The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

10 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:
13 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:
We are unlikely to know the ins and outs of said deals that being even if there is very little fee generated its still more than has been in previous years. He could also turn out to be a total star and fire us well on our way to getting out of this league. I genuinely don't see your grievances here, we've stayed in this league with a total failure of a setup these changes could be the catalyst to changing our fortunes.

I don't have a grievance other than with the article suggesting it's a money making scheme.

There's going to be more opportunities than Thomas Robert for us to make money from this setup. Enjoy the ride.

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Excuse me for being thick but which paper is this and is it all Scott Mcdermo... , whoever that is? The sub heading certainly condemns and praises in one sentence. How many young guys have come through in the last few seasons before being shifted on?

Last season Kelty paid a nominal fee for Cammy Russell I think as did Arbroath for Scott Stewart though it would be generous to include either of them. Says more about Kelty's desperation/willingness to throw money at any and every player IMO. 

Before him - probably Rohan Ferguson? Tony Watt, Liam Coogans and Jordan Allan in recent(ish) times as well which for a club our size is an excellent ratio. How many other clubs in the third tier have sold 6 (including Russell and Stewart) of their homegrown players in the last ten years however big or small the fee? Albeit with mixed degrees of success and Russell being sold to play at a much lower level. Nicky Cadden and Ricki Lamie have also gone on to play at a good standard. 

TBH I would say since Jimmy Boyle's first season as manager Airdrie have been one of the best clubs in the lower leagues at giving their own youth players a chance which makes the article all the more galling. Apart from last season (?) there was probably a smattering of homegrown players in and around the first team squad for the last 10 years. How successful that has been for the first team though is another story. Hence the need and desire to try something different. So I'm afraid I won't be taking that article at all seriously. 

Edited by airdrieman

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Personally I think it is a pretty good article by IMO one of the best reporter's doing the rounds at the moment,   there is no such thing as bad publicity,  People are starting to take notice,  let's all be United and strap ourselves into Harry's express and see where we end up,   Exciting times ahead and hats off to all behind the scenes making this happen..

I've absolutely relished all the people who were raging at the signing and/or are desperate for it to fail. We've been shit for so long but Airdrie are still amongst the best heels in the business. Looking forward to seeing where the journey goes and getting it right up as many folk as possible in the process. 

7 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I've absolutely relished all the people who were raging at the signing and/or are desperate for it to fail. We've been shit for so long but Airdrie are still amongst the best heels in the business. Looking forward to seeing where the journey goes and getting it right up as many folk as possible in the process. 

Its no even the getting it up people that we should be keeping our eyes on, its the very fact that everyone and anyone is writing this off before its even started, here's hoping they're wrong and it catches them off guard, its about doing our own business now and tunnel vision is very much required.

I don't have a grievance other than with the article suggesting it's a money making scheme.

I think when you partner up with an agent (which is/has been the suggestion), the model is very much to put the players said agent puts your way in the shop window for them to ultimately move on. Hopefully that results in the club benefitting on the park and also through getting a cut in terms of transfer fees. For instance if Robert has a great few months and think it’s more likely he’s sold on than signing a contract extension as someone else suggested. However the agent then hopefully has a replacement they can bring in. So agent maybe makes some money, club might hopefully make some money and club benefits by getting better players than we might have been able to get (and if via loans paying reduced wages) I presume is the hope.

*edited to add that’s just my thoughts/take

52 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Its no even the getting it up people that we should be keeping our eyes on, its the very fact that everyone and anyone is writing this off before its even started, here's hoping they're wrong and it catches them off guard, its about doing our own business now and tunnel vision is very much required.

The c!ub has to be applauded for this,   it has been proved over the last few years that we cannot attract the requiured calibre of player to get us out this league for various reasons, normally lack of money,  in all honesty a playoff place has is possibly still is our ceiling, and we have a great record playing Russian roulette with that......

I would imagine the club loses a lot more money than we think year on year and going with the status quo over a number of years this becomes unsustainable..

I would doubt we would make much on this initial Robert deal but think ahead the same bigger club scouts might even notice our own talent MCcann, Kerr etc that could make the club money...

The press will criticise and praise due to the fact none of the elite have tried this ,   has this got the potential to have more traction than th e Archibald era..

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

The c!ub has to be applauded for this,   it has been proved over the last few years that we cannot attract the requiured calibre of player to get us out this league for various reasons, normally lack of money,  in all honesty a playoff place has is possibly still is our ceiling, and we have a great record playing Russian roulette with that......

I would imagine the club loses a lot more money than we think year on year and going with the status quo over a number of years this becomes unsustainable..

I would doubt we would make much on this initial Robert deal but think ahead the same bigger club scouts might even notice our own talent MCcann, Kerr etc that could make the club money...

The press will criticise and praise due to the fact none of the elite have tried this ,   has this got the potential to have more traction than th e Archibald era..

Exactly. We've tried and failed for many a year to get out of this league with the same model year on year, things needed freshened up and it looks like we are going in the right direction. Everyone must get behind it or it'll never be a full success. 

Looking forward to the next announcement.

1 hour ago, MacGafraidh said:

Say you bring in 4 players who are way better that League 1 level and smoosh the league, is that the business model for the Championship too?

Isn't the plan for almost every team sign a group of players that will win your league/ensure progression year on year? 

Gordon Parks having a go at smaller clubs for ditching their youth set up and failing to mention that it's a direct result of the league pulling all funding for just about anyone who isn't an elite club is just peak Gordon Parks. I wouldn't worry boys.

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Isn't the plan for almost every team sign a group of players that will win your league/ensure progression year on year? 

This is exactly the point. Virtually every club at this level operates a 'Club X Factor' approach every single season. The majority of players are released each season, and then each club signs the best of what is available. The good ones move on up the league, the poor ones get released in 12 months. The cycle repeats. Remember that Clyde side that beat Celtic literally had audition matches and were roundly praised for it. And every club in the land has trialists pre-season where they hope to pick up an unknown player who they can profit from.

Ironically, this is the only season in about the last 20 years where we have kept on a large number of last season's squad (I would guess way more than other clubs at this level) yet this is the season when the club is called on X Factor club! The only difference it seems in our approach this season is that some of the players we are going to get for a year are younger guys with potential, rather than seasoned lower league jobbers looking for one last 12 month contract.

At the moment I think the club looks to have the strategy spot on - a solid core of experienced guys who are a known quantity and will maintain a good dressing room, with (hopefully) the addition of a few talented players to make the difference. Even if they turn out to be rubbish we still have the basis of a decent team anyway.

Losing the Reserves isn't ideal but people need to remember that a Reserve set-up is a means to an end - that being a successful first team. There is no point having a Reserve team just for the sake of it. I'm not saying we did, but looking at this season it sounds like the resources needed to run the Reserves would take away from those needed for the first team. If that is the case then it defeats the purpose of a Reserve team and so it needs to go.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/coronavirus-joint-response-group-update-14-july/?rid=14258

The Joint Response Group has been examining the optimum summer transfer window for Scottish football clubs, with consideration to the impact of COVID-19 on domestic and international movement of players.

A request submitted by the Scottish FA to open the transfer window from today (Tuesday, 14 July) until midnight on Monday, 5 October has now been approved by FIFA.

Seems a sensible enough accommodation. 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/coronavirus-joint-response-group-update-14-july/?rid=14258

The Joint Response Group has been examining the optimum summer transfer window for Scottish football clubs, with consideration to the impact of COVID-19 on domestic and international movement of players.

A request submitted by the Scottish FA to open the transfer window from today (Tuesday, 14 July) until midnight on Monday, 5 October has now been approved by FIFA.

Seems a sensible enough accommodation. 

Doesn't really change anything for us as our season is expected to start in October, but will be interesting to see how it affects the Premiership, with them planning an August start

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Doesn't really change anything for us as our season is expected to start in October, but will be interesting to see how it affects the Premiership, with them planning an August start

It at least confirms that lower league clubs will be able to make signings through September, too. 

It at least confirms that lower league clubs will be able to make signings through September, too. 

Aye. Sensible to extend it. Perhaps even could've been extended until the end of October for lower league clubs as we would usually be allowed a little time after the start of the season to conclude signings

5 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Aye. Sensible to extend it. Perhaps even could've been extended until the end of October for lower league clubs as we would usually be allowed a little time after the start of the season to conclude signings

Yeah, I suppose this season once the league starts we are all going to be settled and will have to be content with what we have... until the January window a few months down the line. 

I wonder if the increased number of loan players hinted at in this BBC article are going to come to pass or not. That could be significant for a lot of clubs in the lower leagues-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53375596

The SFA and the SPFL are looking into extending the transfer window for Championship, League One and League Two clubs. They are also looking at increasing the number of loan players from four to six, and to extending the period when you can sign players on loan.

This doesn't appear in the SFA update today, so perhaps not.