The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

A significant part of Smith's contribution last year was his willingness to track back, win the ball in our half and then start the next attacking move.  That comfortably outweighed his lack of goals in my opinion.

Absolutely.

Everyone knows my thoughts (feelings 😍) on Allan Russell 😍😍😍, but he wouldn't have got half his goals without the contribution of Stuart Noble that season who was outstanding in his own right grabbing 20+ goals, but because Russell scored more and won (deservedly) the divisions player of the year that year, he's kind of forgotten about.

Probably my favourite partnership in recent memory.

3 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Strikers job is to put the ball in the net, that's what told last season, we had Smith, Roy, Carrick that would run all day, work rate you could not fault them, but no finish product, surely there was more than me thought that, 

Any strikers main aim is to score, 100% I don't doubt that, but if you can find a partnership that gives you hard work in spades, and a natural finishing ability to cap it off, then I would take that as well. My issue is, Gallagher is our best natural finisher (imo), if he's out then we're relying on unproven strikers to find the back of the net. IMO Carrick is our smartest player and is better linking between midfield and attack, he sees things quicker than anyone else and has grabbed a few opportunistic goals from that trait, but i wouldnt be relying on him to score every game.

We have one proven goalscorer in this league, it's now up to the manager or staff to find another one, or Stokes, Roy and Robert to step up and make a name for themself at this level.

https://www.airdriefc.com/2021news/200928/DTVLive---Airdrieonians-vs-Albion-Rovers

Fair's fair, this is a smart move and one they really had to take-

Having now had two trial runs with our new DTVLive streaming service, we have taken your comments on board.

We are aware of a number of recurring issues with the system and have today been in dialogue with Pixellot in an attempt to resolve these.

Pixellot developers will monitor the stream from tomorrow evening’s match against Albion Rovers before making adjustments to the system.

We appreciate your feedback on this matter, and thank you for your patience while the service is optimised.

As a result, we have decided to make tomorrow’s match stream available free of charge to all supporters. You’ll still need to log in to the DTVLive platform, but no payment will be required to access the stream. If you haven’t signed up, you can do so using the link below.

31 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

https://www.airdriefc.com/2021news/200928/DTVLive---Airdrieonians-vs-Albion-Rovers

Fair's fair, this is a smart move and one they really had to take-

Having now had two trial runs with our new DTVLive streaming service, we have taken your comments on board.

We are aware of a number of recurring issues with the system and have today been in dialogue with Pixellot in an attempt to resolve these.

Pixellot developers will monitor the stream from tomorrow evening’s match against Albion Rovers before making adjustments to the system.

We appreciate your feedback on this matter, and thank you for your patience while the service is optimised.

As a result, we have decided to make tomorrow’s match stream available free of charge to all supporters. You’ll still need to log in to the DTVLive platform, but no payment will be required to access the stream. If you haven’t signed up, you can do so using the link below.

Seen that on twitter, absolutely no criticism from me for the step taken to stream it free.

Good news that Pixellot will be monitoring it and hopefully that will lead to steps being made to improve the experience for us, the end user.

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Any strikers main aim is to score, 100% I don't doubt that, but if you can find a partnership that gives you hard work in spades, and a natural finishing ability to cap it off, then I would take that as well. My issue is, Gallagher is our best natural finisher (imo), if he's out then we're relying on unproven strikers to find the back of the net. IMO Carrick is our smartest player and is better linking between midfield and attack, he sees things quicker than anyone else and has grabbed a few opportunistic goals from that trait, but i wouldnt be relying on him to score every game.

We have one proven goalscorer in this league, it's now up to the manager or staff to find another one, or Stokes, Roy and Robert to step up and make a name for themself at this level.

What about Jarvie @Busby 

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Absolutely.

Everyone knows my thoughts (feelings 😍) on Allan Russell 😍😍😍, but he wouldn't have got half his goals without the contribution of Stuart Noble that season who was outstanding in his own right grabbing 20+ goals, but because Russell scored more and won (deservedly) the divisions player of the year that year, he's kind of forgotten about.

You are right about Stuart Noble  when Russell name was mentioned  I knew he had a good partner but could not remember his name, a hard working player, sorry Stuart Noble, 

3 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Absolutely.

Noble and Russell were an excellent partnership. I could be remembering this wrong but we beat Alloa 6-0 away from home early in that season and I seem to remember Stuart Noble getting man of the match, it was the first time I’d seen an away player get it at our level.

To be honest he’s another example of a striker who was unproven being a really good player for us. He had a great record at a low level for Gala Fairydean but I don’t think he had done much in senior football before then.

Looking back that team was actually pretty good for this level. Smyth, McDougall, Lovering, Russell, Noble, McKeown, McKenna etc were all good second division players.

I know I did moan about the live streaming but I would still like to help the club in a small way, If  anyone in the know or to do with the streaming I will still try and put payment through, it's a hard time for all clubs and a fiver is least I can do, quite sure a few others will feel the same, 👍👍

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/post/diamond-watches-airdrieonians-1-0-queen-of-the-south

I've gone and done another yin. 

Conventional wisdom dictates that pre-season games exist purely as an exercise in gaining fitness, building familiarity and settling in a squad that will have morphed to varying degrees since the end of the prior campaign.

Conventional wisdom dictates that the actual results in any such programme are of much less concern, that winning losing or drawing barely even matters.

Well, following a redoubtable, resolute and robust Airdrie triumph over Championship side Queen of The South, conventional wisdom can hereby get tae; we're on to something here, ladies and gents. Airdrie are on the march...

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fairly irrelevant unless you plan to either physically transfer someone or bring in a loan from outside Scotland. Internal loans can be done to the end of October. Free agents can be signed anytime as long as they were free at midnight on Monday.

Just to add some more fun to the West Ham loanee speculation ;)