Jump to content
Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Exciting times.

20200712_150809.jpg

I assume faux outrage sells more papers these days.

As far as I can tell, Robert is signed to play in the first team as a replacement for one of last season's squad (Smith/Ryan?) who choose to move to another club, so it's entirely possible that the decision to suspend the youth academy is nothing to do with his signing and much more to do with the fact that clubs have much less money this season.

That said, it would be too much to expect a sports journalist who's stock in trade is discussing greivance to acknowledge that.

Edited by stuartcraig
mispelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Where to even begin with that? I bet if we'd kept our reserves and academy, resulting in us having less to spend on the first team and thus meaning we spent another season or two plodding around League 1* the same 'writer' would be decrying us for lacking ambition. 

'Exploiting the current state of coronavirus chaos'. What does that even mean? Should we just not release or sign any players? What good would that do for the same young players he's talking about to spend another season at Airdrie not playing football when they can find another club that's willing to give them the game time they need to develop? 

In an ideal world we would have an academy and a reserve team (oh wait, we did) but the world we're living in is no longer ideal. It would not be economical to be running an academy and reserve team in the current climate, especially at the level we're currently at. At the end of the day, if we want to be in a strong enough position to develop and produce our own players (to a decent standard), we need to be in the Championship or above. 

'Starry-eyed'. Give me a break. No chance that writer could name even one player who played in our reserves side last season. 

No disrespect to any of the players who were let go but of course I would much rather have players who are already good enough to be playing at a higher level and who will take the first team to the next level, than players who might do 'okay' if they got a game. Obviously. If any of the reserve or academy players let go end up proving themselves to be good enough then they may very well return one day. No reason why any or all of the academy players, who are still young enough to play at that level, can't return either once we are able to implement an academy system again. 

I will enjoy the ride thank you.

*Obviously this could still happen anyway but it's nice of the club to show a bit of ambition and a real desire to get promoted. 

 

Personally I think it is a pretty good article by IMO one of the best reporter's doing the rounds at the moment,   there is no such thing as bad publicity,  People are starting to take notice,  let's all be United and strap ourselves into Harry's express and see where we end up,   Exciting times ahead and hats off to all behind the scenes making this happen..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excuse me for being thick but which paper is this and is it all Scott Mcdermo... , whoever that is? The sub heading certainly condemns and praises in one sentence. How many young guys have come through in the last few seasons before being shifted on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Excuse me for being thick but which paper is this and is it all Scott Mcdermo... , whoever that is? The sub heading certainly condemns and praises in one sentence. How many young guys have come through in the last few seasons before being shifted on?

It’s Gordon parks and the Sunday mail 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spanish Armada said:

It’s Gordon parks and the Sunday mail 

Thanks for that info. I will take a bit of time to analyse what he wrote. He used to be a goalie if I am correct.?  It is amusing to see him writing about "the whiff of disaster capitalism" in the sports pages of a capitalist enterprise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:
6 hours ago, Diamond8 said:
Exciting times.
20200712_150809.thumb.jpg.765bf3643109005ee70b2e54c38dfe6a.jpg

How do you sell on a player who has only signed a 1 year deal? A January transfer would be a nominal fee given all that is left of the contract or it will be pre contract/free in the summer.

Sure we would be due some sort of development fee at a minimum. I've also heard that a deal is already done for the boy to move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would assume the club would offer a contract extension in November/December like they did last season with key players should he succeed. No guarantee it would be accepted but I assume that is the idea.
A player who reportedly turned down a 4 year deal with his last club in order to get 1st team football and put himself in a shop window is not going to sign an extension to a 1 year deal. If he wanted the security of a longer deal he'd have stayed at Montpellier.

This is a deal which suits the player and his agent who is undoubtedly hoping to secure the client a good contract elsewhere with him making a move wee cut. Also suits us if the player performs well but there is f**k all chance of the club making money from him so in that respect, amongst others, the article is a pile of shite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sure we would be due some sort of development fee at a minimum. I've also heard that a deal is already done for the boy to move on.
A development fee for one (shortened) season will amount to bugger all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:
9 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:
Sure we would be due some sort of development fee at a minimum. I've also heard that a deal is already done for the boy to move on.

A development fee for one (shortened) season will amount to bugger all.

We are unlikely to know the ins and outs of said deals that being even if there is very little fee generated its still more than has been in previous years. He could also turn out to be a total star and fire us well on our way to getting out of this league. I genuinely don't see your grievances here, we've stayed in this league with a total failure of a setup these changes could be the catalyst to changing our fortunes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We are unlikely to know the ins and outs of said deals that being even if there is very little fee generated its still more than has been in previous years. He could also turn out to be a total star and fire us well on our way to getting out of this league. I genuinely don't see your grievances here, we've stayed in this league with a total failure of a setup these changes could be the catalyst to changing our fortunes.
I don't have a grievance other than with the article suggesting it's a money making scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:
13 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:
We are unlikely to know the ins and outs of said deals that being even if there is very little fee generated its still more than has been in previous years. He could also turn out to be a total star and fire us well on our way to getting out of this league. I genuinely don't see your grievances here, we've stayed in this league with a total failure of a setup these changes could be the catalyst to changing our fortunes.

I don't have a grievance other than with the article suggesting it's a money making scheme.

There's going to be more opportunities than Thomas Robert for us to make money from this setup. Enjoy the ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

There's going to be more opportunities than Thomas Robert for us to make money from this setup. Enjoy the ride.

Anything that brings success will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Excuse me for being thick but which paper is this and is it all Scott Mcdermo... , whoever that is? The sub heading certainly condemns and praises in one sentence. How many young guys have come through in the last few seasons before being shifted on?

Last season Kelty paid a nominal fee for Cammy Russell I think as did Arbroath for Scott Stewart though it would be generous to include either of them. Says more about Kelty's desperation/willingness to throw money at any and every player IMO. 

Before him - probably Rohan Ferguson? Tony Watt, Liam Coogans and Jordan Allan in recent(ish) times as well which for a club our size is an excellent ratio. How many other clubs in the third tier have sold 6 (including Russell and Stewart) of their homegrown players in the last ten years however big or small the fee? Albeit with mixed degrees of success and Russell being sold to play at a much lower level. Nicky Cadden and Ricki Lamie have also gone on to play at a good standard. 

TBH I would say since Jimmy Boyle's first season as manager Airdrie have been one of the best clubs in the lower leagues at giving their own youth players a chance which makes the article all the more galling. Apart from last season (?) there was probably a smattering of homegrown players in and around the first team squad for the last 10 years. How successful that has been for the first team though is another story. Hence the need and desire to try something different. So I'm afraid I won't be taking that article at all seriously. 

Edited by airdrieman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Personally I think it is a pretty good article by IMO one of the best reporter's doing the rounds at the moment,   there is no such thing as bad publicity,  People are starting to take notice,  let's all be United and strap ourselves into Harry's express and see where we end up,   Exciting times ahead and hats off to all behind the scenes making this happen..

I've absolutely relished all the people who were raging at the signing and/or are desperate for it to fail. We've been shit for so long but Airdrie are still amongst the best heels in the business. Looking forward to seeing where the journey goes and getting it right up as many folk as possible in the process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I've absolutely relished all the people who were raging at the signing and/or are desperate for it to fail. We've been shit for so long but Airdrie are still amongst the best heels in the business. Looking forward to seeing where the journey goes and getting it right up as many folk as possible in the process. 

Its no even the getting it up people that we should be keeping our eyes on, its the very fact that everyone and anyone is writing this off before its even started, here's hoping they're wrong and it catches them off guard, its about doing our own business now and tunnel vision is very much required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't have a grievance other than with the article suggesting it's a money making scheme.

I think when you partner up with an agent (which is/has been the suggestion), the model is very much to put the players said agent puts your way in the shop window for them to ultimately move on. Hopefully that results in the club benefitting on the park and also through getting a cut in terms of transfer fees. For instance if Robert has a great few months and think it’s more likely he’s sold on than signing a contract extension as someone else suggested. However the agent then hopefully has a replacement they can bring in. So agent maybe makes some money, club might hopefully make some money and club benefits by getting better players than we might have been able to get (and if via loans paying reduced wages) I presume is the hope.

*edited to add that’s just my thoughts/take

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say you bring in 4 players who are way better that League 1 level and smoosh the league, is that the business model for the Championship too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Its no even the getting it up people that we should be keeping our eyes on, its the very fact that everyone and anyone is writing this off before its even started, here's hoping they're wrong and it catches them off guard, its about doing our own business now and tunnel vision is very much required.

The c!ub has to be applauded for this,   it has been proved over the last few years that we cannot attract the requiured calibre of player to get us out this league for various reasons, normally lack of money,  in all honesty a playoff place has is possibly still is our ceiling, and we have a great record playing Russian roulette with that......

I would imagine the club loses a lot more money than we think year on year and going with the status quo over a number of years this becomes unsustainable..

 I would doubt we would make much on this initial Robert deal but think ahead the same bigger club scouts might even notice our own talent MCcann, Kerr etc that could make the club money...

 

The press will criticise and praise due to the fact none of the elite have tried this ,   has this got the potential to have more traction than th e Archibald era..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Passionate said:

The c!ub has to be applauded for this,   it has been proved over the last few years that we cannot attract the requiured calibre of player to get us out this league for various reasons, normally lack of money,  in all honesty a playoff place has is possibly still is our ceiling, and we have a great record playing Russian roulette with that......

I would imagine the club loses a lot more money than we think year on year and going with the status quo over a number of years this becomes unsustainable..

 I would doubt we would make much on this initial Robert deal but think ahead the same bigger club scouts might even notice our own talent MCcann, Kerr etc that could make the club money...

 

The press will criticise and praise due to the fact none of the elite have tried this ,   has this got the potential to have more traction than th e Archibald era..

Exactly. We've tried and failed for many a year to get out of this league with the same model year on year, things needed freshened up and it looks like we are going in the right direction. Everyone must get behind it or it'll never be a full success. 

 

Looking forward to the next announcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MacGafraidh said:

Say you bring in 4 players who are way better that League 1 level and smoosh the league, is that the business model for the Championship too?

Isn't the plan for almost every team sign a group of players that will win your league/ensure progression year on year? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...