Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts


I’d have him back if we were getting the quality of player he brought over at the time. Was brilliant stuff to watch once they got going. Would love to know the full story. His autobiography may be interesting, would be good to get his side of the story.
I've always wanted to hear his side of the story tbh.
As you say, on field, at the time it was incredible, and the fact that 20 years later we're still salivating over them, I'd have a group like that again if it gave us another Broto, Calderon, Sanjuan and Fernandez to talk about for another 20 years.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The football was as exciting as any I’ve seen watching Airdrie, but he didn’t have the money. The company he set up to run Airdrie for half a season left the following creditors list.

Would love to have seen where we’d have got to in the Scottish Cup, but I can’t take Archibald talking about investment all that seriously.

The Creditors

HM Customs & Excise (VAT): (pounds) 8325

Steve Archibald: (pounds) 275,000

HM Customs & Excise: (pounds) 42,291

Peter Day: (pounds) 15,000

Inland Revenue: (pounds) 120,000

Provision for claims not yet received: (pounds) 50,000

Players' unpaid wages:

Antonio Calderon: (pounds) 38,745

Salvador Capin: (pounds) 36,080

Jesus Sanjuan: (pounds) 24,900

Fabrice Moreau: (pounds) 37,000

Provision for four other

players: (pounds) 80,000

Auto Masters Ltd: (pounds) 264

Allsport Medical: (pounds) 185

Automatic Retailing: (pounds) 60

Almet Doors: (pounds) 823

AFS Leasing: (pounds) 298

British Telecom Insolvency Group: (pounds) 431

Caledonian University: (pounds) 194

Claymore Dairies: (pounds) 877

Craigmonnie Hotel: (pounds) 1225

Deep Freeze: (pounds) 276

Fas Productions: (pounds) 603

Greentech Ltd: (pounds) 101

Jay Coaches: (pounds) 1370

Lombard North Central: (pounds) 5357

McGrigor Donald: (pounds) 4340

Parks of Hamilton Coach Hire: (pounds) 1460

Print Warehouse: (pounds) 311

Rock Steady Security Ltd: (pounds) 2177

Scottish Power: (pounds) 81

Scottish & Universal: (pounds) 353

Shevill's Taxis: (pounds) 83

Strathclyde Police: (pounds) 9671

St Andrew's Ambulance Service: (pounds) 576

Umbro International: (pounds) 113

Watson & Philip Foodservice: (pounds) 2046

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

The football was as exciting as any I’ve seen watching Airdrie, but he didn’t have the money. The company he set up to run Airdrie for half a season left the following creditors list.

Would love to have seen where we’d have got to in the Scottish Cup, but I can’t take Archibald talking about investment all that seriously.

The Creditors

HM Customs & Excise (VAT): (pounds) 8325

Steve Archibald: (pounds) 275,000

HM Customs & Excise: (pounds) 42,291

Peter Day: (pounds) 15,000

Inland Revenue: (pounds) 120,000

Provision for claims not yet received: (pounds) 50,000

Players' unpaid wages:

Antonio Calderon: (pounds) 38,745

Salvador Capin: (pounds) 36,080

Jesus Sanjuan: (pounds) 24,900

Fabrice Moreau: (pounds) 37,000

Provision for four other

players: (pounds) 80,000

Auto Masters Ltd: (pounds) 264

Allsport Medical: (pounds) 185

Automatic Retailing: (pounds) 60

Almet Doors: (pounds) 823

AFS Leasing: (pounds) 298

British Telecom Insolvency Group: (pounds) 431

Caledonian University: (pounds) 194

Claymore Dairies: (pounds) 877

Craigmonnie Hotel: (pounds) 1225

Deep Freeze: (pounds) 276

Fas Productions: (pounds) 603

Greentech Ltd: (pounds) 101

Jay Coaches: (pounds) 1370

Lombard North Central: (pounds) 5357

McGrigor Donald: (pounds) 4340

Parks of Hamilton Coach Hire: (pounds) 1460

Print Warehouse: (pounds) 311

Rock Steady Security Ltd: (pounds) 2177

Scottish Power: (pounds) 81

Scottish & Universal: (pounds) 353

Shevill's Taxis: (pounds) 83

Strathclyde Police: (pounds) 9671

St Andrew's Ambulance Service: (pounds) 576

Umbro International: (pounds) 113

Watson & Philip Foodservice: (pounds) 2046

Had he managed to conclude a deal, the money Celtic paid for Fernandez and Broto would have covered all of that many times over. Unfortunately, it was not to be

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, AB1974 said:

Had he managed to conclude a deal, the money Celtic paid for Fernandez and Broto would have covered all of that many times over. Unfortunately, it was not to be

Not really.

Celtic paid about 1.5 million for Fernandez and 30K for Broto.

Those debts amount to £760K for six months of operation.

Fernandez and Broto joined Airdrie is 2000 and moved to Celtic in 2003.

Uneducated guess, Archibald would have had to sell a Fernandez every season in order to break even.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not really.
Celtic paid about 1.5 million for Fernandez and 30K for Broto.
Those debts amount to £760K for six months of operation.
Fernandez and Broto joined Airdrie is 2000 and moved to Celtic in 2003.
Uneducated guess, Archibald would have had to sell a Fernandez every season in order to break even.


Fernandez further developed himself at Livi and was man of the match when they won the League Cup against Hibs.

He was already class, but I don’t think we’d have got anything like that for him. We were also in danger of going down and winning the Scottish Cup!

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Fernandez further developed himself at Livi and was man of the match when they won the League Cup against Hibs.

He was already class, but I don’t think we’d have got anything like that for him. We were also in danger of going down and winning the Scottish Cup!



Yeah, it’s all speculation but the evidence suggests Archibald’s business model wasn’t likely to succeed.

Still, the football was absolutely cracking for a wee while. Especially in the last 4 or 5 games when we started to look unbeatable (except when playing Clyde).

I think the gossip at the time was that he was hoping for 750K for a quick sale of Fernandez with a view to backfilling with Nacho Novo.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Not really.

Celtic paid about 1.5 million for Fernandez and 30K for Broto.

Those debts amount to £760K for six months of operation.

Fernandez and Broto joined Airdrie is 2000 and moved to Celtic in 2003.

Uneducated guess, Archibald would have had to sell a Fernandez every season in order to break even

My recollection was Broto's fee was much higher. My memory obviously isn't what it once was!

The Fernandez cash would have covered costs mind you, and given project a kick start. Whether he could have kept producing players to sell on is another matter. He clearly thought he could. We will never know.

Hopefully, we can do something similar going forward. It would be good to see such calibre of player in a diamond again. Not seen much since!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

 


Fernandez further developed himself at Livi and was man of the match when they won the League Cup against Hibs.

He was already class, but I don’t think we’d have got anything like that for him. We were also in danger of going down and winning the Scottish Cup!
 

 

Not sure he developed further at Livi. He was class, as you say.

Doubt we would have gone down - we were getting better by the game. Agree about Scottish Cup - we had a good chance of going to at least Semis.

Anyway, all water under the bridge. Just a shame - who knows where it could have taken us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very early to talk about this but if there's truth to the Currie story and we're able to sign Ryan and Smith (who are both available and Millar has expressed interest in) we have the makings of a strong squad for next season, whenever it starts. Two goalies, back four, and few good forwards. All we're missing is the midfield.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My recollection was Broto's fee was much higher. My memory obviously isn't what it once was!

He was out of contract with Livingston at the end of that season (and I think they were looking to cut costs) so it was a reduced fee when Celtic signed him in that January. I’m sure if he was under a longer contract his value would have been higher.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Moonball said:

Good luck to Max. You're getting a fantastic keeper.

Thanks for posting this collection . It shows his qualities and I also liked seeing all the different grounds as well. I had wondered if you would have any Airdrie games just to keep me motivated for the eventual return.  Good penalty saves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have to say I do like this signing.   Hes looked like a solid goalie in the games against us.  Probably the same as Hutton last year in terms of not having a strong defence infront of him so hes had more work to do than other goalies in the league.   Still young too so I'm sure he will get better.  

Quite sad to see goalie gal leave aswell though.  Last season he looked good before his injury.  Did well to some back after being out for so long then when he gets his chance kept ( I think ) 5 clean sheets in 7 games.  All the best to him.  Hope he gets chance with another club at a good level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Hutts is only there part time . Surely Currie’s deal is full time so he’s in every day . Agree with the sentiment that it’s very encouraging if we manage to pull Currie, Ryan and smith off with a chunk of last years squad we’d be building a very capable team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

If Hutts is only there part time . Surely Currie’s deal is full time so he’s in every day . Agree with the sentiment that it’s very encouraging if we manage to pull Currie, Ryan and smith off with a chunk of last years squad we’d be building a very capable team.

If you read the story it clearly states a “part time deal”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...