Love Crichton as a player, but he cannot play effective long balls. Also, we don't have the type of players to confidently take those high balls in. 

As for the trialist, yeah a midfielder. Did well enough without looking amazing. Don't think we need another midfleider to be fair. Think everyone knows we need a striker. Roy did well again today chasing everything down, good energy and work rate as well as scoring an opportunist goal due to a bad defensive error on their part. However he also missed a really good chance when clean through, hitting it straight at the keeper. Is he the main man to lead the line? I'm not sure yet, but he's the best we have at present I think. Confident the club know we need another striker and equally confident they are working hard behind the scenes to bring one in. 

Stokes had a quiet game. Need to get him on the ball and as close to the striker/the opposition's box as possible. The trialist got the last 20-30 minutes and also had a quiet game without doing much wrong. Had some okay touches. Definitely a new face from the previous trialists but never recognised him. Might be worth another look but I'm not sure if trialists are still not allowed in the League Cup? Would definitely prefer a striker to another midfielder (albeit he did play in one of the more advanced three positions) but if the club think he can offer something then fair enough. 

Stokes had a quiet game. Need to get him on the ball and as close to the striker/the opposition's box as possible. The trialist got the last 20-30 minutes and also had a quiet game without doing much wrong. Had some okay touches. Definitely a new face from the previous trialists but never recognised him. Might be worth another look but I'm not sure if trialists are still not allowed in the League Cup? Would definitely prefer a striker to another midfielder (albeit he did play in one of the more advanced three positions) but if the club think he can offer something then fair enough. 

Even a young striker on loan from the premiership maybe worth a punt. With Ian Murray’s hibs connections and having got a player on loan from them the past few seasons. I noticed Jamie Gullan is still there and not getting a look in really pretty sure he had a successful stint at raith.

Even a young striker on loan from the premiership maybe worth a punt. With Ian Murray’s hibs connections and having got a player on loan from them the past few seasons. I noticed Jamie Gullan is still there and not getting a look in really pretty sure he had a successful stint at raith.

I work with Jamie’s cousin. He’s been a used sub a fair few times at Hibs so might just be an injury or suspension away from a start. Can’t see him playing League 1 again

14 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

At this stage it seems nigh-on impossible we'll sign an established striker so a loanee from a Premiership club is probably our most likely option. By their very nature loanees tend to be extremely hit-or-miss but if we can pick up a gem or the forward equivalent of a Scott Fraser or Leon McCann we'll be laughing. I'm sure Murray and Millar have it all in-hand.