The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

27 minutes ago, JmSG said:

I'm just asking if my information is correct, that's why i ask like this, Secondly, I understand that some players are difficult to remember, and my intention is not to disturb anyone, so if someone did, my apologies.

My apologies also. Possibly a bit harsh from myself.

2 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

1.David Galt ain’t coming to Airdrie 

2. Marc mcnulty is certainly not going to east fife*

3. We ain’t signing any players over the age of 30 apart from Hutts 

4. Anyone seen habib Sissoko?

No signings above 30,   if true why,  surely a wind up

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

No signings above 30,   if true why,  surely a wind up

Because they don’t want to get landed with players like Adam Eckersley last season and was on a high part time wage and hardly played and worth nothing or you can have a young player that has the potential to bring in 100k+ Or progress Airdrie for years to come it’s not rocket science 

Edited by Spanish Armada

8 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Because they don’t want to get landed with players like Adam Eckersley last season and was on a high part time wage and hardly played and worth nothing or you can have a young player that has the potential to bring in 100k+ Or progress Airdrie for years to come it’s not rocket science 

Sorry I was unaware of the blueprint,   my thoughts on the matter,   The ill fated Wotherspoon / King era boasted of this mantra, no players over 30, bring on youth etc sell them on, in theory or dreamland yes in reality totally different, The player you mentioned Eckersley was and probably is a player you would want involved in the ream,  Young McCann came in and was outstanding that's football,   The avenue i thought we were going down with the HR link up and the McKays was to get players of a quality we could not afford on season long contracts who would be subsidised by ourselves and the McKays and find them a bigger club up the food chain in the process,  If successful the thoughts are our players could earn themselves a move off the back of this venture,  McCann etc ..  No current player in the Airdrie squad has a contract beyond this forthcoming season.  Any player that impresses this season can sign for any club on Pre contract or walk away and the club gets nothing at the end of there contract...

I am fully behind this change of direction to involve the McKays etc due to swimming aimlessly midtable league 1 for years.... We have to try something different,  we are getting snippets in the press, people are beginning to ask what's happenning,  possible increase in crowds (whenever that is).........  As you say it's not rocket science....

Excited about the new direction, and (hopefully) the young and supremely talented players that will come with it. I do think we need one or two more experienced players in the midfield though - who don't have to be 30+. Players who are streetwise and have a bit of nous and grit win you this league as much as goalscorers and a solid defence do. Look at the difference guys like Kenny Black, Paul Lovering, Owen Coyle (during his third spell) and Martin Hardie have made in the past. Thistle and Falkirk, who you'd think would be our two main competitors for the title have signed Ross Docherty and re-signed Gary Miller respectively who are both exactly that type of player. We have experience throughout the rest of the team so if we combine that with a young and talented midfield who are capable enough of getting us promoted then fair enough but I don't think experience or 'streetwiseness' is something we should necessarily overlook. 

3 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

What was Paul Mckay like for you lot last season? We had him in on trial last summer and to be completely honest I forgot he signed with you until I had a look at your current squad on the Airdrie website. 

Scored against you lot when we steamrolled yous at the Falkirk Stadium. 

12 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

What was Paul Mckay like for you lot last season? We had him in on trial last summer and to be completely honest I forgot he signed with you until I had a look at your current squad on the Airdrie website. 

3 mins in he starts a move then gets on the end of it to score against you lot. 

43 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

He divided opinion amongst our support more than any other player but I really like him. Started out as a defender and he played at the back a few times but we converted him into a central midfielder and, while I'm still not sure it's his natural position, I thought he was our best or at least most consistent midfielder last season albeit with some better performances than others. Box-to-box, made some cracking runs forward into the opposition box every game which usually either resulted in a goal or a shot on target and not a slouch at passing or tackling/winning possession either. He scored the first goal at TFS, which was typical of him and the team as a whole at their best, and set up the winner with his long throw. The long throw became less effective as teams worked it out but it's still a potent weapon to have. Very pleased that he's signed on again. He's raw but he's a good player with a lot of potential. Ironically, he's probably exactly the sort of midfielder Falkirk needed last season. 

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

He divided opinion amongst our support more than any other player but I really like him. Started out as a defender and he played at the back a few times but we converted him into a central midfielder and, while I'm still not sure it's his natural position, I thought he was our best or at least most consistent midfielder last season albeit with some better performances than others. Box-to-box, made some cracking runs forward into the opposition box every game which usually either resulted in a goal or a shot on target and not a slouch at passing or tackling/winning possession either. He scored the first goal at TFS, which was typical of him and the team as a whole at their best, and set up the winner with his long throw. The long throw became less effective as teams worked it out but it's still a potent weapon to have. Very pleased that he's signed on again. He's raw but he's a good player with a lot of potential. Ironically, he's probably exactly the sort of midfielder Falkirk needed last season. 

He played well in the preseason games for us so I couldn't understand why we hadn't offered him a deal especially with his versatility, thanks for the summary.

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

No current player in the Airdrie squad has a contract beyond this forthcoming season.  Any player that impresses this season can sign for any club on Pre contract or walk away and the club gets nothing at the end of there contract...

Is the development fee still a thing? I know it's not going to set the club up for years to come but any of the 23 and under players, as long as we offered them new deals on existing or better terms, if they refuse and go elsewhere we would be due a development fee. If that's still a thing, of course.

I'm with you though on your train of thought, I hope we get to see some quality young players this year, hopefully some exciting football and of course, a bit of success.

https://www.airdriefc.com/2021news/200722/Moving-forward?fbclid=IwAR0Ozc3zo72P5VhjtXe82JnqDGvVa9PXG6lEHuGpBsPXNnAwAaPTFca9l5w

'The squad will report for pre-season training on Saturday August 15. The club will arrange closed door pre-season friendlies in September in preparation for the first Betfred Cup match on Tuesday October 6 and the first SPFL League One match on Saturday October 17.

We will launch season tickets for season 2020/21 in August once we have had our fixture scheduled confirmed by the SPFL. Airdrie Community Trust will again fund season tickets for children under 16 which will allow young supporters to see our exciting new team for free next season. An exact date for season tickets will be confirmed upon the release of our fixtures.

The club also has an agreement to implement the new Pixellot technology system at the stadium for the start of the new season. This will also allow the club to broadcast live matches next season to subscribers in the event that crowd restrictions remain in place or to those fans who feel uncomfortable in social spaces with other people due to issues related to COVID-19. The new system will also provide professional coaching solutions to Ian Murray and his staff as well as teams in the local community who will use our facility in future.'

Excellent. Training date set, pre-season friendlies planned from September, season tickets next month, Trust funding the under 16s tickets and confirmation of live game broadcasts should crowd restrictions be in place. 

Really pleased with the level of preparation from the club and I cannae wait to get a season ticket (to my shame, it will be my first). 

Edited by AndyDD

8 hours ago, AndyDD said:

https://www.airdriefc.com/2021news/200722/Moving-forward?fbclid=IwAR0Ozc3zo72P5VhjtXe82JnqDGvVa9PXG6lEHuGpBsPXNnAwAaPTFca9l5w

'

Really pleased with the level of preparation from the club and I cannae wait to get a season ticket (to my shame, it will be my first). 

Well well Andy I would never have known that until tonight. For my suffering 40+ years of season ticket  I forgive you. Does look like very good news in both ways.

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

Sorry I was unaware of the blueprint,   my thoughts on the matter,   The ill fated Wotherspoon / King era boasted of this mantra, no players over 30, bring on youth etc sell them on, in theory or dreamland yes in reality totally different, The player you mentioned Eckersley was and probably is a player you would want involved in the ream,  Young McCann came in and was outstanding that's football,   The avenue i thought we were going down with the HR link up and the McKays was to get players of a quality we could not afford on season long contracts who would be subsidised by ourselves and the McKays and find them a bigger club up the food chain in the process,  If successful the thoughts are our players could earn themselves a move off the back of this venture,  McCann etc ..  No current player in the Airdrie squad has a contract beyond this forthcoming season.  Any player that impresses this season can sign for any club on Pre contract or walk away and the club gets nothing at the end of there contract...

I am fully behind this change of direction to involve the McKays etc due to swimming aimlessly midtable league 1 for years.... We have to try something different,  we are getting snippets in the press, people are beginning to ask what's happenning,  possible increase in crowds (whenever that is).........  As you say it's not rocket science....

As you say, only signing under 30s to sell them on - as has been mentioned up the thread - could only be the plan if we were signing guys on multiple year deals. As we aren't, I can't see how that is the plan. Development fees for guys you've signed and only had for a year or two are hardly going to be a big earner.

It's a bit of a cliche but you need some experienced leaders in the team. That doesn't mean they need to be over an arbitrary age, in this case 30, but you do need them. Part of the failure of the Wotherspoon/King era was a lack of leadership on the park. The senior pros were Russell, Conroy and Fitzpatrick (who was injured for most of it if I remember correctly) which was not what was required and I think the younger guys at the time suffered as a result.

I like the mix of our squad as it is, with maybe one addition. We have an experienced option in nets if needed and have good leadership in the back 4. Up front, Carrick and Gallagher have good experience at a higher level. It's just the midfield where I think we might need someone else. Good quality, senior midfielders who can run a game aren't exactly cheap though.