The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

If thats true they must be offering him silly money....full time wages to play part time? I can't see any other reason why a Championship level player would move to League 2.

Think we learned our lesson 2 years ago that paying over the odds for players can turn out costly business.

42 minutes ago, DiamondJack85 said:

If thats true they must be offering him silly money....full time wages to play part time? I can't see any other reason why a Championship level player would move to League 2.

Think we learned our lesson 2 years ago that paying over the odds for players can turn out costly business.

Or can turn out badly when your back up striker is ALLY ROY 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, DiamondJack85 said:

If true it could be a well paid part time gig and also a full time job that Stirling have got him, players have to make ends meet and realise the big money move isn't happening....

9 hours ago, DiamondJack85 said:

Stirling seem to be spending big as they just employed a scout, opposition analyst and a sports scientist too.

Disappointing; one would assume we were keen on signing him up. Was starting to really come onto a game when things were called to a halt and is far too good for League 2. 

Either they have money behind them, or he's going to work it around a non-football fulltime job, I guess. 

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Disappointing; one would assume we were keen on signing him up. Was starting to really come onto a game when things were called to a halt and is far too good for League 2. 

Either they have money behind them, or he's going to work it around a non-football fulltime job, I guess. 

Ridiculous wages he was offered for part time is a rumour flying about

Losing out on Smith was disappointing but it was easy to understand. This one is baffling. I suppose it's hard to argue with Ryan signing for the club offering more money since it's his livelihood and at this level the money is important, but it's hard to understand how Stirling Albion can outprice us. If the money getting offered was truly more than Ryan's worth to us then fair enough that we haven't got ourselves into a pointless bidding war, but if we've been needlessly stingy I would be extremely disappointed.

It's disappointing but no point in spending silly money on players, especially during a pandemic, for a season that we've no idea when/if it will take place. 

Same thing happened with Nathan Austin last year and our forward options turned out alright last year. 

There's plenty of time to strengthen the squad (remember, we might not be playing until January! if at all) and there will be a TON of players available. 

59 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Losing out on Smith was disappointing but it was easy to understand. This one is baffling. I suppose it's hard to argue with Ryan signing for the club offering more money since it's his livelihood and at this level the money is important, but it's hard to understand how Stirling Albion can outprice us. If the money getting offered was truly more than Ryan's worth to us then fair enough that we haven't got ourselves into a pointless bidding war, but if we've been needlessly stingy I would be extremely disappointed.

I'd be surprised if it was only us and Stirling who were interested in him...plenty of clubs in the Championship and L1 would have been in for him no doubt so surely someone at that level would have snapped him up if it was down to us being needlessly stingy.

I'd say its more likely took a very lucrative offer to get him to head down to L2 and play part time.

59 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I'd be surprised if it was only us and Stirling who were interested in him...plenty of clubs in the Championship and L1 would have been in for him no doubt so surely someone at that level would have snapped him up if it was down to us being needlessly stingy.

I'd say its more likely took a very lucrative offer to get him to head down to L2 and play part time.

I think you're probably right. It's been a strange time in Scottish football these last two seasons with teams in the fourth tier like Cove, Queen's Park and Stirling Albion and even Lowland League Kelty Hearts able to offer lucrative deals to players that could be playing high end League One or even Championship football

I think you're probably right. It's been a strange time in Scottish football these last two seasons with teams in the fourth tier like Cove, Queen's Park and Stirling Albion and even Lowland League Kelty Hearts able to offer lucrative deals to players that could be playing high end League One or even Championship football

Which begs the question of where the money is coming from.

3 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Which begs the question of where the money is coming from.

Few teams offering a job/apprenticeship and a good part time wage these days. That how Kelty Hearts have been attracting players. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case with Andy Ryan.

Seen this on twitter, wouldn't mind some clarity on it...

I see the guy has followed it up and said “Effectively the club has gone into hibernation until the turnstiles start clicking again.” Sure it’s just wording. Not seen any other clubs refer to themselves as having “ceased trading”. Presume just terminology.