The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

45 minutes ago, Maxismydog said:

Screenshot_20200731-120202_Twitter.jpg

Another beauty 😍

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Perhaps not the experienced midfielder we were hoping for but good to get someone in.

Don’t know anything about the lad but he sounds like more of a combative midfielder (which we could do with) so here’s hoping he’ll be a good addition. 

5 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Perhaps not the experienced midfielder we were hoping for but good to get someone in.

Well that's the bench filling up nice!y,    Mbayo, O Reilly, Roy, Kerr, Currie,   Ritchie...

We are getting to the "anyone will do" stage for midfield,   Still plenty of time but how many players do you want, 21 now and still the West ham laddies to come up.    It seems a very scattergun recruitment policy when money is tight.....

We still need a creative midfield player who knows this league ( doesn't have to be over 30). And a striker who can score 15 - 20 goals. Seagal did well but even he was replaced with better in January,    

10 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Another beauty 😍

Don’t know anything about the lad but he sounds like more of a combative midfielder (which we could do with) so here’s hoping he’ll be a good addition. 

Yeah he sounds very much like a replacement for Kieran Millar. I saw Joe McKee mentioned in another thread, I'd be very happy with him as we could really do with having someone who managed double figures for assists last season. 

31 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Imagine Future France International Tam Robert in that top. You might do shite next season but by f**k you’ll look sexy.

FTFY. 

But you're right, at least if we crash and burn we're going to look elegant as f**k daein it. 

New away kit is a cracker. Good to see we've signed a centre mid since we really need to bring in midfielders. He's came through the youth setup of a Premiership (although now Championship) club and will likely be raw but talented. If he has as successful a season as either MacDonald or McCann did last season in similar circumstances I'd be delighted.

4 hours ago, Passionate said:

Well that's the bench filling up nice!y,    Mbayo, O Reilly, Roy, Kerr, Currie,   Ritchie...

We are getting to the "anyone will do" stage for midfield,   Still plenty of time but how many players do you want, 21 now and still the West ham laddies to come up.    It seems a very scattergun recruitment policy when money is tight.....

We still need a creative midfield player who knows this league ( doesn't have to be over 30). And a striker who can score 15 - 20 goals. Seagal did well but even he was replaced with better in January,    

Based on the squad we've signed so far I can see us going with something like: 

Currie 

MacDonald Fordyce Crighton McCann 

McKay   Ritchie 

O'Reilly Robert Carrick 

Gallagher 

Depending on who's still to come in, presumably at least one more midfielder, I could maybe see Ritchie, and/or AN Other dropping out but think that could be more or less the side, or at least the shape, we start the season with. Definitely think Currie will be the starting goalie anyway. 

Agreed about  still needing an experienced midfielder in though I'm still thinking we need more of a streetwise sort of player rather than a creative type. Agreed about the need for another striker too. SeaGal can be frustrating but he is a good goalscorer at this level. He's our only proven consistent goalscorer though which is a bit of a concern atm. Think one of the West Ham boys coming in is a striker? 

7 hours ago, Passionate said:

Can you imagine if Mbayo was Mboza and he was paired with Ritchie in midfield!!!

8 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Currie 

McKay   Ritchie 

O'Reilly Robert Carrick 

Gallagher 

Depending on who's still to come in, presumably at least one more midfielder, I could maybe see Ritchie, and/or AN Other dropping out but think that could be more or less the side, or at least the shape, we start the season with. Definitely think Currie will be the starting goalie anyway. 

Agreed about  still needing an experienced midfielder in though I'm still thinking we need more of a streetwise sort of player rather than a creative type. Agreed about the need for another striker too. SeaGal can be frustrating but he is a good goalscorer at this level. He's our only proven consistent goalscorer though which is a bit of a concern atm. Think one of the West Ham boys coming in is a striker? 

Why we assuming Ritchie is gods gift he played with Cumbernauld colts and is 19😂 most people on here where preaching experience >Kerr/McKay...

7 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Why we assuming Ritchie is gods gift he played with Cumbernauld colts and is 19😂 most people on here where preaching experience >Kerr/McKay...

I don’t assume that at all. I’ve placed him in centre mid right now because that is the shape I expect us to play this season and  he is literally one of two centre mids we have at the moment. If we sign somebody better he will, rightly, drop out. I would also rather have an experienced player in that position. 

I literally said all of this in the above post 😂

16 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Currie 

McKay   Ritchie 

O'Reilly Robert Carrick 

Gallagher 

Edited by airdrieman

21 hours ago, Passionate said:

We are getting to the "anyone will do" stage for midfield,   Still plenty of time but how many players do you want, 21 now and still the West ham laddies to come up.    It seems a very scattergun recruitment policy when money is tight....

It's how Murray likes to work. I think we had about 25 players at one point, loads who offered us very little. One thing I was told is he's a tough negotiator though, he tries to get players who are hungry and willing to sign for a little less to allow him to pad out the squad more.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's how Murray likes to work. I think we had about 25 players at one point, loads who offered us very little. One thing I was told is he's a tough negotiator though, he tries to get players who are hungry and willing to sign for a little less to allow him to pad out the squad more.

How can one man coach 25 players though,  we all seem blinkered with the strip unveilings,  the tie up with McKay and Redkn a pp,   The French kid etc,   at the moment we have 21 players and no reserve team and I am struggling to get a competent starting 11 out of them ,   a good defence can only take you so far,     admittedly these players are young and need to develop,  but is our vision not to get into the championship where we all think we belong.....