The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

[emoji23] who are you the data analyst?

Nah but if you spend any time on here you’ll know the most frequent criticism applied to Airdrie keepers is “great shot stopper but doesn’t command his area at set pieces”.

16 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Not really.

Celtic paid about 1.5 million for Fernandez and 30K for Broto.

Those debts amount to £760K for six months of operation.

Fernandez and Broto joined Airdrie is 2000 and moved to Celtic in 2003.

Uneducated guess, Archibald would have had to sell a Fernandez every season in order to break even

My recollection was Broto's fee was much higher. My memory obviously isn't what it once was!

The Fernandez cash would have covered costs mind you, and given project a kick start. Whether he could have kept producing players to sell on is another matter. He clearly thought he could. We will never know.

Hopefully, we can do something similar going forward. It would be good to see such calibre of player in a diamond again. Not seen much since!

15 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Fernandez further developed himself at Livi and was man of the match when they won the League Cup against Hibs.

He was already class, but I don’t think we’d have got anything like that for him. We were also in danger of going down and winning the Scottish Cup!

Not sure he developed further at Livi. He was class, as you say.

Doubt we would have gone down - we were getting better by the game. Agree about Scottish Cup - we had a good chance of going to at least Semis.

Anyway, all water under the bridge. Just a shame - who knows where it could have taken us.

Very early to talk about this but if there's truth to the Currie story and we're able to sign Ryan and Smith (who are both available and Millar has expressed interest in) we have the makings of a strong squad for next season, whenever it starts. Two goalies, back four, and few good forwards. All we're missing is the midfield.

My recollection was Broto's fee was much higher. My memory obviously isn't what it once was!

He was out of contract with Livingston at the end of that season (and I think they were looking to cut costs) so it was a reduced fee when Celtic signed him in that January. I’m sure if he was under a longer contract his value would have been higher.

23 hours ago, Moonball said:

Good luck to Max. You're getting a fantastic keeper.

Thanks for posting this collection . It shows his qualities and I also liked seeing all the different grounds as well. I had wondered if you would have any Airdrie games just to keep me motivated for the eventual return.  Good penalty saves.

Have to say I do like this signing.   Hes looked like a solid goalie in the games against us.  Probably the same as Hutton last year in terms of not having a strong defence infront of him so hes had more work to do than other goalies in the league.   Still young too so I'm sure he will get better.  

Quite sad to see goalie gal leave aswell though.  Last season he looked good before his injury.  Did well to some back after being out for so long then when he gets his chance kept ( I think ) 5 clean sheets in 7 games.  All the best to him.  Hope he gets chance with another club at a good level. 

If Hutts is only there part time . Surely Currie’s deal is full time so he’s in every day . Agree with the sentiment that it’s very encouraging if we manage to pull Currie, Ryan and smith off with a chunk of last years squad we’d be building a very capable team.

11 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

If Hutts is only there part time . Surely Currie’s deal is full time so he’s in every day . Agree with the sentiment that it’s very encouraging if we manage to pull Currie, Ryan and smith off with a chunk of last years squad we’d be building a very capable team.

If you read the story it clearly states a “part time deal”

1 hour ago, diamondman said:

Just hope we have enough money behind the Club to keep the wages flowing for signed players until we get back on the park; and more pointedly in front of a crowd whenever that might be.

I would think that they are all on fulough, so possibly reclaiming some losses over the last couple of months,  have total faith in SM and PH in moving the club forward, at the moment there are so many moving parts,  reconstruction, no start date, covid, signing players, discussions with Harry etc..  Frustrating for fans , hopefully according to  reports today we might get started in October for the Betfred followed on directly by the league,  this ideal world scenario, anything can happen still...

Playing wise I would think pre season would start in August ( let's look on the positive side ffs).    We have been linked with Dunsmore of East Fife (according to EF thread) and Currie the keeper from Stranraer who has apparently s signed a Pre contract agreement again according to the Stranraer thread.  I would think the club will have a number of players in mind or quite advanced in talks,the club just need to know what is happening .....

Regarding league construction is looks like we will be in League 1 whatever happens,  should the club vote for a 14 team top league saving Hearts, therefore Partick and Falkirk will end up in the championship as a result,  leaving us probably as favourites for league 1 or do we vote for the status quo which will ensure hearts are down down and we play Partick and Falkirk which will realistically lessen our chances of getting out of this league....

21 hours ago, Passionate said:

I would think that they are all on fulough, so possibly reclaiming some losses over the last couple of months,  have total faith in SM and PH in moving the club forward, at the moment there are so many moving parts,  reconstruction, no start date, covid, signing players, discussions with Harry etc..  Frustrating for fans , hopefully according to  reports today we might get started in October for the Betfred followed on directly by the league,  this ideal world scenario, anything can happen still...

Playing wise I would think pre season would start in August ( let's look on the positive side ffs).    We have been linked with Dunsmore of East Fife (according to EF thread) and Currie the keeper from Stranraer who has apparently s signed a Pre contract agreement again according to the Stranraer thread.  I would think the club will have a number of players in mind or quite advanced in talks,the club just need to know what is happening .....

Regarding league construction is looks like we will be in League 1 whatever happens,  should the club vote for a 14 team top league saving Hearts, therefore Partick and Falkirk will end up in the championship as a result,  leaving us probably as favourites for league 1 or do we vote for the status quo which will ensure hearts are down down and we play Partick and Falkirk which will realistically lessen our chances of getting out of this league....

Dunsmore is a no go

Regards the colts debacle, I've sent Airdrie an email outlining my opposition to this and emphasising it in the strongest possible terms (no season ticket, withdraw club 1924 membership, no attendance as long as they are in there etc etc) and have asked them to confirm if they plan to make any sort of a statement on this or any of the other recon plans that have been floated.

I expect no reply to be forthcoming, but one never knows for sure. 

Regards the colts debacle, I've sent Airdrie an email outlining my opposition to this and emphasising it in the strongest possible terms (no season ticket, withdraw club 1924 membership, no attendance as long as they are in there etc etc) and have asked them to confirm if they plan to make any sort of a statement on this or any of the other recon plans that have been floated.

They’ll probably just block you on Twitter.

3 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Good stuff, will do the same at some point. I know when this originally reared its ugly head  (or at least during one of the earlier incarnations) the club did get back to me on it.