The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

How much is known by folk on here about Walker and Burke? I know Moore is a winger and Hughes is a striker but those two have been described only as defenders so I'm not sure if they're centre backs or full backs?

Pretty sure Burke is a centre half and Walker is a right back.

Never seen many reserve games last season but went to the cup final at Livingston and I was impressed with Walker. Looked a solid defender and had quite a decent game, not surprised to see him being kept on.

22 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I really like Kerr as a player, solid defender and comfortable on the ball, but I wasn't convinced by him in midfield last season, which is a shame because I thought it was a good idea before they tried it. He could maybe be used as a holding midfielder that sits between defence and midfield, a bit like Wedderburn was doing at the end of last season, but I'd prefer to keep him challenging Crighton and Fordyce while bringing in more natural midfielders.

Yeah I'm the same. When he first came he took too many unnecessary risks at the back but he learned quickly and when he played at the back towards the end of the season he was excellent.

He is good on the ball by defender standards, but it's a totally different game going from defence to midfield. Just because someone can play it out from the back doesn't mean they can just slot into midfield. It's a bit like when people think a good attacking full-back could push up and play on the wing, when in reality it is totally different.

To be honest I haven't seen enough of him to really tell so not hugely opposed to it. It would depend on the system we played, if we have 3 in the middle with 2 more creative players then he would be decent as a sitting one I'm sure. But the likelihood is we will have McKay in the middle already, having Kerr and McKay would put a lot of pressure on the third midfielder to be creative.

From his own point of view it's important that he gets a run in one position and isn't just moved around and used to fill in gaps (same actually applies to McKay too). I was never Sean McIntosh's biggest fan but there's no doubt he suffered by being used in about 4 different positions so never really got any better in one of them - I see some potential similarities here. It's useful for the club to have versatile players but I'm not sure it's so good for younger players to be moved around. I hope Murray has a clear idea of where he sees him and he gets a run at some point - although if it is defence he'll have to wait his chance to get in ahead of Crighton and Fordyce. Maybe with a compressed season with less rest time there is an argument for just keeping him at centre back and rotating the 3 of them, maybe not every week, but bringing him in every few games.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

4 hours ago, DiamondJack85 said:

Pretty sure Burke is a centre half and Walker is a right back.

Never seen many reserve games last season but went to the cup final at Livingston and I was impressed with Walker. Looked a solid defender and had quite a decent game, not surprised to see him being kept on.

The club are now up to a squad of 17 ,  we really need to sign 5 quality starters to improve the team and take us to the next level,  We have a also re signed 5 promising young players with no reserve team to p!ay in, could this move prove costly in more ways than one,  

3 hours ago, G_H said:

So when are we going to see this "title winning budget" in action, and beating top flight european teams to signing targets?

Did I miss something? When were either of those claims made? 

24 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Did I miss something? When were either of those claims made? 

This sillyness below that was posted earlier in the thread:

On 27/06/2020 at 18:09, Spanish Armada said:

but from what I hear it’s a title winning budget we have for next season 

Followed by the guessing game in the last couple of pages about Laurent Robert's kid.

The reality is that we have a while to go before any games are played, and there's plenty of time to sign players. But so far from what I see we have lost some first team players, kept on a few unproven kids to pad the squad, and generally have a weaker team.

On 08/07/2020 at 08:14, AndyDD said:

https://www.airdriefc.com/2021news/200708/Striker-Hughes-signs-up

James Hughes joins the first team squad, 17 year old striker. 

Good to see another young, homegrown player coming through. 'One of our own' as well. 

Good news. I haven't seen him play before but have heard only positive things. Brilliant that he's an Airdrie fan too and, apparently, desperate to break into the first team and do well. I know these things shouldn't matter but they do and you always get a buzz when a young homegrown player and/or supporter of the club breaks into the team and performs well. 

23 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think Carrick's a pretty effective "10" and I wouldn't be against him in that role. He's a grafter, he's intelligent and he can chip in with goals. I'd be happy with him there if we had a "marquee" striker signing.

That's a good shout actually, though I'd still like to see some creative/attacking players signed. I don't think Carrick gets enough credit for his intelligence and footballing ability. Some of his off the ball runs are fantastic and it must have been so frustrating for him playing beside some of the duds we've had the last few years who have neither the ability or footballing brain to pick him out.  

1 minute ago, G_H said:

This sillyness below that was posted earlier in the thread:

Followed by the guessing game in the last couple of pages about Laurent Robert's kid.

The reality is that we have a while to go before any games are played, and there's plenty of time to sign players. But so far from what I see we have lost some first team players, kept on a few unproven kids to pad the squad, and generally have a weaker team.

Ahh right I see, with you now. Wondered if i'd missed some choice quote from Stuart Millar for a moment there. 

Proof will be in the pudding I guess. Still only July and not kicking a ball until October so i'm quite relaxed about the lack of replacements for the released players. 

I suppose it is technically possible to have a 'title winning budget' this time around and also have a weaker team, IF the standard is just lower right across the board and everyone ends up weaker than last season. Who knows. Maybe we will be the least weakened of a weakened bunch haha. 

We shall but see. 

2 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Good news. I haven't seen him play before but have heard only positive things. Brilliant that he's an Airdrie fan too and, apparently, desperate to break into the first team and do well. I know these things shouldn't matter but they do and you always get a buzz when a young homegrown player and/or supporter of the club breaks into the team and performs well. 

That's a good shout actually, though I'd still like to see some creative/attacking players signed. I don't think Carrick gets enough credit for his intelligence and footballing ability. Some of his off the ball runs are fantastic and it must have been so frustrating for him playing beside some of the duds we've had the last few years who have neither the ability or footballing brain to pick him out.  

I know what you mean, it adds an extra wee bonus point to it. 

Agreed about Carrick, watching him off the ball at times you can see he played at a higher level earlier in his career. A constantly working football brain. Even when our players don't pick up on it, he tends to at least drag a defender or two away to leave room for the, ahem, less sophisticated move we do make. Delighted to have him for the season ahead. 

Cannae wait for Player Of The Year 2020/2021 and future France International Thomas Robert to rip the shite out sides this season. 

Trophy now and call it there lads?