The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4-2-3-1?  Back four, two to protect back four plus set up attacks, two wingers & a no.10, and a striker.

The 442 of today. I'd expect this is the formation most managers/DoF have in mind when building a squad these days and I wouldn't be surprised if we were to use it this season. Carrick as no. 10 with Robert and O'Reilly/Thomson on the wings and Gallagher up top?

This is roughly what I would field based on the current squad, having not seen half the squad play and based on a bunch of assumptions. Not too sure about Robert's position as I think he played on the wing vs Chelsea U21s. Theres clearly a gap in CM and more likely Robert goes to a wing and Thomson ends up on the bench. I'm sure Murray would continue to see something in McKay that I don't as well 😛

GK - Hutton/Currie (Depending on form) 

DR - MacDonald
DC - Fordyce
DC - Crighton
DL - McCann

DM - Kerr

RW - O'Reilly
CM - Robert
LW - Thomson

CF - Carrick 
CF - Gallagher 

S1 Hutton/Currie
S2 McKay
S3 Mbayo
S4 Roy
S5+ Random

Edited by G_H

57 minutes ago, G_H said:

This is roughly what I would field based on the current squad, having not seen half the squad play and based on a bunch of assumptions. Not too sure about Robert's position as I think he played on the wing vs Chelsea U21s. Theres clearly a gap in CM and more likely Robert goes to a wing and Thomson ends up on the bench. I'm sure Murray would continue to see something in McKay that I don't as well 😛

GK - Hutton/Currie (Depending on form) 

DR - MacDonald
DC - Fordyce
DC - Crighton
DL - McCann

DM - Kerr

RW - O'Reilly
CM - Robert
LW - Thomson

CF - Carrick 
CF - Gallagher 

S1 Hutton/Currie
S2 McKay
S3 Mbayo
S4 Roy
S5+ Random

That was precisely what I was thinking except for Kerr & McKay, two of O'Reilly/Robert/Thomson on the wings and Carrick playing behind Gallagher in the no.10 role.

That was precisely what I was thinking except for Kerr & McKay, two of O'Reilly/Robert/Thomson on the wings and Carrick playing behind Gallagher in the no.10 role.

Exactly how I'd do it with the current squad but I would expect (and hope) for midfield arrivals and another striker to maybe mix things up.

It's obviously difficult to say when we haven't seen anything of some of the squad, but the defensive record does make you think we are unlikely to see much change there. It would be hard to justify, but if Mbayo has been brought in as a starter we could well end up with 3 at the back; Fordyce left of a 3 with Crighton and Mbayo. 

That would allow us to play 3-5-2, 3-4-1-2, 3-4-2-1 etc. 

As many have mentioned already, you'd still expect a few more additions who could change the options again. Importantly, though, it does look like we will have options and adaptability could be crucial. 

Might be nothing in it, but our 20 man squad is using numbers up to 25 as it stands with 12, 13, 16, 18 and 21 vacant. 13 unlikely to be used meaning there are four vacant numbers to be filled, suggesting there are still four vacant spaces in the squad to be filled. I'd expect three midfielders and a forward if this is the case.

My team with what we’ve signed so far I think we’re a No10 and another striker away                     

Hutton

mcdonald Fordyce Crighton Mcann 

Kerr.        McKay 

No 10 

carrick.              Gallagher.            Robert

On 23/07/2020 at 07:59, goodwin said:

Any views on the preferred formation given the squad so far. 3-5-2 maybe give that we've 4 out-and-out defenders (hopefully Kerr will be allowed to play there) plus McCann, McDonald, Thomson and Reilly offering different options for the wide berth. I hope we've still to get some talent in the midfield as that area looks incomplete 

Formations are not important. Results are priority.

31 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

Recruitment was crucial, SM stated that all players signed must be able to play consistently top end of the league..   To be honest the jury's out on all signings so far they are completely unproven at this level,   Midfield is a major concern, if the plan is to play Kerr there,  why....  He played there a couple of games and struggled with the basics of that position and was replaced by Wedderburn,   Kerr is  a good improving centre half,  that's where he should play.....   Rumours of a couple of West Ham youth players coming up will they have enough quality and gamecraft to drag us out this league....

Falkirk and Partick are beginning to show there hand now

If this West Ham thing is going to happen, is it likely to be at the start of August? See that some of their players are out of loan at other clubs until the end of July. They seem to have a good set up and hopefully we get some talented prospects coming in. Tough season ahead and I think if we can get the full squad in place prior to pre-season training it will help the team gel for sure. Might be good to get HR in the dressing room for a team talk prior to some key home games, get the lads going

On 16/07/2020 at 15:00, Chris_the_rover said:

He was a massive guy, strong as an ox

Had the heart of a mouse didnt have a brain on the pitch

Struggled to make simple passes at times

I'm sure his loan was cancelled early and he went back to aberdeen with a "knee injury"

I think my main qualities are on the ball.

“As much as I enjoy defending, I like to express myself - whether that be splitting midfields with a pass or stepping out with the ball.” 

Mbayo an absolute stick on to sell a goal on his debut by passing the ball straight to an opposition striker IMO 😂

7 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

If this West Ham thing is going to happen, is it likely to be at the start of August? See that some of their players are out of loan at other clubs until the end of July. They seem to have a good set up and hopefully we get some talented prospects coming in. Tough season ahead and I think if we can get the full squad in place prior to pre-season training it will help the team gel for sure. Might be good to get HR in the dressing room for a team talk prior to some key home games, get the lads going

Yes

On 24/07/2020 at 22:15, Rio 2 said:

They're kinda linked though. The difference in formations between East Fife away and then at home last season, for example

22 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Has there been any more news on the appointment of an assistant manager or additional coaches for the coming season.    We seem to be carrying a pretty big squad numbers wise maybe not quality though.   Thoughts

Still early days yet. Hopefully the players coming up from West Ham story is true. That was some buzz when we signed Robert, so hopefully this is a similar acquisition!

Off topic but I’m sure the new away strip is being announced at the end of this week too. Just pure speculation but I have a feeling it’ll be black with a red diamond. 

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Has there been any more news on the appointment of an assistant manager or additional coaches for the coming season.    We seem to be carrying a pretty big squad numbers wise maybe not quality though.   Thoughts

Someone posted previously in the thread that the assistant manager will be somebody who already has a role within the club. My first guess would be Crighton since he was already doing a bit of coaching with the team before he went to Accies. 

5 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Someone posted previously in the thread that the assistant manager will be somebody who already has a role within the club. My first guess would be Crighton since he was already doing a bit of coaching with the team before he went to Accies. 

What about Bryan Prunty? Is he still at the club?