The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

It's decidedly out of character for Stirling Albion to be outgunning anyone when it comes to wages so I'm not sure what to make of this.  We are fan-owned and run prudently (off the pitch at least).  Quite possible we made a very generous offer but I would doubt it would be anything you'd categorise as "silly" money.  Leave that for Cove Rangers.

30 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

It's decidedly out of character for Stirling Albion to be outgunning anyone when it comes to wages so I'm not sure what to make of this.  We are fan-owned and run prudently (off the pitch at least).  Quite possible we made a very generous offer but I would doubt it would be anything you'd categorise as "silly" money.  Leave that for Cove Rangers.

When Ryan was with us the first time round I think it’s fair to say he literally won us games on his own at times. 
If, in a shortened season, the plan is to have a solid, workmanlike (relatively cheap!) team with Andy Ryan up front then it’s not a bad plan. 

2 hours ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

When Ryan was with us the first time round I think it’s fair to say he literally won us games on his own at times. 
If, in a shortened season, the plan is to have a solid, workmanlike (relatively cheap!) team with Andy Ryan up front then it’s not a bad plan. 

I dont think there really is a plan as such as of yet,  we need a start date and number of games we will play first.   Would expect signing movement at start of August if starting in middle of October if so preseason would probably start third week august....

Look on the bright side the new umbro strips should be unveiled next week according to SM they were being unveiled this month.

3 hours ago, BinoBalls said:

£400ish PW wages was the figure quoted to me last night from a manager of an unnamed club who was after him too and was told he was Stirling bound

39 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

£400ish PW wages was the figure quoted to me last night from a manager of an unnamed club who was after him too and was told he was Stirling bound

It sounds like Airdrie were never in the running for Ryan after all.    Good luck to the lad at the binos.

Sore one to take and if we have beaten off rivals to get max currie I don’t see why we couldn’t have beaten off Stirling to him. Disappointed and surprised he’s dropped so low and to a team who haven’t even been competing at the top end, really thought he was destined for bigger and better things when he left first time round. Genuinely believe he’d have gone on a scored a good few in the run in. But the show goes on and with gal and carrick signed up if we add another decent quality striker our strike force will be as good as any in the league . Wish chucky all the best for the rest of the career glad he can’t come back to haunt us for now.

54 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Sore one to take and if we have beaten off rivals to get max currie I don’t see why we couldn’t have beaten off Stirling to him. Disappointed and surprised he’s dropped so low and to a team who haven’t even been competing at the top end, really thought he was destined for bigger and better things when he left first time round. Genuinely believe he’d have gone on a scored a good few in the run in. But the show goes on and with gal and carrick signed up if we add another decent quality striker our strike force will be as good as any in the league . Wish chucky all the best for the rest of the career glad he can’t come back to haunt us for now.

I’ll give a you a clue.....the mystery benefactor/investor had links with Airdrie ;) and offered Andy Ryan crazy wages for a part time level and a hefty lump sum upfront :o

Edited by Spanish Armada

6 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Think the extra £125pw on offer from Stirling may or may not have tempted him haha. 

I can't get over Stirling paying that much too but supposedly they have always paid good money to players (Dylan mackin and Daryl Duffy had good money lately)

I'm in the minority in not being fussed about not signing Ryan. He had one good season with us, however it is worth remembering that in terms of goals per minutes on the pitch Leighton McIntosh had a better goalscoring record (yes...). Ryan didn't hit penalties, unlike McIntosh, which affects that. But equally, Ryan was playing in a ridiculously attacking side, McIntosh played up on his own in a dire defensive side. Even compared to Callum Gallagher this season, his goals per game isn't massively different.

He's scored 10 league goals in the last 3 years, and didn't add anything to us this year, although I assume he wasn't fully fit. I don't say this to talk him down, only to point out that us being drawn into spending money we can't afford to try and sign him would have been a huge risk, and certainly not something I'd be doing. He was great to watch that season, but the love Airdrie fans have for him does seem a bit over the top for me. I think it's probably a reflection of the poor quality we've had to endure for so long that one good season has him held in such high regard.

There will be a ridiculous amount of players available this season, plenty of really good ones from a higher level. More than any other this is the season not to spend your budget early and to properly see what is available and who we can get. Good luck to Ryan, always put in a real shift for us, but perfectly happy for us to look elsewhere.

21 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm in the minority in not being fussed about not signing Ryan. He had one good season with us, however it is worth remembering that in terms of goals per minutes on the pitch Leighton McIntosh had a better goalscoring record (yes...). Ryan didn't hit penalties, unlike McIntosh, which affects that. But equally, Ryan was playing in a ridiculously attacking side, McIntosh played up on his own in a dire defensive side. Even compared to Callum Gallagher this season, his goals per game isn't massively different.

He's scored 10 league goals in the last 3 years, and didn't add anything to us this year, although I assume he wasn't fully fit. I don't say this to talk him down, only to point out that us being drawn into spending money we can't afford to try and sign him would have been a huge risk, and certainly not something I'd be doing. He was great to watch that season, but the love Airdrie fans have for him does seem a bit over the top for me. I think it's probably a reflection of the poor quality we've had to endure for so long that one good season has him held in such high regard.

There will be a ridiculous amount of players available this season, plenty of really good ones from a higher level. More than any other this is the season not to spend your budget early and to properly see what is available and who we can get. Good luck to Ryan, always put in a real shift for us, but perfectly happy for us to look elsewhere.

Ryan hit penalties the first time Round after beany missed a couple 

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 00:05, Diamonds are Forever said:

He had a good partner playing alongside him and a midfield creating a lot of chances, unfortunately we don't currently have a midfield who can produce a defencesplitting pass, to open up defences. 

Totally depressing factoid, now that Stranrear have been relegated we enter season 2020-21 as  the only club to have remained in Scottish League Division 1 since its formation in 2013.   Seven years, three different owners, nine managers (including temporary appointments) and a whole shitload of very average players.  Very little prospect of breaking that mould in the foreseeable future, welcome to Stagnation F.C.